• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thunder Beast Dominus

Yes...understood...

My question is will there be any issues using one of my 1/2-5/8s adapters behind the TBAC 5/8s CB mount. As in I have barrels threaded with 1/2 threads that are not .223. Looks like to me the 1/2x28 CB mount only comes with a .223 hole through the middle of it....
Here's the deal.

Using 1/2" threads on bores larger than .223 is a bad idea due to reduced wall thickness. That's why we do not recommend it or make specific ".30 cal" muzzle devices with 1/2 threads. Yes, we know some rifles come that way and that doesn't change our assessment that it's not a good idea. If you drop such a rifle on its muzzle while a can is attached there's a decent chance it might fold right there where the wall thickness is least. Having that last part of the barrel so thin is just not a great idea.

That said, although we can recommend strongly against doing it and not warranty it or guarantee it, we can't prevent people from doing it.

The actual aperture size on the 1/2-28 SR brakes will be larger than .223 because the Dominus-SR system is designed to be used "as is" on both 5.56 and .30 cal F/A or SBR's; however, the 1/2-28 parts will not be labeled for use on .30 cal bores.

@Joshf303 would you be able to (and is the barrel large enough in diameter) to have a gunsmith take off and re-thread to 5/8-24? Usually it’s a pretty nominal fee, like $125 and might be worth not having the headaches and warranty issues using the smaller 1/2 threads.

Thanks for the info @Zak Smith . Call me weird but I put the largest muzzle threads on my precision rifle barrels as I can. M18x1 works for me.

Here's the deal.

Using 1/2" threads on bores larger than .223 is a bad idea due to reduced wall thickness. That's why we do not recommend it or make specific ".30 cal" muzzle devices with 1/2 threads. Yes, we know some rifles come that way and that doesn't change our assessment that it's not a good idea. If you drop such a rifle on its muzzle while a can is attached there's a decent chance it might fold right there where the wall thickness is least. Having that last part of the barrel so thin is just not a great idea.

That said, although we can recommend strongly against doing it and not warranty it or guarantee it, we can't prevent people from doing it.

The actual aperture size on the 1/2-28 SR brakes will be larger than .223 because the Dominus-SR system is designed to be used "as is" on both 5.56 and .30 cal F/A or SBR's; however, the 1/2-28 parts will not be labeled for use on .30 cal bores.

I’m with you, it’s a constant argument....and I’ve had zero issues so far.

None of the 1/2” threaded barrels are over a 6mm bore.

So... is there any issues using an adapter with your 5/8s CB mount? I’m not interested in the SR, FA, capabilities at this point.

Thanks Zak...

@Joshf303 would you be able to (and is the barrel large enough in diameter) to have a gunsmith take off and re-thread to 5/8-24? Usually it’s a pretty nominal fee, like $125 and might be worth not having the headaches and warranty issues using the smaller 1/2 threads.

Thanks for the info @Zak Smith . Call me weird but I put the largest muzzle threads on my precision rifle barrels as I can. M18x1 works for me.

May be something to measure and look it.

I’m generally in the same mind set as you as far as thread size goes, but the barrels I’m referring to are Sporterish contour or lighter barrels on hunting rigs.

Last edited:
It's under discussion presently.
I’d take two if you do. Ran my .338 Ultra on my 6 BRa comp rifle this past year over my Ultra 7 in part cause of the reduction in noise and it did better on recoil, my only complaint was the length of the rifle when running a barricade.

Reactions: sleeplz
No, the opposite is the case based on size and geometry. The "quantity" in the "less than" is braking performance. The BA (v2) being largest by a big margin is best

The SR brake was designed how it is to: 1. fit inside the SR mount, 2. meet the ASR front-impact spec, and 3. perform how we need it to when "inside" the suppressor.

Reactions: blbennett1288
Correct, but aren’t they only available with a .223 caliber bore....
It would be better I think to have a COMPETENT gunsmith open the aperture than to have a thread adapter.
That’s how I roll too. I had a 300NM barrel made with 3/4” threads. I want as much meat as I can get on the barrel.

Right, but the 1/2x28 CB brakes aren't, the bore of the brake is sized for .223.

The available brake list on the Dominus appears to be copied from the CB brake page, and here is what the asterisk says on the CB brake page:

* NOTE: 1/2-28 THREADS ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR LARGER THAN .223 CALIBER BORES BECAUSE THE ROOT DIAMETER OF THE THREADS LEAVES TOO LITTLE WALL THICKNESS. PLEASE REFER TO OUR THREAD SPECIFICATIONS PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION.

Reactions: gro
See if you can pick up what I’m laying down

Attachments

• 333044B0-71DC-4012-B26D-D1F471C56248.jpeg
    333044B0-71DC-4012-B26D-D1F471C56248.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 337
I asked about the CB mount....
And they said they don't recommend 1/2x28 for 30 cal. Too thin. You don't want to break off your threads.

Earlier in the thread people recommended threading the barrel to 5/8x24. That might not work for you depending on your barrel but I'm pretty sure a 9/16x24 would work without having to cut back farther than to remove the old thread. The CB 0.30 brakes are available in 9/16x24.

And they said they don't recommend 1/2x28 for 30 cal. Too thin. You don't want to break off your threads.

