• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision (TVP) Steel Shoot 1-3-10

Re: Thunder Valley Precision (TVP) Steel Shoot 1-3

jon,

Loading block works great with the Hulk and I use it mostly now for the 338 LM. Need one for my .260 now haha!

I should know this but not sure what range record is now....I will check tomorrow and let you know. I've shot in the 140's with .260 once and that's hitting the 1650 on the second shot for a bonus. Believe me I've tried to ace it on days where the conditons are GREAT and dope changes...even with exbal. This sport is a real science and has to be taken seriously for high scores. The targets are small though remember....12" dia and 8" x 18" .If these were deer or man sized targets.....It could be aced. Difference between sniper and counter sniper. Train small...shoot small...

Tom
TVP

The 223 works fine to 900-1000 yards if you're shooting 69 gr smk's. There is no real reason to limit it to 500 yards or less. If you have a couple buddies that are scared, just tell them to come out and shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 223 works fine to 900-1000 yards if you're shooting 69 gr smk's. There is no real reason to limit it to 500 yards or less. If you have a couple buddies that are scared, just tell them to come out and shoot. </div></div>

Oh, I agree, a 223 CAN be good that far shooting the right bullets. But the guys I know dont have the right equipment to shoot that heavy of bullets. What I need to tell them to do is strap on a pair and buy the RIGHT equipment!

I like the sound of a sub 500 or maybe a sub 800 stretch it out a little. I know a couple guys who wanted to shoot untill they see the corse and just get intimidated. I dont know why just shoot I tell them but they dont want to get embarrassed. I just got my fatherinlaw a 308 barrel from Bullberry for his TC Encore I am going to put a Falcon Menace on it and get him to shoot finaly maybe.

If you do a "short course" the targets would need to be MUCH smaller.

Well, there really is no sense in going out there and just throwing lead downrange. I mean lets be realistic, not even guys with 308's and up can hit the 550 target in four shots, granted it is one of the harder targets to spot being on top of a hill, but thats one of the closest shots on the course.

If a guy comes out with a varmint or hunting rifle not set up for long range, they literally will just be throwing expensive lead downrange. So like firemarshall said, something with an average of 500yds would be great, have a few longer shots to challenge, but mainly doable with a non-tactical rifle.

It would also challenge us guys that are setup for the longer range shots to hone the closer (technically more realistic) shot skills. Out past 850 they are definitely fun, but less realistic, but DEFINITELY fun/challenging so I dont want to quit that course by any means!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, there really is no sense in going out there and just throwing lead downrange. I mean lets be realistic, not even guys with 308's and up can hit the 550 target in four shots, granted it is one of the harder targets to spot being on top of a hill, but thats one of the closest shots on the course.

If a guy comes out with a varmint or hunting rifle not set up for long range, they literally will just be throwing expensive lead downrange. So like firemarshall said, something with an average of 500yds would be great, have a few longer shots to challenge, but mainly doable with a non-tactical rifle.

It would also challenge us guys that are setup for the longer range shots to hone the closer (technically more realistic) shot skills. Out past 850 they are definitely fun, but less realistic, but DEFINITELY fun/challenging so I dont want to quit that course by any means!</div></div>

I could not agree more! Working on some of those shorter shots for hunting stuff. I mean hell the farthest thing I have killed in the field was a groundhog just over 400yds. Around here there are just so many houses now its hard to find a 500+yd shot anymore. Working on the close up stuff would make me feel more confident. Dont get me wrong I love the long range stuff its fun and challenging but realisticley I dont have those shots around were I live.

So a course with 2 MOA targets from 200 to 600 might get some business. It could all be run from the main line with targets scrattered down range to the 600 yard berm. It could be run in relays with target position changes between relays at non-standard ranges. Would be intreresting for the hunter train up concept. A plywood sheet with moa appropriate balloons stapled on. Lots of fun no matter what we shoot. I love just getting out and having some time on the range with Tom and the guys.

Tom I just bought some targets from a guy from dallas that are very good from what I can tell especially for the money. I have not shot them with anything big yet but my .260 @ 100yds doesnt even nick it. I see paint splatter and thats it. If your interested I can send you his number.

Range record is held by Mark@116.
First time shooter last spring.
His "Great Day"

This Sport is like 3-D Archery to the extreme!
This course is meant to be a challenge!
Shows many things that need improving.

Target sizes and ranges are fine.

Glen

A shorter range course sounds like a really good idea. That would allow guys with AR15s and varmint rigs come out and give it a go. I love the current format, but it's tough to get new guys to try it and it also takes a long time to get through the whole course. I don't mind shooting all day, but waiting 1 1/2 hours for your turn is not that much fun. It would also be cool if the course could somehow be set up to run 2 squads safely.

