• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka Rifles

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
Looking at some of their offerings, i might consider on of their centerfires for a future buy. Only bad I recall hearing is the polymer stock is flimsy and the detachable mags are not heavy duty.
Is the stock Remington-SPS flimsy or just not as rigid as Manners/McMillan? Are the magazines serviceable and not prone to failure?

Stocks are much better than Remington or savage Tupperware, the makes are serviceable but may leave something to be desired in the OAL depending on what you go with. They are getting a better aftermarket following too.

I have a super varmint, the stock is OK. it certainly wasn't designed for esthetic appeal, but it is quite stiff. the magazine is probably as tough as an AR15 Magpul magazine. I am quite happy with the rifle, it doesn't have flash appeal, it just gets on with business.

The stock is light, but not flimsy. Yes the magazines and trigger guard, bolt shroud are polymer but really reduces the weight. The fit and finish on the stock are excellent, to the point that if you paint the stock it can be difficult to re-seat the barreled action.

Both my Tikkas shoot moa or less with pretty much any load in the factory stocks. The only reason to change it would be because of want, not need.

Not sure why folks dog on the Tikka polymer stuff, not like you gonna beat a deer to death with the rifle. If a hunter drops his rifle and the trigger guard happens to impact and crack, well shame on them. Only dead commies drop their rifles.

I have two T3 lites. The stock, trigger guard, and mags leave a bit to be desired. They have respectable ergonomics but they are cheap and plasticy. They're the Remington 710 of European rifles although quite a bit nicer. They're very accurate but so are a lot of other $500 rifles in Tupperware stocks. My T3 that has been rechambered in 223AI is a hammer but so are all the Weatherby Vanguards, and most of the R700's I've had.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. Personally I'd take a vanguard over the Tikka for most purposes. I bought the 223 because it was the only 1:8 game in town and I bought a 25-06 SS because a dealer was closing them out on the cheap. I suppose you can't go wrong but I'd rather have other rifles that are comparable prices.

I'd add that the Tikka Bolt is hands down one of the smoothest factory bolts you will find. I love mine, which now sits in an XLR chassis.

The plastic stock on my factory Tikka is as rigid as the XLR chassis on my built Tikka. I don't know where people get the notion that the stocks are flimsy. They are head and shoulders above Rem/Savage plastic stocks. Also, to be quite honest I prefer the plastic crap for the same reason I prefer Magpul magazines to aluminum. My plastic trigger guard and magazine is more durable per weight than aluminum. To each his own.

the tikkas run fine and are one of my favorite off the shelf rifles right now. the plastic is better than the hogue stuff on remmies but feels cheap to me. always worked ok. the varmint models are best deal on market in my opinion. But the tacticals have a better feeling bolt. ANd i better i mean lubed bearing fell. I can literally move my bolt by blowing on it (save the smart ass remarks :) ) Both are really smooth. I guess it all depends on what you want it for. as is its great for hunting, for more precision work the ergos and lightness of the supplied stock suck to me. ymmv. But aftermarket is catching up with the new demand. ive owned varmint and ctr in 308. both were easily sub-moa rifles, even in the plastic stock. The ctr was consistently in the .5's with handloads. the varmint in the .7's, but never really got my load tweaked for it.

The tikka stock is underrated. Ugly yes, poorly made no. The tolerances are ultra tight. It's not a free floated barrel contrary to popular belief.

T3 lite stock is not for the look. But it is well made and stiff. Very happy with my friend's t3 lite.

The tikka stock is underrated. Ugly yes, poorly made no. The tolerances are ultra tight. It's not a free floated barrel contrary to popular belief.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I have a Tikka T3 Varmint and the barrel is in fact free floated. I have had it out of the stock and see no contact points for the barrel. I have also done the trick where you slide a piece of paper inbetween the barrel and the stock. And Tikka themselves advertise the T3 as having a free floated barrel.

So is there any reason to build off a T3 action as opposed to a R700 action?

Personally I think the Tikka is higher quality out of the box than the R700 in terms of not needing gunsmith work to get it to shoot well. However there are more aftermarket options available and more gunsmiths familiar with the R700. The Tikka seems to be catching up in both areas though, and I certainly would (and plan to) buy the Tikka again given the choice between the two.

Good info! I have been interested in Tikka for a while as my first bolt gun. Thanks guy!

If I may jump on the bandwagon, it seems that some of the Tikka's come with a rail on the top of the receiver, is it part of the receiver or is it removable? Is there any slope to it or it is flat?

Thank!

Super varmint, Tac , CTR an sporter come will rail. The oem rail is 0 moa an bonded but can be removed for the likes of a egw rail.