Earlier in the thread people recommended threading the barrel to 5/8x24. That might not work for you depending on your barrel but I'm pretty sure a 9/16x24 would work without having to cut back farther than to remove the old thread. The CB 0.30 brakes are available in 9/16x24.

I know...I read that and am past it.

Not sure why the SR mount keeps being brought up as that wasn’t my question. Hence my last comment....

Get the 223 CB mount opened up. I assume there wouldn't be any issue with that.

That's probably what I'd do. My 6.5 hunting rifle is threaded 1/2x28, the root to groove thickness with that setup is similar to a 9/16x24 on a .30 cal, so I don't foresee (and haven't had) any problems. If I was running much larger of a bore, I'd try to go 9/16x24, although, most folks running a 1/2x28 thread on a .30 cal seem to get away with it.

Reactions: Joshf303
That's probably what I'd do. My 6.5 hunting rifle is threaded 1/2x28, the root to groove thickness with that setup is similar to a 9/16x24 on a .30 cal, so I don't foresee (and haven't had) any problems. If I was running much larger of a bore, I'd try to go 9/16x24, although, most folks running a 1/2x28 thread on a .30 cal seem to get away with it.

That’s the plan.....

May be something to measure and look it.

I’m generally in the same mind set as you as far as thread size goes, but the barrels I’m referring to are Sporterish contour or lighter barrels on hunting rigs.
What bores are those 1/2x28s on? That can matter.

@Zak Smith, Thank you for coming out with this new can. This is the one i have been waiting for. I seen earlier you said about more options to come for calibers and lengths for this new product line. What are some other details if any that you can release about the rest of the product line? I want this can for sure but wondering if waiting would be best to see what other ones would be an option so i dont regret getting a different or better one that hasnt been finished yet.

Hi,

@TBACRAY brought this suppressor by our booth at Shot Show and it is awesome!!
We are filing for our SOT right now just so we can get several of them for our demo rifles.
This is going to be the suppressor we utilize and submit for all solicitations/tenders we go after.

Ray; if you get around to reading this....We are going to need to order several bipods also.

Sincerely,
Theis

I am not sure if we will "catalog" it, but we can do them on demand or as an RMA.

Good deal.. will be calling this week.

Is it safe to assume the DT version simply has a CB brake permanently attached to the suppressor? (Similar to a 338 Ultra DT)

@Zak Smith, Thank you for coming out with this new can. This is the one i have been waiting for. I seen earlier you said about more options to come for calibers and lengths for this new product line. What are some other details if any that you can release about the rest of the product line? I want this can for sure but wondering if waiting would be best to see what other ones would be an option so i dont regret getting a different or better one that hasnt been finished yet.
The only one I can say for sure is a "K" or "Short" version. I will post here when we are ready to announce specs and numbers.

Reactions: Darqusoull13
Got hands on this at SHOT. Can’t wait to get one of these. I’ll probably get a locking one, but the CB mount version is nuts. Feels fake when you pick it up because it’s so light.

Very interested in getting one of these Dominus suppressors. Trying to decide between CB and SR. For fast semi auto shooting (think 3gun fast, not mag dump), will the CB cut it? I don't want to deal with the can backing off the threads, but I really like the 4oz weight savings of the CB+brake vs SR+brake.

If you're going to exceed the firing schedule spec'd for the Ultra series with the Dominus, the SR is a better choice of mount.

That said, an Ultra 7 can withstand 95% of 3Gun stages on a 16"+ AR.

Hey Zak, i ordered 2 of those cans. You guys called me a little early in the morning last week and in my groggyness i wasn't sure if they said they'd start building them in april or august. It was one of those "A" months.

My name went on the list Feb 7th. Estimated build dates as of a few weeks ago:

Serial numbers for backlogged suppressors ordered "today" would be expected between roughly 01-23-2021 and 05-21-2021. These dates are computed in real time based on our current production status vs. the outstanding orders on the build sheet.

My name went on the list Feb 7th. Estimated build dates as of a few weeks ago:

Serial numbers for backlogged suppressors ordered "today" would be expected between roughly 01-23-2021 and 05-21-2021. These dates are computed in real time based on our current production status vs. the outstanding orders on the build sheet.
mine's updated to 6/2020 timeframe, a week or two after me 338SR

We will post some recoil stuff once we get back into the accelerometer testing with the PULSE. Right now we are doing some different R&D.

With regard to the 7 vs 9 vs Dominus, you can use the published Dominus dB numbers and compare to the Ultra 7/9 PULSE videos we have online. The data is all consistent. But we'll get more videos up too

Can I have a shiny one exactly like this?

Those idiots at the bank gave me a credit card with imaginary money I don’t have on it and I’d like to give you access to it

I too have a piece of plastic and interest in a shiny trinket. @Zak Smith what are the odds of naked versions?

Reactions: deersniper
I’m kinda late to the party. I know they aren’t in anyone’s hands yet, but what’s the fastest way to get a Dominus-SR? Are dealers going to have them available or have those already been claimed? This would be my first suppressor purchase so I am not sure how the process works yet.

Get on the list from a dealer who converted one of their old Ultra orders to Dominus. Mile High is a good option.

Just FYI, we are having a delay due to Coronavirus with the Dominus start of production due to travel restrictions and machine techs. Ultra production is not affected.