Boy, it sure is easy to sit here and make suggestions when someone else is doing the work
grin.gif

If it wasn't so far, I'd give it a shot with my specialty pistol! But I gotta work at 5am on the 5th!

There are alot of options. Things are the set up they way they are for a reason. This sport will grow and we will experience growing pains. We have to work through it together.
Two squads sounds good but SAFETY is more important than speed.
The wait is for a reason too......some have figured it out. Use the time to think about next station and the wind there and try to have it figured out. Teams need to plan their strategy better for when it's there turn. I will have some ideas to share the day of the shoot at the safety meeting.

Now...the 500 yard plan. I may go out to 600 with it. The reason for this this course is a great plan for new shooters and REAL working tactical shooters. Also great for varmint shooters and HUNTERS. 12"x12" plates are good vital sizes not much room for error (like our current course) for a reason. I can train anyone to shoot man sized targets....training to hit a certain spot or vital is totally different. This is the separation of skill. So...with that said the small targets we use now are only going to make you a better shooter and more precise. The 500 yard targets get missed ALOT and I've seen LOTS of shooters miss the 1st target position 3 all three shots! Anyway.. this shorter disatnce course will be high speed but SAFE. Geared toward drawing in more shooters not yet ready for the "Intimidator".
I think you'll be happy with the course and it will test your ability as a marksman. This will help shooters make the decision to step up to a "bigger" tool ultimatly or improve their realistic hunting shot. I also have a new course designed for hunting I will unvail ASAP with life size animals.

Also, we want to do some two gun and three gun matches. Maybe even a league through the week. Mscott, we talked about this and I could use your help if you would like...others too.

Our 2010 schedule will be full with lots of shoots and new ideas. New targets are being made up next week.

Shooters, as I said before this is your range too so I appreciate your ideas and opinions. I may not always be able to fulfill yours needs but I will try. I wish running a shooting range was a easy as people thought....then I could sleep at nite! But all in all I enjoy you guys and appreciate your loyalty. I've made some TRULY good friends and some enemies along the way. To the friends...thanks for the laughs..to the enemies...pick your sucker up out of the dirt and go cry to someone else. Or start your own range....don't forget to invite me to come and play.

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Jesus!

TVP

Robert B,

You coming up for shoot? You can stay at my house if you want. We can stare at my deer on the wall all night and talk guns.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Robert B,

You coming up for shoot? You can stay at my house if you want. We can stare at my deer on the wall all night and talk guns.

Tom </div></div>

Sounds romantic... Sorry, had to.
smile.gif

Thats ok flounderv2

Robert is a great customer and we had a great time shooting in 2009. He's earned a nights stay in the "DEN"...
Hmm.... that didn't sound good either.

Tom

Hey, Im just going to throw this out there and see what people think about helping TVP get some new targets by getting people, vendors who ever to sponcer a target or two how ever many they please. Have there name or company name put on a board or something up at the range/shelter house. Something like target 2 posion 3 sponcered be "John Doe". Something like that. And if you dont want to sponcer maybe we can also take up a collection for new targets. I know the range doesent run on water it has to be expensive to keep up and running and I know for a fact 1/2" AR500 is not cheap to buy. It would be nice to see some new steel hanging out there. I just thought it would be a good way to help the range we all love to shoot at a hand. Im not sure on prices yet Ill have to talk to Tom see if he is up for that and what he thinks we can do. If anyone has any ideas for this let me know. In the mean time if we can get enough people wanting to do this Ill get some prices per target depending on the size target you want to sponcer 12"x12" or mansize Ect.....Let me know what you all think.

Thanks, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do a "short course" the targets would need to be MUCH smaller. </div></div>

Maybe like 4"wide by 8"high?That would be in proportion to the larger targets.
Just a thought.

van

Wow Tom, sounds good. Maybe the short course could incorporate a section of fence (sawhorse) or a tree for support while shooting at a target to mix it up a little. Don't take any of the things I've said as gripes, they're just thoughts. I shoot something different and usually at a different range nearly every weekend, so I see and hear a lot of things .... good and bad. I realize safety is the most important thing no matter what game you are playing. I can imagine that one day you're going to have 30 shooters waiting at the benches to shoot. That's gonna be a looooong day. The 3 gun stuff is a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work. The biggest problem with the 3 clubs I've shot multigun matches at is space. One place can get out to about 150 yards, but the others are 100 and less. TVP obviously has plenty to offer for stretching it out a little.
Firemarshall, that's a nice idea. How about we just encourage more people to become members of TVP? That would give Tom funds to put where he sees fit.
Tom, can you post something about membership? I seem to remember it being $50 and gives you $5 off at every event. Is that correct?

mscott,

Yes, short course will have objects to shoot from like trees, rocks and logs hay bails square and round etc. No gripes thought....you have good ideas.
Three gun is a great sport we could handle but need to form a "club" or group of guys who want. We already have 20 handgun stations.

