• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2012 Schedule

Re: Thunder Valley Precision - Ohio 2012 Schedule

I don't think there are any angles steep enough to worry about. Yes, some shots are down hill, but nothing severe.

i didnt think so either, but if that 499y @ 20^ is right, thats big enough to miss, it wakes it closer to a 470y shot.

this is a list of every possible "posted" shot listed for all events

TVP Range Data
YARDS YARDS
160 512
228 514
268 521
276 526
283 552
329 557
330 560
342 561
346 563
349 566
360 570
366 586
370 587
373 600
391 674
403 704
415 795
418 892
423 938
435 950
440 1048
484 1165

i use this in the summer at my home range to get accurate dope and practice each shot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didnt think so either, but if that 499y @ 20^ is right, thats big enough to miss, it wakes it closer to a 470y shot.</div></div>

That one is probably the only one worth worrying about. Shoot it for 470 and see what happens. It's over a 2 minute target, so there is some room for error. Your shooting position on that target can give you more trouble than the angle.

I did a training day with Rootney last Wed. and I don't remember the 499 shot on short course stage 3 being a problem on elevation. The wind call was pretty interesting though.

Anyone else notice target 1, position 1 of the intimidator is 536 yards, downhill maybe 2°, but if you dope it for 536, you'll be high??? WTF is with that?

My trajectory says I should need 13.25 moa for that target, but it actually takes me 11.25!

Plus, the positioning of the target means a high miss = bullets sails down into a valley and you see no splash! Tricky target!

Turbo
If you are shooting the 1st target on the Intimidator for 536 there is no way your going high, its 563yds. My 560 dope works just fine. That being said on the days you have shot high did you notice if the wind was blowing up the face of the target hill?(hint hint) But yes it is a tricky target

Gents, what is the absolute farthest that one can shoot targets at this rifle range (not as part of a match)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skigolfmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is the plate on top of the last hill is 1650 from the benches.</div></div>

from google i get this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

from google earth, i think it was 1640 ish... but 2 weeks ago i asked tom at the range and he said 1740...

those sat photos are a few years old, and the target could have moved..

Its 1740ish 1650 from pos 1 Intimidaor ...Bonus target

To clairify, it's 1740 from the benches. 1650 from position one and you only engage it on position one if you have enough time remaining when shooting the normal COF.

If you AND your partner have shot at all 4 targets on one in less than 8 minutes and time permits, you can poke at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol a mile would be a tall order for my .300 WM but worth a shot or ten maybe I'll go after i on he 14th. Will Tom be here? </div></div>

You won't have a problem with your WM if you have enough elevation in your scope.

My ears were buring...yes I will be here. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
I'm working every minute of the day except for maybe the five hours I get to sleep to get caught up on all the TVP rifles builds and projects for our customers.
Spending the day on scope orders and form 4's tomorrow for the customers who purchased suppressors here lately.
We are almost finished with our new machine shop and a big thanks to Wayde "The Breeze" for his help the last few weeks.
He and I are also working on the plans for the ELR course and Sniper match. Karl and Shay have been a real big help as well.
Hope to have the ELR course done here in a week or two. Yes, I 'm excited as well but I have limited time to spend on it. We have a plan an should be in good shape once we get back from Shot Show.
See you all soon!

Just think - if only 10% of the shooters that have looked at this topic would actually show up for the matches the events at TVP would be only place to be in 2012!!! See you all at the SHOT show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just think - if only 10% of the shooters that have looked at this topic would actually show up for the matches the events at TVP would be only place to be in 2012!!! See you all at the SHOT show. </div></div>

I just bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 last year and have only shot it at 100yds. I doubt you'd want to see me at a match. But this place does look interesting for a place to take some lessons. Wish it was closer to home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 last year and have only shot it at 100yds. I doubt you'd want to see me at a match. But this place does look interesting for a place to take some lessons. Wish it was closer to home. </div></div>

Everybody has a first day and first match. You'll be fine when you decide to make the trip. TV is a great place to get started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just think - if only 10% of the shooters that have looked at this topic would actually show up for the matches the events at TVP would be only place to be in 2012!!! See you all at the SHOT show. </div></div>

I just bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 last year and have only shot it at 100yds. I doubt you'd want to see me at a match. But this place does look interesting for a place to take some lessons. Wish it was closer to home.</div></div>

if you have or can make a dope card from JBM, you should be good to go..
if you cant do either, ask.. ill make and send you 1 to print

