• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tick Warning for North East Folks

Petrov

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
Western NY
Hey NE folks especially NY and NJ.
We a huge increase in tick numbers over here and now large section of tick populations in NY and NJ are testing positive for a virus that will give you brain damage and has 10% fatality rate.
Please be safe wear appropriate clothing and use DEET.
There is a good chance you could get infected if you get bitten by a tick.

Now we really have to stay in our houses. Sheesh....

Don't let MSM find this.....they will get us locked in for the rest of 2020!

That article is from August 2019.

Not exactly epidemic:

"
In 2017, 33 cases were reported, but that decreased to 21 last year. Cases began to surge nationally in 2016. Minnesota had the highest record of cases between 2009 and 2018, the CDCTrusted Source reports. A case of the virus was reported in Maine last month, and in New Jersey the month before.

Cases mostly occur in the Northeast and Great Lakes region of the country. Late spring, early summer, and mid-fall are when ticks are most active.

Powassan is so rare is because few ticks carry it, Hickling said. According to a 2012 studyTrusted Source he referenced, there were 30 positive blacklegged ticks from more than 1,900 that were sampled in Connecticut.

“So that’s only one or two positives per 100 ticks tested. In comparison, in the Northeast you might expect to find 30 to 50 ticks per 100 positive with the Lyme disease bacteria,” Hickling said.

More recent studiesTrusted Source have warned about a rise in cases and called for more research into diagnostics and treatment methods.

“[Powassan] is on the rise, but not, like, ‘epidemic on the rise,” noted Jim Occi, a PhD candidate, microbiologist, and medical entomologist at Rutgers–New Brunswick. He said the first case was reported in Canada in 1958, and there were several cases in about 20 years. The rate has gone up since then, depending on the region. Still, the number of cases compared to other tick-borne diseases is relatively low."

Won’t happen to me with my toilet paper stash. In all seriousness thanks I actually never heard of this.

I used to get them all the time mountain biking but don't run into them as much, not going deep into the woods

Saw my first tick ever in my tree stand last fall. Just found one this morning on my folding table in my garage. Not liking what I'm seeing. Grew up in the woods as a kid and don't ever remember seeing g a tick.
mir_20200421_200342.jpg

Friend of mine got Lyle last summer and now has permanent optic nerve damage. And is not a deep woodsman... he’s a carpenter. Got it off someone’s lawn, probably.

Ticks and Lyme are no sh!t serious. Check yourself... tuck in pants. Wear repellent. Get collars and treatment for animals.
Warm winter this past year and an exploding deer population in North East and New England. COViD is a bunch of crap. Lyme is for real!

sirhr

Heavy snows early in the winter insulate the ground, and leads to a huge increase in ticks...
This winter in NW MN we got dumped on with snow very early...ticks gonna be thick this year...
Catch a deer tick bite early enough, get some antibiotics, things normally turn out good.

My great uncle was not so fortunate...back in the day, he was one diagnosed with Lyme’s disease after he’d had it quite a while ....suffered the rest of his life

Saw my first tick ever in my tree stand last fall. Just found one this morning on my folding table in my garage. Not liking what I'm seeing. Grew up in the woods as a kid and don't ever remember seeing g a tick.

Where the hell do you live that you never saw a tick before? Lyme disease fucked my life up. I'm trying to get far away from ticks.

Where the hell do you live that you never saw a tick before? Lyme disease fucked my life up. I'm trying to get far away from ticks.
Western New York, southern tier. Guess I've just been lucky. My cousins husband got Lyme a few years ago. He lives outdoors so not surprised. I'll still pass on it if I can.

Also this new infection is pretty much asymptomatic until you are in ER with brain damage.
Please be proactive if you find one on your body, please.

View attachment 7305135

I found one on a pack I had put up and let sit for a few weeks. Fucker was alive, holding on to the pack with its back legs, levitating the rest of its body into space waiting for a "host" to come by.

Fucking things are evil incarnate.

G
Hey NE folks especially NY and NJ.
We a huge increase in tick numbers over here and now large section of tick populations in NY and NJ are testing positive for a virus that will give you brain damage and has 10% fatality rate.
Please be safe wear appropriate clothing and use DEET.
There is a good chance you could get infected if you get bitten by a tick.

