• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka current quality, in light of war in Ukraine?

yosemite_sam

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2023
Tennessee
Curious if anyone has noticed changes in quality/fit n finish on Tikka's rifles since the start of the war in Ukraine. I figure demand for rifles in Europe has gone up significantly(prepping), as well as Finland's economy possibly experiencing stress(they are right next to Russia and have recently stopped/reduced trade.)

I know that in the past in the US, folks have noticed decrease in quality of arms related to ban fears. Basically, quality goes down as companies struggle to meet demand as folks are panic buying.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Haven't noticed any change, I have one new rifle and a buddy has one as well, works the same as the others. Haven't seen any evidence of it in posts on here either.

You mean like shipping .223 rifles with magnum bolts?

1675562060045.jpeg

I don't know about quality before, but I handled a few a couple of days ago: CTR, UPR and Tac A1 (or was it Tact A1?). Triggers were good, bolt was smooth, and I didn't otherwise notice any particular bugs, just handling them in shops in my home town in Finland.

well the quality of almost everything has taken a nose dive all while the prices shoot up and up some dumb ass will continue to buy it why would companies not keep making things cheaper and cheaper wait till china invades Taiwan or even the us if they stop thinking small .

well the quality of almost everything has taken a nose dive all while the prices shoot up and up some dumb ass will continue to buy it why would companies not keep making things cheaper and cheaper wait till china invades Taiwan or even the us if they stop thinking small .
So in other words, you don't have a clue about Tikka . Just a general opinion based on what mood you are in ?

Curious if anyone has noticed changes in quality/fit n finish on Tikka's rifles since the start of the war in Ukraine. I figure demand for rifles in Europe has gone up significantly(prepping), as well as Finland's economy possibly experiencing stress(they are right next to Russia and have recently stopped/reduced trade.)

I know that in the past in the US, folks have noticed decrease in quality of arms related to ban fears. Basically, quality goes down as companies struggle to meet demand as folks are panic buying.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Looking for negative ? Well bless your heart. You will fit right in with the rest of the Tikka haters . .:poop:

It's been less than a year since putin started the war . How many Tikkas do you think these guys have bought here? How many do you think know Exactly what day the Tikka was made ?

Reactions: Charlie112
Looking for negative ? Well bless your heart. You will fit right in with the rest of the Tikka haters . .:poop:

It's been less than a year since putin started the war . How many Tikkas do you think these guys have bought here? How many do you think know Exactly what day the Tikka was made ?
I’m not trying to hate, I want to buy one.

I don't know about quality before, but I handled a few a couple of days ago: CTR, UPR and Tac A1 (or was it Tact A1?). Triggers were good, bolt was smooth, and I didn't otherwise notice any particular bugs, just handling them in shops in my home town in Finland.
Good to know! Maybe Finland is just keeping the good ones for themselves;)

Reactions: Charlie112
You mean like shipping .223 rifles with magnum bolts?

View attachment 8067004
Someone at Bud's did that by mistake.
There's a new rifle owner chambered in 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag that's really pissed about now...
A call to Bud's with the Serial Numbers on the rifle and on the bolt will probably solve "The Mystery of the Oversized Bolt Face"

Reactions: RockyMntUt
Would you be able to elaborate on that a bit? Thanks!
My comment is based on comparing a Tikka T3 I bought about 14 years ago to recent production T3x that I can easily handle at Sheel's. The actions aren't as smooth, the cocking hand-off isn't as smooth, and some some had a misalignment of barrel in stock.

My comment is based on comparing a Tikka T3 I bought about 14 years ago to recent production T3x that I can easily handle at Sheel's. The actions aren't as smooth, the cocking hand-off isn't as smooth, and some some had a misalignment of barrel in stock.
I understand that nothing good lasts forever. If it’s just smoothness and a wonky stock I feel like I can look past that. I just need it to feed, shoot less than 1 moa, and eject…without fail.

That’s actually asking a lot from a factory action these days!

You’re 14 year old rifle will have a smoother action, you’ve been working it for quite a while. Can’t offer a valid reason for misalignment issues unless it’s a plastic stock.

If I remember correctly you got that off gunbroker, correct? You really think Tikka shipped it that way?
Someone at Bud's did that by mistake.
There's a new rifle owner chambered in 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag that's really pissed about now...
A call to Bud's with the Serial Numbers on the rifle and on the bolt will probably solve "The Mystery of the Oversized Bolt Face"
That would be my gun, purchased brand new through Bud’s. Bud’s insists that they do not open factory new rifles. It had to be shipped directly back to Tikka and is currently awaiting resolution.