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol a mile would be a tall order for my .300 WM but worth a shot or ten maybe I'll go after i on he 14th. Will Tom be here? </div></div>

You won't have a problem with your WM if you have enough elevation in your scope. </div></div>

I've got a NF NSX and a 40MOA base I would hope I have enough elevation. I'll find out Saturday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Wayde, where's all the Sunday love? </div></div>

It will be there as soon as the weather breaks
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ears were buring...yes I will be here. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
I'm working every minute of the day except for maybe the five hours I get to sleep to get caught up on all the TVP rifles builds and projects for our customers.
Spending the day on scope orders and form 4's tomorrow for the customers who purchased suppressors here lately.
We are almost finished with our new machine shop and a big thanks to Wayde "The Breeze" for his help the last few weeks.
He and I are also working on the plans for the ELR course and Sniper match. Karl and Shay have been a real big help as well.
Hope to have the ELR course done here in a week or two. Yes, I 'm excited as well but I have limited time to spend on it. We have a plan an should be in good shape once we get back from Shot Show.
See you all soon! </div></div>
Cool. Might need help I really want to take a crack at the mile target.

The mile will be reachable with your set up. I will spot for you and get you on. If the conditions are favorable I can get you there quick and painless and we'll make the plate ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mile will be reachable with your set up. I will spot for you and get you on. If the conditions are favorable I can get you there quick and painless and we'll make the plate ring. </div></div>
Cool. I want to come to a class this summer. Started a new job so once I get some vacation time ill try to do a two day class or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 last year and have only shot it at 100yds. I doubt you'd want to see me at a match. But this place does look interesting for a place to take some lessons. Wish it was closer to home. </div></div>

I just did a training day with mine and it shoots fine to 1000 yards. I replaced the stock with a B&C and I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical that only cost me $200. I needed a 45 MOA base to be able to use nearly all the adjustment in the scope. It's more than good enough to learn the basics.

Would I be able to come down Friday Feb 17th before the ELR match? I likely will not get a chance to shoot my 338 beyond 300yds before then, and would like to get some decent drops on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skigolfmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 last year and have only shot it at 100yds. I doubt you'd want to see me at a match. But this place does look interesting for a place to take some lessons. Wish it was closer to home. </div></div>

I just did a training day with mine and it shoots fine to 1000 yards. I replaced the stock with a B&C and I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical that only cost me $200. I needed a 45 MOA base to be able to use nearly all the adjustment in the scope. It's more than good enough to learn the basics. </div></div>

I have the same scope but with some Leupold rings and bases. Still got the factory stock. I may have to make the two hour trip this summer.

Can anyone here recommend Wolf Precision out of Johnstown Pa for training?

I put a Weaver 20 MOA base on mine and used the Burris self-aligning rings. I also added 20 MOA (more like 12 MOA) inserts front and rear to get the 100 yard zero near the bottom of the scope travel. I've got about 18 Mils usable with this setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skigolfmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 last year and have only shot it at 100yds. I doubt you'd want to see me at a match. But this place does look interesting for a place to take some lessons. Wish it was closer to home. </div></div>

I just did a training day with mine and it shoots fine to 1000 yards. I replaced the stock with a B&C and I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical that only cost me $200. I needed a 45 MOA base to be able to use nearly all the adjustment in the scope. It's more than good enough to learn the basics. </div></div>

I have the same scope but with some Leupold rings and bases. Still got the stock scope. I may have to make the two hour trip this summer.

Can anyone here recommend Wolf Precision out of Johnstown Pa for training? </div></div>

Ship Ahoy
My son’s 308 Remington SPS AAC-SD has been shooting very well with the factory Hornady 168 gr. Amax ammo. He has made the 18 hour round trip twice last year to shoot the Intimidator and Head Hunter course and if the wind is normal and not crazy blowin the Rem 308 SPS AAC-SD with a 20 moa base and a PST 4-16x50 scopes hits the steel well enough to give the rest of us a good run

Don’t cut yourself short make the trip and have a great time.

oneshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot.onehit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ship Ahoy
My son’s 308 Remington SPS AAC-SD has been shooting very well with the factory Hornady 168 gr. Amax ammo. He has made the 18 hour round trip twice last year to shoot the Intimidator and Head Hunter course and if the wind is normal and not crazy blowin the Rem 308 SPS AAC-SD with a 20 moa base and a PST 4-16x50 scopes hits the steel well enough to give the rest of us a good run

Don’t cut yourself short make the trip and have a great time.

oneshot </div></div>
Thanks, it's not the arrow I'm concerned with, it's the indian. See, I've never shot beyond 100yards and need to spend some time training at longer distances before I try any match.

