• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Threading a Factory 10/22 Barrel

NUTT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I've got a 10/22 w/ factory barrel, Hogue stock & some trigger work. It will shoot about 3/4" at 50 yards, give or take, but it is no match for my CZ 452.

I'm thinking of turning this into a dedicated skunk/possum/armadillo/etc gun for the farm. Something that I can bounce around a rack on the 4 wheeler or in the gator and not worry too much about. Also something that I could attach my brand spanking new Sparrow SS to on occasion. I'll probably ditch the cheap 3-9x40 & run an inexpensive red dot on this, leaning towards Primary Arms, with a 25 yard zero.

I'm dropping my CZ off to get threaded this evening and am considering having the gunsmith chop my factory 10/22 barrel from 21" to 16.5" and thread it for the suppressor.

I could buy a higher quality threaded bull barrel but I'd be out ~ $160 for the barrel and another $65 for a new stock. I'd rather keep this one cheap as it isn't for precision work. That said, if chopping the factory sporter barrel is going to open my group up to 4" it won't meet my needs.

Thoughts?

Re: Threading a Factory 10/22 Barrel

For a 4wheeler gun, I would swap stocks to a folding or collapsible stock with a shorter barrel than the factory one. The Red Dot is fine until you want to hit a skunk 75 yards away (because those bastards wreak). Sure you can see it, but it's nice flipping a throw lever on a 1-4x scope to get a better view and sure shot on the head or torso.

With your setup, you can open the channel with a dowel rod and spend $5 on the dowel rod that can double as a "is it dead" poking stick.
smile.gif

A bull barrel will weigh it down and throw off the balance unless it's a whistle pig or another lightweight barrel. Something to think about there. If you like your Hogue, my vote goes to getting a threaded TacSol or Whistle Pig barrel and using the dowel rod to open up your current stock.

I voted cut it down and thread it. You might look at Primary Arms 1-4 illuminated scope for this. I have one on my AR and it's a great all around scope, and good for low light with it's illuminated dot.

My chopped threaded factory 10/22 SS barrel actually shoots better now than when new. I can get less than 2 inch 5 shot groups @ 50yds all day long with bulk .22 using an el cheapo simmons 4moa red dot sight. Has a standard M16A2 flash hider until I get the suppressor. Butler Creek Folding stock, UTG commando railed forearm. This is my dedicated rabbit slayin', pop can destroyin', all around pest control good time plinker and I like it.

The overwhelming leader is chop & thread the factory barrel. Thanks for taking a look & voting. The rifle is at the gunsmith with instructions to do just that. I'll post pictures once the project is complete.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Red Dot is fine until you want to hit a skunk 75 yards away (because those bastards wreak). Sure you can see it, but it's nice flipping a throw lever on a 1-4x scope to get a better view and sure shot on the head or torso. </div></div>

The 1-4 is a great idea; I was thinking about it but was wanting to go cheap. Then I saw this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondakilla98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I voted cut it down and thread it. You might look at Primary Arms 1-4 illuminated scope for this. I have one on my AR and it's a great all around scope, and good for low light with it's illuminated dot.</div></div>

I didn't know that Primary Arms had a 1-4. Since they are, oh, 30 minutes from my house, I'll have to run over there and take a look, maybe have the guys dig through a few in stock & find me a winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slakline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My chopped threaded factory 10/22 SS barrel actually shoots better now than when new. I can get less than 2 inch 5 shot groups @ 50yds all day long with bulk .22 using an el cheapo simmons 4moa red dot sight. </div></div>

Good news! I bet it is because of the re-crowning alone. I'm hoping for similar results.