Interestingly enough, export regulations require Tikka serialize their receivers, bolts, and barrels to match, so I don’t see how it could have come directly from the factory like that. Obviously something had to have happened post-export… whether by accident or with intent is a different story.

Either way not a good look, especially when the bolts all fit in the receiver the same. Fortunately we caught it prior to doing the transfer, but I don’t know how many “normal buyers” would catch an issue like that.

Reactions: jb0311
That would be my gun, purchased brand new through Bud’s. Bud’s insists that they do not open factory new rifles. It had to be shipped directly back to Tikka and is currently awaiting resolution.

Interestingly enough, export regulations require Tikka serialize their receivers, bolts, and barrels to match, so I don’t see how it could have come directly from the factory like that. Obviously something had to have happened post-export… whether by accident or with intent is a different story.

Either way not a good look, especially when the bolts all fit in the receiver the same. Fortunately we caught it prior to doing the transfer, but I don’t know how many “normal buyers” would catch an issue like that.
Sorry you’re dealing with this! And not a great look…but luckily one that has a simple solution. Was the bolt matched serially to the receiver/barrel?

How does one check for this issue? Did you measure the bolt face? Or just visualize and see it’s way bigger than a .223?

Sorry you’re dealing with this! And not a great look…but luckily one that has a simple solution. Was the bolt matched serially to the receiver/barrel?

How does one check for this issue? Did you measure the bolt face? Or just visualize and see it’s way bigger than a .223?

No, barrel and receiver matched, bolt did not. And it’s an easy solution, yes, but also a situation that could have had dangerous implications had it not been caught as it did. Realistically I think the gun would have fired fine and the case just wouldn’t have extracted, but I also have no interest in putting my face next to it and finding out for sure.

Fortunately I’ve seen enough to know when something doesn’t look right, and a mag bolt in a 223 is not something you see all too often. No substitute for experience though, and hopefully it serves as a lesson that you can never be too careful even when it comes to factory firearms.

No, barrel and receiver matched, bolt did not. And it’s an easy solution, yes, but also a situation that could have had dangerous implications had it not been caught as it did. Realistically I think the gun would have fired fine and the case just wouldn’t have extracted, but I also have no interest in putting my face next to it and finding out for sure.

Fortunately I’ve seen enough to know when something doesn’t look right, and a mag bolt in a 223 is not something you see all too often. No substitute for experience though, and hopefully it serves as a lesson that you can never be too careful even when it comes to factory firearms.
It seems like the bolt not being headspaced properly to a .223 might present the greatest risk of slop/rupture.

Glad it’s getting resolved. A less attentive person wouldn’t have seen that.

Reactions: just browsing
Just my opinion. I would take a tikka t3 over the T3X of the same caliber.

You’re 14 year old rifle will have a smoother action, you’ve been working it for quite a while. Can’t offer a valid reason for misalignment issues unless it’s a plastic stock.

The bolt on my rifle was that smooth when new.

This has got to be one of the most stupid geopolitical theories I've heard in a long, long time.

Thanks for your help and support in making a $1000 purchase:)
Dude. My dude. You are over-over-over-thinking this.

Find a local gun shop that has an above-and-beyond return policy and order the gun in. Or I believe Bud’s offers a better warranty as an add-on. This sort of service exists. Find it.

Or better yet, find the gun locally. Yeah, you’ll pay more, who cares? It’s the best way and it results in the least headaches.

If you are really butt-clenchingly cheap…well…happy headaches!

have a new laminated stainless in 6.5 and recently had a ctr in 223. to me the same quality as the first on i owned >10yr ago. great trigger,smooth bore,accurate. got 1 more coming.

Reactions: yosemite_sam
If you cant find locally, order from Eurooptic… one of the few places to not fuck me over the years.

Find a local gun shop that has an above-and-beyond return policy and order the gun in. Or I believe Bud’s offers a better warranty as an add-on. This sort of service exists. Find it.

Or better yet, find the gun locally. Yeah, you’ll pay more, who cares? It’s the best way and it results in the least headaches.

$1000 is a lot of money for me, I'm a student. I try to think A LOT, before I'm about to drop that much money on a rifle that apparently has really bad customer service(Beretta).

I'm in Chattanooga TN and there ain't no shop around that carries a CTR...only Tikkas with pencil thin barrels. Hence my apprehension about dropping 1000K on a rifle I can't lay my hands on.

However I am interested in this Bud's warranty thing! I'm about to get my tax return, so I'm willing to spend over $1000(what you can find them for online) but I need to figure out how to get one in stock so I can handle it. Open to suggestions because I've only ever bought guns from online retailers and had them shipped to a local shop for transfer(one horrific experience), or just bought something from a brick and mortar.

