• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka 223 Varmint

iukamedic

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2017
I bought a tikka 223 varmint about a couple weeks ago. I just got a custom 6.5 creedmoor finished the same day as I picked up the tikka (long story). So today I decided I would shoot the tikka. Went to put the rail on and it doesn’t take standard 6-48 screws. Found a few others in the spare parts bin so I made do. Cleaned the barrel and shot cleaned a few times then shot a group with 55grain fmj federal bulk and pmc 55 grain fmj. Both groups were crap. Cleaned the rifle again and shot 2 more groups, still crap. Groups around 2 or 3 inches at 100 yards. Pretty disappointed at this point. Went in he house picked out some once fired random brass that I had and loaded Varget and hornady 75 bthp. Let’s just say I had my doubts until I fired the next 4 groups.

Attachments

• 4D7E8708-CF60-418F-BB50-98D963B2EE6E.jpeg
    4D7E8708-CF60-418F-BB50-98D963B2EE6E.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 527BD7F5-C9B0-4C7B-AB78-D86743AA6A62.jpeg
    527BD7F5-C9B0-4C7B-AB78-D86743AA6A62.jpeg
    633.6 KB · Views: 100
  • CD72C013-9454-4CD6-A13F-820095277228.jpeg
    CD72C013-9454-4CD6-A13F-820095277228.jpeg
    688 KB · Views: 122
  • FDA85682-442C-4E86-8B59-E4AC4FD9B685.jpeg
    FDA85682-442C-4E86-8B59-E4AC4FD9B685.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 129
Yeah, I've got a Tikka T3x 223 Varmint rifle as well.

55gr Bulk Federal and PMC are between 1.5-2MOA for me at 100yd. My rifle also likes the 75gr BTHP from Hornady. Worked up a load ladder with it, got numerous sub moa groups. Here's my best from the other day

Screenshot_20200901-151629_Range Buddy.jpg

I've only shoot 77SMK through mine and I'm close to a 1/2 moa at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: iukamedic
That doesn’t sound good. Tikkas are typically shooters. Even with crap ammo those groups are unsat. I wouldn’t monkey with it because it’s new. Try returning it to wherever you bought it and if nothing else send it to Tikka. Give them a chance to make good on it. Tikka will fix it and get it back to you shootings like it’s supposed to. They don’t want people thinking they might be the next proud owner of a several hundred dollar tomato stake. Sorry about your rifle.

That doesn’t sound good. Tikkas are typically shooters. Even with crap ammo those groups are unsat. I wouldn’t monkey with it because it’s new. Try returning it to wherever you bought it and if nothing else send it to Tikka. Give them a chance to make good on it. Tikka will fix it and get it back to you shootings like it’s supposed to. They don’t want people thinking they might be the next proud owner of a several hundred dollar tomato stake. Sorry about your rifle.

I don’t think his rifle is the issue... you can’t just go shoot a sub moa group with just any old ammo. Hey tikka, I shot some crap ammo through to rifle and it didn’t do good. But when I shot good ammo, if shot tight groups. ..... lol

what’s the issue with the rifle here? I see none

I’m good with it after it turned in those last groups. Had my bouts initially. I load most things I shoot. I don’t really understand the rail taking an off the wall screw instead of standard screw but I’m overall happy with the rifle. Those groups were with mixed brass and just throwing together a load.

I’m good with it after it turned in those last groups. Had my bouts initially. I load most things I shoot. I don’t really understand the rail taking an off the wall screw instead of standard screw but I’m overall happy with the rifle. Those groups were with mixed brass and just throwing together a load.
The mixed brass is why I was telling the other guy that there isn’t anything wrong with that rifle. I ordered the same rifle today. Should have it next week.

what’s the seating depth max on that varmint mag

The mixed brass is why I was telling the other guy that there isn’t anything wrong with that rifle. I ordered the same rifle today. Should have it next week.

what’s the seating depth max on that varmint mag
Best I can tell is about 2.275. Was kinda thinking about changing stocks eventually so I could use acis mags. That’s down the road though.

Obviously, your Tikka should be shooting much more accurately than you're reporting. You know that the ammo is one, rather obvious variable, but outside of that, could one of those "off the wall" screws be too long, putting undue pressure on the barrel?

I don’t think his rifle is the issue... you can’t just go shoot a sub moa group with just any old ammo. Hey tikka, I shot some crap ammo through to rifle and it didn’t do good. But when I shot good ammo, if shot tight groups. ..... lol

what’s the issue with the rifle here? I see none
I didn’t take a good look at the last pic. The rifle shoots fine with the proper bullet for the barrels rate of twist. He’ll just have to load on his own ammo. Not a big problem but being able to buy factory stuff that shoots good would be nice.

my varmint groups. i've only done these 60gr v-max for hunting. 60gr taps are the cheapest rounds my one likes and it also likes 77gr norma match ammo but at $1.77 a round i think i'll stick to my handloads. it hates all remington ammo with a passion.

Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-29 08_08_17.943305.png
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-08-29 08_05_10.871404.png

I’ve got my 6.5 ctr in a bravo but thinking about putting this in a oryx

go the whole hog and make it look tough for a little slugger ;)

this is an old pic of mine that i take hunting for varmint

shot a group with 55grain fmj federal bulk and pmc 55 grain fmj. Both groups were crap. Cleaned the rifle again and shot 2 more groups, still crap. Groups around 2 or 3 inches at 100 yards. Pretty disappointed at this point.

You used crap ball ammo and you got crap groups.

Were you expecting something else?

Because I wasn't.

Reactions: spife7980
It's got nothing to do with the fucking twist rate or handloads vs store bought ammo.

But please continue.
No go ahead, you obviously have all the answers. You and you alone know how a particular ammo will perform without shooting it. It must be great to be you.
You’re right “there’s always one.......” There’s always one ass hole in every group and that’s you. Obviously you’re a miserable individual and considering how you treat others that’s what you deserve. You’re a keyboard sniper Lmmfao

No go ahead, you obviously have all the answers. You and you alone know how a particular ammo will perform without shooting it. It must be great to be you.
You’re right “there’s always one.......” There’s always one ass hole in every group and that’s you. Obviously you’re a miserable individual and considering how you treat others that’s what you deserve. You’re a keyboard sniper Lmmfao

I've seen post after post from you spewing nonsense about technical rifle topics. Enough to know that you should be ignored. The problem is that noobs can't tell who's full of shit and just repeats the same bullshit they hear without understanding.

And I'm not the only one who's called out your incorrect statements.

I've seen post after post from you spewing nonsense about technical rifle topics. Enough to know that you should be ignored. The problem is that noobs can't tell who's full of shit and just repeats the same bullshit they hear without understanding.

And I'm not the only one who's called out your incorrect statements.
Thank goodness you’re around with all the answers. What would we mere mortals do without your superior knowledge in technical matters? Yep you’re a keyboard sniper. A legend in your own mind. You must have been bullied as a child and now you hide behind your keyboard and lash out at others. That’s really childish behavior. I bet you still live with your mommy.

Thank goodness you’re around with all the answers. What would we mere mortals do without your superior knowledge in technical matters? Yep you’re a keyboard sniper. A legend in your own mind. You must have been bullied as a child and now you hide behind your keyboard and lash out at others. That’s really childish behavior. I bet you still live with your mommy.
You bring nothing of substance to this forum.