But I'm very eager to shoot beyond 100yds, so I might just try a match at TVP for the hell of it. I don't have anything to lose, and I just might learn something.

I wouldn't worry about ur experience with long range shooting. Don't worry about the "match" aspect of it either. Just come out and shoot. Tom is always telling people that its not a match its just practice ran in a match format. You will be suprised on how fast you will pick the tricks of the trade. There are always a ton of guys ot there willing to help anyone who needs it also. Anyway hope to see you out there.

Ship Ahoy

Open Range on the 14th would be a perfect day to come over and shoot. You will enjoy it
Wayde

[/quote]
Thanks, it's not the arrow I'm concerned with, it's the indian. See, I've never shot beyond 100yards and need to spend some time training at longer distances before I try any match.

But I'm very eager to shoot beyond 100yds, so I might just try a match at TVP for the hell of it. I don't have anything to lose, and I just might learn something. [/quote]

The first time I was at TVP I had only shot past 100yards a couple times and that was for a local cmp shoot. Go down an open range day to get some DOPE and to get the hang of shooting at longer distances. My buddy and I went down and had our .223's hitting at 600 yards pretty quick.

I am going to come up the 14th. I am new to this long range stuff. Most likely will be a little embarrassing.

I don't think you will be embarrassed, I'm betting you will be impressed with yourself and your equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to come up the 14th. I am new to this long range stuff. Most likely will be a little embarrassing. </div></div>
Ill be there too ill be he fat guy with he .300 WM.

My first time at TVP was on 12/10. Before that I had not shot past 200 yards. I had my data in Shooter and my first shot at 600 yards was a hit. After that, it wasn't pretty, but I did learn a lot that day.

I'm hoping to get my rebarreled and trued 308 from the gunsmith tonight so I can do barrel breakin and sight it in this weekend. I'd like to have it down there on the 14th to get my dope for the rifle. Plus I have the 308 I shot on the 10th and for the training day I took.

I appreciate all this encouragement. I just hope you're not setting up the "new guy" to be the designated target holder for the day. I've never liked that task.

I <span style="font-weight: bold">AM</span> going to make it out there this year. Just not sure when.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate all this encouragement. I just hope you're not setting up the "new guy" to be the designated target holder for the day. I've never liked that task.

I <span style="font-weight: bold">AM</span> going to make it out there this year. Just not sure when. </div></div>
\
na we are not setting you up. The last match was my first and my second time shooting longer ranges. I think everybody is more helping than anything. A good way to put it is that you will be shooting against yourself and your personal best.

Looks like I'll be there and bringing at least 1 brand new shooter along. He's got a new rifle with only 50 rounds through it, so we'll have to fix that problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate all this encouragement. I just hope you're not setting up the "new guy" to be the designated target holder for the day. I've never liked that task.

I <span style="font-weight: bold">AM</span> going to make it out there this year. Just not sure when. </div></div>
If you come the 14th We can be set up together!
What do I need to bring beyond rifle and ammo, Ear protection. Do I need a shooting mat?

i would bring some snacks and water. But its an open range day so if you just want to shoot of the bench you wouldnt need a mat, but if you want to go up to a few possitions you might want to bring one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdebo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ship Ahoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate all this encouragement. I just hope you're not setting up the "new guy" to be the designated target holder for the day. I've never liked that task.

If you come the 14th We can be set up together!
What do I need to bring beyond rifle and ammo, Ear protection. Do I need a shooting mat? </div></div>

You should also bring a log book or notebook to keep track of data you obtain, food, drinks, extra rifle, shooting mat is a good idea as well. Being new guys, don't forget to have the bolts out of your rifles when you arrive. I'm sure there will be a few spotting scopes there, but if you have one bring it.

Let me just say that I had a blast shooting at TVP today, especially playng with my suppressors. Tom you are a great guy and thanks to Corey (Smith44699) for helping this newbi that has no idea what he is doing. I have never shot past 100 yds, other than the 1 shot at 350 with Toms surgeon while demoing cans. I am hooked!

looking for someone going to TVP this weekend (1/14/2012). need to send something to tom. can't go myself, previous engagement. if u can deliver an item to tom for me plz let me know. shoot me a pm to let me know.

lonmower... Where are you from?

I have to work this Saturday, can't get out of it. When is the next open range day?