Membership options are being looked at right now and I will have it posted by Jan 1 2010. Looking at a membership drive idea too. We need $2800 for all the steel we need addition to the "Intimidator" course.
Also getting new t-shirts/hats made for 2010.... maybe long sleeve light color shirts for the HOT SUNNY days. Lots of guys got fried last summer.

Two man team money prize? Build a pot? Winners take all. $5 per shooter $10 per team? Could add up quick. Will discuss at meeting.

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mscott,

Yes, short course will have objects to shoot from like trees, rocks and logs hay bails square and round etc. No gripes thought....you have good ideas.
Three gun is a great sport we could handle but need to form a "club" or group of guys who want. We already have 20 handgun stations.

Membership options are being looked at right now and I will have it posted by Jan 1 2010. Looking at a membership drive idea too. We need $2800 for all the steel we need addition to the "Intimidator" course.
Also getting new t-shirts/hats made for 2010.... maybe long sleeve light color shirts for the HOT SUNNY days. Lots of guys got fried last summer.

Two man team money prize? Build a pot? Winners take all. $5 per shooter $10 per team? Could add up quick. Will discuss at meeting.

Tom
TVP

</div></div>

Definitely get some more shirts made. Im still waiting to get a short sleeve one from this past year since everyone already bought the color I wanted.
frown.gif

Tom,

I've heard about your range and want to come up and shoot. I'm from Canton originally and learned to shoot highpower at Malvern. This would give me a chance to shoot and visit dear old Mom! We've got a few guys from down in the Cinti. area that would like to shoot also, team events would be great.

Have you posted the new schedule for 2010 yet?

Also PM your address and X-Treme can make a small donation towards your targets. After having run our highpower program down here for years, I know what it's like to do all of this stuff with minimal help and funds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom,

I've heard about your range and want to come up and shoot. I'm from Canton originally and learned to shoot highpower at Malvern. This would give me a chance to shoot and visit dear old Mom! We've got a few guys from down in the Cinti. area that would like to shoot also, team events would be great.

Have you posted the new schedule for 2010 yet?

Also PM your address and X-Treme can make a small donation towards your targets. After having run our highpower program down here for years, I know what it's like to do all of this stuff with minimal help and funds. </div></div>

Change your homepage for your site! I cant get past the smoking hot girl on the front page. How do you expect any work if people just stare at her all day long.
smile.gif

Do you know her personally and if so, how long has she been training/competing in figure modeling.

Funny,

My wife cannot stand her. Thinks she is not attractive at all. I've had e-mails from both sides. Pro and Con. I just got an e-mail from the editor of my club's newsletter saying that they recieved complaints from a small ad I ran in the club newsletter with her in it.

This kind of got started as a Dillon girls kind of thing but with athletic women. I used to be a pretty decent bodybuilder and kind of have this thing for attractive athletic women not the humongous massive kind.

Anyway the girl's name is Darlina Brown from Texas and she is an IFBB pro.

Tom, I might take you up on the spot in the den. Thats the only place I get buck fever indoors. WOW!! You got some trophies. I am going to plan a trip up there if nothing comes up. I cant wait to try the .260 up there again. You built a hell of a gun. I done killed 4 deer with it just no bucks.Longest shot was 480 yds. Your room is gonna make me hate myself. And you guys need to get Tom to build you a rifle. I just shot in a match with custom guns built by any one you could think of. My TVP rifle shot with the best of em and outshot alot of em. I know it was the gun cause it sure wasn't me. It got alot of compliments on the 'yote. Thanks alot Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have this thing for attractive athletic women not the humongous massive kind.
</div></div>

Welcome to my world. My girl loves the gym

Anyway. Tom, I cant wait to get back out there. Ive sent this link to a few people trying to get them to come..

Wow this is great news. Please count me in (finally got a 7mm Rem Mag I can't wait to try out!).

Add me for sure to the list of those attending, i will try to bring one or two more guys. I gotta check with them at work today. I will update if they opt in.

for the guy with the bb girl on his site. Keep her pic, that tactic works for the BLUE PRESS, all the complainers are just jealous. She is a perfect spotter for any precision rifleman
smile.gif

Tom,

I would love to have picture of her posing with my 1000 Yard World Record Rifle and hang that in my den!!!