Actually found a local shop that gets in Tikkas...no return policy to speak of but I figure I get the 3 year warranty from Tikka...and I'm guna run it hard in that time. If things blow out after 3 years looks like a new barrel/LRI bolt/trigger would be no issues for me. I'll be outa school then.

Barrel life Accuracy of a 6.5cm ought to exceed 2,500 rds unless you shoot long strings after it’s already hot. More common w a pencil barrel. 308 win barrel life accuracy ought to be north of 5,000 rds.

1. DO NOT depend on that Tikka warranty. There are a few people on the Hide who have stated that Beretta USA/Tikka importer has horrible CS. That said, they're generally pretty good in term of QC.

2. For the price, once you shoot out the barrel, just get another Tikka new and drop it into your current setup after the barrel is burned out and sell the old one as a barreled action with a shot out barrel.

3. By then I doubt you'll still have only one rifle.

4. Get whatever caliber you want. If shooting inside of 600, stick with .308. Past 800 regularly go 6.5.

$1000 is a lot of money for me, I'm a student. I try to think A LOT, before I'm about to drop that much money on a rifle that apparently has really bad customer service(Beretta).

I'm in Chattanooga TN and there ain't no shop around that carries a CTR...only Tikkas with pencil thin barrels. Hence my apprehension about dropping 1000K on a rifle I can't lay my hands on.

However I am interested in this Bud's warranty thing! I'm about to get my tax return, so I'm willing to spend over $1000(what you can find them for online) but I need to figure out how to get one in stock so I can handle it. Open to suggestions because I've only ever bought guns from online retailers and had them shipped to a local shop for transfer(one horrific experience), or just bought something from a brick and mortar.
I agree. It's not about "go be poor somewhere else." It is about getting what you pay for, regardless of the goddamned price. People get so hung up on Gucci pricing.

I was watching a Hornady pod cast about the size of groups you need to accurately judge a rifle system (including the shooter) capability. And you can spend 8 or 10k on a system and have a flier. Or a 100 round group shows that you are 1 MOA or smidge larger when you just paid all this money to have a "1/4 MOA rifle."

Then, if you get a brand that was respected and cost more than the bargain bin yet it is having problems, that is a problem. Good luck to you.

a rifle that apparently has really bad customer service(Beretta).

You use their factory-authorized service centers not Beretta USA itself.

There you go assuming you know what you're talking about again.

I have a t3x varmint in 6.5cm that was bought in Oct. It's the 1st Tikka I've owned, so I have nothing to compare it to, but so far I'm loving it!
It was shooting sub MOA out the box and now that I have it in a proper chassis with the load it likes I consistently get .3-.5 MOA

1. DO NOT depend on that Tikka warranty. There are a few people on the Hide who have stated that Beretta USA/Tikka importer has horrible CS. That said, they're generally pretty good in term of QC.

2. For the price, once you shoot out the barrel, just get another Tikka new and drop it into your current setup after the barrel is burned out and sell the old one as a barreled action with a shot out barrel.

3. By then I doubt you'll still have only one rifle.

4. Get whatever caliber you want. If shooting inside of 600, stick with .308. Past 800 regularly go 6.5.
If you're shooting inside of 600 get a .223. :)

Reactions: mosin46
You use their factory-authorized service centers not Beretta USA itself.

There you go assuming you know what you're talking about again.
I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I’ll repeat. I DO NOT know what I’m talking about.

That’s why I’m asking for help. And you’re telling me my ideas are stupid and I am making assumptions.

I’m sorry that I’m a butt hurt, cancel culture, libral snowflake. But seriously man you’re kinda hurting my feelings and creating an environment that is unwelcoming to new people who are trying to figure this all out.

Reactions: mosin46
I’ve bought 2 tikkas in the last couple months. A CTR in 308 and T1X 22. CTR shows great promise for accuracy and seems very well built. Same build quality for the T1X. Haven’t tested accuracy yet on that though. They have some of the best single stage factory triggers I’ve seen. My T1X drops to 15 oz from factory

They’re not AI’s or Cadex but they’re certainly not a savage or Rem either.

The war and the more prolonged it is and the future between China/Taiwan and US will have effects on everything. So buy what you want now

You can just put 308buttpirate on ignore if you want. Forum has that feature. Or just entertain him like most do.

If you’re looking for a Tikka and concerned about quality control just find one with a serial number predated to the conflict. But I don’t think it’s an issue either way personally

Last edited: