• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Threading the muzzle or chambering a barrel?

A-Rok

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi folks,
I have a question about threading/crowning the muzzle of a rifle or chambering a new barrel. I've seen pictures of what looks like a precision ground pin that slides into the bore, and you indicate off of that as opposed to the outside diameter of the barrel. This makes sense to me, because the bore of the barrel may have a little bit of run out in relation to the outside diameter of the barrel.

Now, I've been looking for these pins for quite some time. Are there pins specially made for gunsmithing, or is it just a piece of precision ground rod?

Thanks,
-Rok

Re: Threading the muzzle or chambering a barrel?

pacific tool and gauge makes them. they are called "range rods". they have a very shallow taper to them. a bushing sized to just fit in the bore is placed on the narrow end of the rod. the bushing is slipped into the bore until the taper bottoms out on the edge of the bore.

"A little bit of run-out".

There are barrels out there with more then just a little bit.

Pacific Tool and Gage for all your barrel cutting needs.

Midwayusa.com also carries them indicator rods and range rods. you may need the different bushing sizes also.
The one that comes with it I found was a little small for my factory Remington .308 barrel order the bushings from Pacific Tool and Gauge if you need them. You can buy just the ones you need or the whole set.

Nathan

Range rods are fine and available from PT&G as stated. I believe the precision ground pins, that the original poster was referring to, are known as deltronic pins. These are avilable in sets from MSC, McMaster-Carr etc.