Tom..thanks for the offer I'm getting prices together so I can give folks an idea of what the steel targets cost each. I have friend who is helping me out with the steel cost and it's a great deal.

Thanks,
Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom,
Also PM your address and X-Treme can make a small donation towards your targets. After having run our highpower program down here for years, I know what it's like to do all of this stuff with minimal help and funds. </div></div>

Thanks! Mr. Myers

Thats what we need! I Talked to Tom a should have some prices together for anyone that woul like to sponcer a target or two. Ill let you know ASAP when we get some prices together.

As for getting new members to join is a great idea to (mscott) we could do something like a membership drive have everyone try to get as many new shooters to join as possible. Maybe something like a goal of 10 new members per person. And have an incentive reach 10 new members and your membership is "free" for the year! Out of the group we have now if everyone could get a few that money would add up quick for TVP.

Last idea we could do is raise the membership to 100.00 that would get you A free day of shooting and training, And a TVP T-shirt!

Just a few ideas to try to help rase some money for the range......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would also be cool if the course could somehow be set up to run 2 squads safely. </div></div>

Tom,

Do you have enough of a safety net and property to put another station 90° to the right of station ones shoot position? You would be able to shoot 2 squads at the same time from the knoll. If that could also be done from one other station that would cut the time way down for the days with 15+ people.

Maybe do a split using the "bench area" and station one. That keeps everyone pointing in the same general direction to start and then just swap positions when each squad is done. The whole group of shooters would then go out to the last postitions. Using walkie talkies for the two "squad leaders" to communicate would help with the safety issues.

I really like the format of the shoot but sometimes, the time issue is a factor.

We will explore the idea....but it will be tough to do. Time is always a factor even in benchrest. It's just one of the things we have to accept. If shooters want to to show up early or just have a fun day here SOON...we can walk around the property and see what we can come up with. It would take two-three hours to even come close to laying out a course.

Let me know...we can do that. If you have an ATV bring it to speed things up.

Tom
TVP

Time..

There are things we can do to speed the match up. Less time to shoot 4 targets or go to 3. Or time limit PERIOD for each station per team including set. Other words the command would be...Team one Your time starts now! You have 6 minutes for setup and fire. But..I'm affraid if we PUSH people to hard and fast they wont have a good time. So..we need to take a vote and figure it out. The time issue will only get worse as we grow...and we are growing..fast. We will have to experiment with new ideas.

Tom

FM,

I've kicked the idea around but it's another liability and wear and tear on the range. Trucks don't have the same impact as ATV's on the soil under continued use. We will discuss this too. I'm thinking a hay wagon with sides and benches built in to transport the shooters to save time. Another thing we need! This would be best I think.

Tom

Well it sounds like we are going to have a large group this time so we should probably start thinking of a way to speed things up a bit for the Jan 3 match.

My thought would be to team up the more experienced shooters together and make them shoot within the required time limits and have the experienced teams shoot first. Not only will it help with the time issue, it will help us learn to more quickly adjust our dope and fire again. It will also help the less experienced guys with learning dopes, and calling shots not to mention my idea for them below.

Then team up the less experienced shooters/first timers together and give them more time and at the same time, the more experienced shooters could be helping the less experienced guys with adjusting their scopes, helping with dope, etc. Kinda like taking someone under there wing to help them out.

Personally I think its a good idea but I will leave it up to you all to decide.

I think flounder has an excellent idea.

Experienced shooters should be teamed up.Less experienced shooters at Thunder Valley should be teamed up with each other too.

The coaching would help from the experienced shooters too.Thats if the less experienced want the coaching.

Excellent idea.

Hey Tom-Remember when this started?No lasers,we only used the reticle in our scopes.We saved our information and used it for the next match.Scores were alot lower too...in the beginning.

van

When Tom started the bonus for time, that's how I tried to setup the score sheet.

I put Hunting buddies together.
Shooters for time.
Newer shooters.
New shooters.

This is pretty much how Tom had it set last January.

Did anybody get any work done today?
(Page three already)

Keep checking on target prices.
I'll check a few of our suppliers for drops too.
Bro's made a couple chucks from scrap from work.
I can see about more for the short course.
Re-bar anyone?

Glen

Tom

If you could put some prices together (the match, membership,T-shirts,etc.) and post it so we have an idea how much to bring.