Grew up in NE PA and played just about every day in the woods or farm fields sometimes with nothing but shorts and shoes. Never saw a tick until my Senior year in HS it was on someone else.

10 years ago visiting family... pull off the road and there is a few blades of crabgrass growing through the pavement and 2 of those buggers are on a mad dash up my pant leg.

My gut tells me Lyme is similar to Wuhan flu, it "escaped" a lab somewhere. If that's ever proven and the culprits are alive they should have to suffer the most torturous, gruesome and painful death.

G

Grew up in NE PA and played just about every day in the woods or farm fields sometimes with nothing but shorts and shoes. Never saw a tick until my Senior year in HS it was on someone else.

10 years ago visiting family... pull off the road and there is a few blades of crabgrass growing through the pavement and 2 of those buggers are on a mad dash up my pant leg.

My gut tells me Lyme is similar to Wuhan flu, it "escaped" a lab somewhere. If that's ever proven and the culprits are alive they should have to suffer the most torturous, gruesome and painful death.

Im guessing DDT wiped them out.

It took 40 years for them to re-establish.

I use Sawyers clothing spray. Never had a tick on me with that stuff, even crawling through mountain laurel during bear season. Other hunting buddies came out of the same area with several ticks on their clothes, but I was clear. Good stuff.

Possums kill and eat thousands of ticks every season. I always thought they were pretty useless overgrown rats but now I have a new appreciation for them.

Treat your clothes and gear with permethrin. I’ve not had tick problems while using it through many deer and turkey seasons, and I’ve been in some pretty “tick-y” areas.

Possums kill and eat thousands of ticks every season. I always thought they were pretty useless overgrown rats but now I have a new appreciation for them.

Let some chickens free range your yard.............no ticks and they give you eggs in return.

Can Opossums live in the north east? They eat a ton of ticks and can't catch lime disease

Can they breed them indoors in the winter and release them in the late spring?

We have them in Arlington , MA.

Occasionally we site one at night usually my wife or kids "Oh my God what is that?"

Can Opossums live in the north east? They eat a ton of ticks and can't catch lime disease

Can they breed them indoors in the winter and release them in the late spring?

They are on Long Island.

you’ll see one hanging by its tail in a tree in a more rural area once in a blue moon.

Conspiracy theory is the disease came from plum island. Small spot off Long Island that does “research/govt stuff”.

I think it’s more like Wuhan, it was around before but it was introduced/fixed and got out. They have cases from around the country about similar symptoms from before the building was even constructed. But the density of these tics in NY is was above normal.

do a tic check, take you clothes and put them in the dryer on High for 15 min.

A girl from MIT got bit or something like that, she started doing tests and found that the high temp dry air actually worked better than chemicals for clothes removal (once they actually got in gear)

Have a acquaintance that works on that Island (not a lab person). I asked about the above. He said this is the most accurate book he has seen on the subject of plum island.

Reactions: brianf
i might check it out.

every couple of years a "chopacabra" shows up on a beach out east (for non new yorkers, we call the forks/ hamptons/ montauk point "out east")

dog with a parrot beak type shit, people go insane for a few weeks

Im guessing DDT wiped them out.

It took 40 years for them to re-establish.

Great point. That plus the gypsy moth caterpillar spray...Probably some variant of DDT. They need to bring that stuff back. The eco-terrorist loon that got publicity to ban it is full of shit and probably a racist bitch that wants brown people dead.

Treat your clothes and gear with permethrin. I’ve not had tick problems while using it through many deer and turkey seasons, and I’ve been in some pretty “tick-y” areas.

Agreed. That stuff works great. It's for the clothes and gear not directly on your skin like DEET/Off.

They are abundant and worrisome.

Permethrin everything, drench it

Reactions: Earnhardt
The most dangerous ticks(overall) are in congress, LA, San Fran, nyc, etc. They take filthy, diseased, blood sucking parasites, to a whole new level.
On a more serious note, be safe from the real ticks.