Btw I have a semi custom 308 varmint with aics viperskins and it is a fantastic rifle with superb accuracy

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I have a Tikka T3 Varmint and the barrel is in fact free floated. I have had it out of the stock and see no contact points for the barrel. I have also done the trick where you slide a piece of paper inbetween the barrel and the stock. And Tikka themselves advertise the T3 as having a free floated barrel.

The Tikka T3 lite has two pressure points approx 2/3 down the barrel. Obviously the Sako engineers did this for a reason, so I never removed them.

I do not have a varmint but do have a spare varmint stock, and you are correct, there are no pressure points anywhere in the barrel channel .

I have a Tikka Lite in 270. Excellent trigger and very accuarate, neat little rifle and very lite. The barrel is free floated with no pressure points.

All t3 rifles should be free floating. Sometimes the barrel channel is a bit tight on some stocks near the chamber an could do with a tidy up however.

Every tikka I have used has shot great no matter what you feed them.

So is there any reason to build off a T3 action as opposed to a R700 action?

Yes, a few!

1. The action is stronger, no open top, better structural rigidity.
2. The stock trigger is much better.
3. The bolts are butter-smooth out of the box and only get better with use.
4. The actions have features (like side bolt release) that cost extra to add to your Remington.
5. The factory barrels are typically very accurate.

Cons:
All Tikka T3 Lites are long action. Buy a 223, it is a long action, just like a 300WM or a 308.

For a starter action on a custom build, it is great option. Barrel threads are standard, not metric; an bottom metal is usually part of a new stock anyway. The aftermarket is growing, with all necessary part now available from a few sources.

There is one reason not to use Tikka (long action) and MANY reasons to use.

Last edited:
Around this neck of the woods Tikkas are held in high regards for their reliability, high accuracy and high value for money.
I just bought a T3 Varmint and while I was not super impressed with the plastic magazine, plastic bottom "metal" and stock I am pretty sure that they work just fine for most hunters and many target shooters.
Compared to an Remington SPS stock the Tikka syntetic stock is nicer and stiffer.
However, I decided to replace those parts with a stock from KRG and I am super satisfied with the setup.
The only thing that Tikka should change is the bolt shroud, it should be alloy from the factory instead of the plastic one they come supplied with now.

All t3 rifles should be free floating. Sometimes the barrel channel is a bit tight on some stocks near the chamber an could do with a tidy up however.

Every tikka I have used has shot great no matter what you feed them.

No, the T3 lite is not supposed to be free floating, the barrel is in tight contact several inches forward of the chamber by design.

Last edited:
They're the Remington 710 of European rifles .

Not only are they better than a 710, they trump a 700 too. They have a real trigger, side bolt release, a better extractor, a better bolt handle, and a Sako barrel. You can also convert them to use the AI mags too.

Faulting a Tikka for "plastic" is like faulting every polymer pistol like Glock.

I've been looking into a T3 varmint in .223 rem for a new fun gun for shooting 500 and under. I haven't heard any real downsides to them

I am a tikka owner. I like tikka.

However, I am not happy with some plastic parts on it. It is not because I hate plastic, actually I am a huge fan of plastic guns such as hk. If the plastic parts are strong enough, that is perfectly fine. But the bolt shroud on my tikka cracked. I replaced it with an aluminum shroud.

Now you can buy aluminum shroud for about $50. I am thinking why not just use aluminum shroud on tikka before they were sold and just raise the price by $50 ?

I do not care about plastic mag but I do not like the plastic trigger guard.

If you like tikka, you can buy one and replace the bolt shroud, and replace the stock by a chassis, then no more worry about plastics.

Considering the price, a tikka tactical is almost $1500, plus a good quality chassis, the final price you pay is over $2500. Why not just add another $500 and go for a TRG ?

Yes, a few!

1. The action is stronger, no open top, better structural rigidity.
2. The stock trigger is much better.
3. The bolts are butter-smooth out of the box and only get better with use.
4. The actions have features (like side bolt release) that cost extra to add to your Remington.
5. The factory barrels are typically very accurate.

Cons:
All Tikka T3 Lites are long action. Buy a 223, it is a long action, just like a 300WM or a 308.

For a starter action on a custom build, it is great option. Barrel threads are standard, not metric; an bottom metal is usually part of a new stock anyway. The aftermarket is growing, with all necessary part now available from a few sources.

There is on reason not to use Tikka (long action) and MANY reasons to use.

When I try to list reasons why Tikka makes a better rifle than Rem/Savage, I usually forget a few, and you seem to have nailed it except for one feature: 70 degree bolt lift! It's not a 3 lug bolt so you dont get the 60 degree like some other rifles, but those 20 degrees definitely make manipulating the bolt faster and easier, especially with a scope that has a big ocular.

However, I am not happy with some plastic parts on it. It is not because I hate plastic, actually I am a huge fan of plastic guns such as hk. If the plastic parts are strong enough, that is perfectly fine. But the bolt shroud on my tikka cracked. I replaced it with an aluminum shroud.