Thanks

I don't see many folks (including me) paying $100 for memberships when you still have to pay every day you shoot. One way to move things along a bit quicker would be to start shooting at 10:00. I don't remember starting before 10:30 at the earliest and at least one day it was after 11:00 (I think we the shooters need to make this happen by being ready and get up the hill). If you are going to pay back for team matches a set of rules should be in place. Unfortunately when money is involved feelings can get hurt. Maybe give the team 1 minute to set up and load rifles. Start position standing behind loaded rifles, etc.. I'd say pay back at each match because some are going to shoot more times than others.

For the camp out shoot we had plenty of time to shoot the course Saturday morning and evening and be done early Sunday.

Local clubs in my area charge way more for way less.

This is our range!
Sponser a target?
Great Idea.
Donate, Yes.
Help out to make better, even better.
Clear through Tom.

Need spotters for January.

Some things never change, still cant understand what Glen is trying to say in his posts haha!

Im in agreement with flounder on the time saving plan. By mid spring when Glen and I shot together we were finishing within 4 minutes no problem, usually less than that. The experienced guys with dope on paper and knowing how to dial dope there is no reason you shouldnt finish within 3 minutes or less.

I know you like to have guys alternate shots Tom, and for newer guys and non-brake/suppressor guys, it is a good idea since you cant spot your own shot and re-adjust on your own.

But now with a lot of guys having muzzle brakes, and several guys with suppressors now, it is very easy to spot your own shot and dial your dope on your own, and still have your spotter confirm. This would allow one shooter to fire all 4 (if necessary) rounds off on each target one after another. This speeds things up, but it also makes hitting a target easier IMO since you are not shooting again in totally different wind conditions.

Just a thought on that subject, take it with a grain.

As for the $100 membership idea, if you break that up how you explain it you are technically only paying $75 for a membership/tshirt since the first match would be included in the price. Id be fine with that idea as long as thats what is included. But obviously Ill be fine with whatever Tom decides since where else am I gonna go haha?!?

Tom, I don't know how Id feel about riding in a hay wagon down from station one and up to station 4, I think Ill walk! Not to mention the tow vehicle would have to have serious nuts/traction.

You could also have more people on the ground ready to shoot or shooting as well. Instead of two shooters at a time you could have four or five. Or during teams you could have two teams on the ground. That would eliminate alot of the time that the shooters waste getting all the nitpicking things overwith. Remember tactical shooters have to ready at a moments notice. I think that the time between shooters would minimized.As soon as a shooter shoots the other is allready on the target dope on the scope and just waiting for their turn. Even if it is target by target. That way the spotter doesnt have to change the direction. That seems to be where alot of the time goes. It also eliminates Tom needing another person he would have to depend on for showing up everytime and the safety issue with running two squads. I think the two squads would be a great idea but I dont know how safe it would be or if they would be shooting at the same targets at the same time. That might be a good idea for me being that I might get a hit scored for me but shot by someone else.(I need all the help I can get)And also going by a shooter number instead of name, that way the scoring can be done easily and the shooter knows when they need to have their shit together and hit the deck. There would be no calling out a name then hearing a hold on I gotta get my shooting mat drop chart and ammo ready. Even though I was the worlds worse at that (hopefully I've changed) This might be a horrible idea but it seems everyone is just throwing them out there.

Shooters,

Ok...first off.
$100.00 per year is CHEAP for a range of this caliber. I'm not saying that's what we're going to charge. But..if you break it down to membership..t-shirt...and one free day of instruction/shooting...it's a no brainer, really. I've been told by countless people literaly I'm @#$%$#@$& for NOT charging more. I know people who pay $200 per year plus a range fee for 100-200 yards. As for charging a membership PLUS charging per visit...don't pay a membership if this is how you feel. This is not directed to ANY ONE person just to everyone. If a guy with a $3000.00 rifle or $5000-$7000 or more in reality is too CHEAP to pay $20 a day......hmmm he needs to go ask a farmer if he can set up shop in his field. Go buy or make targets...walk out and set them up....walk back then shoot...then go police up the area when done....if you can fit it all in truck with your gear after a long hard day....drive home and unload it and repeat next time you want to go shoot. Or....pay me $20 and I'll set up the course...mow the grass....buy the gas to do it...replace or repair targets at my expense....give you a ride around the course..so you don't have to walk...and when the day is over you can just get in you truck and go home. Now that's a deal...or am I just wrong with those facts?

Ok now...here's what we'll do for 2010.....

Membership is $50 per year
Range fee is $20 a day for members and $25 non-members by appointment e-mail or call
Members receive $5 off registered matches

Plates shoots are $30 for everyone.

All other match entry fees will be announced

Shooters must sign a liability waiver before using the range IF your not a member. Members will sign the waiver when joining.

Does this sound fair?

Tom
TVP