Now you can buy aluminum shroud for about $50. I am thinking why not just use aluminum shroud on tikka before they were sold and just raise the price by $50 ?

If you like tikka, you can buy one and replace the bolt shroud, and replace the stock by a chassis, then no more worry about plastics.

Considering the price, a tikka tactical is almost $1500, plus a good quality chassis, the final price you pay is over $2500. Why not just add another $500 and go for a TRG ?

Why buy the tactical when you are going to replace everything but the action anyways? I bought a new in box T3 Lite for $475 and had it rebarrelled, then dropped it in a chassis. I have a rifle that is at least as good if not better than a TRG, exactly the way I want it, with most of the same features for cheaper.

Why buy the tactical when you are going to replace everything but the action anyways? I bought a new in box T3 Lite for $475 and had it rebarrelled, then dropped it in a chassis. I have a rifle that is at least as good if not better than a TRG, exactly the way I want it, with most of the same features for cheaper.

I did not say remove everything.
If you buy tactical, you must keep the barrel.

If you buy lite and rebarrel, I think that will cost almost the same as buying a tactical. You buy a good barrel at around $300 to $400, plus gun smith cost around $400 to $500, the total cost is about $800.

Could you please share how much you paid for rebarrel? and what barrel did you choose?

Thanks

My tikka t3 lite in .300 wsm has survived 6 years of elk and deer hunts. All the plastic parts have survived the abuse elk hunting can give to a rifle. I took a dremel to my stock the barrel is free floated. Tightened groups up even more. Awesome rifle for the price IMHO.

I did not say remove everything.
If you buy tactical, you must keep the barrel.

If you buy lite and rebarrel, I think that will cost almost the same as buying a tactical. You buy a good barrel at around $300 to $400, plus gun smith cost around $400 to $500, the total cost is about $800.

Could you please share how much you paid for rebarrel? and what barrel did you choose?

Thanks

It does cost almost as much. Total cost for barrelled action was 1400 according to my records. Unless you want to be stuck with a .223 or .308, most people rebarrel anyways. If they offered the Tactical in a better cartridge such as .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, I would STILL get a Lite and have it rebarrelled, because I can get the length and contour I want. Mine wears a 21" Med Palma Bartlein chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Actually now that I look at it, my barrelled action cost was about 1150 before I had the entire thing nitrided.

+1
I started upgrading my Tikka T3, sold it and bought my first TRG. Couldn't be happier!

I'm becoming quite a Tikka fan. I purchased a Tikka T3 Sporter in 308 with a 24" barrel and could not be happier. The ergonomics on the stock are great. Very much like a TRG (which it's patterned after of course). I purchased it in November and since then all 168 grain HPBT factory ammo (along with a few other types) holds under .5 MOA.

I also work in a fishing / hunting store and get to see quite a few Tikkas and other rifles. For the money, I'd choose a Tikka any day. I think it's ridiculous to complain about the plastic on the rifle. You simply have to take certain measures to make it affordable. Plus you can upgrade these things as you want.

For anyone looking for a T3 in 260 it appears a productions run of T3 hunters made it to the US. A couple places show them listed as in stock for around $650.

I love mine. I dropped it into a XLR chassis shoots 1/2 MOA (out to 400yds at least) all day long. Taken several ground hogs over 300yds with one shot. My wife went shooting with me and had her hitting out to 730yds with a first rd hit first time behind it and first time ever shooting a rifle period. Beginners luck might have played in on it to, but not going to tell her that so she will still come out and shoot wth me.

I picked a 260 up in left hand about a month ago at the local store. Only one I could find. And I think it was sitting there for awhile because it had 2012 on the box.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Bought a new Tikka T3 from Beretta last year in 7mm-08. To light for that caliber and after dumping all kinds of money in the gun it would not shoot. Wonderfully smooth action and trigger after trigger job.

FYI...Tikka stocks are reinforced with fiberglass. That's why they call them "reinforced polymer". I just got done inletting and bedding 4 of them, and there was fiberglass shards flying everywhere.

And the "long action" is the best thing that could happen. Throw a LA bolt stop, and a Long magazine into a medium action...such as a .308 or a 7MM-08, and you can shoot the big bullets fed from a magazine--no prob.

Love them, every one I have ever seen was free floated.
If they would import the heavy barreled rifles in more calibers I probably would not feel the need to build all my rifles.
After market stocks, chassis and bolt parts have come leaps and bounds in just a year or two.
The actual manufacturer makes a decent variety of barrel and caliber options.
Now if the importer would just catch up with the after market and the manufacturer : The Tikka could dominate.
I am tempted to buy a "sporter" heavy target version in 260 or 6.5x55 just in hopes of encouraging the importer to expand in that direction.