• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tikka t3 .223 8 twist 75 amax

gravityoutdoors

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2012
Greensburg, KY
Is anyone running 75grain amax to mag length in tikka t3 .223? I have a t3 lite. Bullits definitely seem seated way to far. I may have to get the cdi bottom metal. Thanks

I don't think you can load the 75 AMAX to normal (2.260) mag length in a .223 Rem. It may actually be physically possible, but not really how the bullet was designed to be used. The Tikka .223 mag doesn't have much room either.

There's a way to modify the mag for longer COAL. Directions are floating in the net somewhere...

Seat how you want and single load. I do it with the 80g Sierra Match Kings.

mine was a little finicky with the 75 amax, had to play with the oal
found my sweet spot at 2.420,thats using the cdi/ai mag set up. now 80gr smk's
it didn't seem to really care on the oal.

I followed directions on the Hide here to mod the mag. Gained another .3" over stock. Seats darn near anything long enough in my gun. The mod is a bit tedious, but was a great afternoon project and functioned well once tweaked properly.

However, if I hadn't planned on buying a KRG I would have spent the money on a CDI with AICS mags and been done with it.

I did the mag mod as well, all the T3 223 mags I had were a shorter internal length than a Pmag. I'm running 75gr Amax's with the chamber reamed to 223AI and seating .030 off the lands.

The better question is where the hell are yall getting 75gr amaxs these days? Ive been trying like hell to find some to make a load for the PRI AR mags but haven't had any luck since Hornady isn't making them right now.

Not a big fan of single loading. I like to have all the function of the gun, and I'm going to hunt coyotes with it. The mod is interesting, I will probably try that.

understood. But ya know, with a T3, you'll only need one shot anyway...

I had a helluva time trying to get anything to shoot well in my T3 Tac until I sent it down to CDI and had Jeff do the AICS DBM. When the 75-80 grain bullets got loaded to mag AICS mag length I hit a sweet spot. As for the KRG, I wanted to keep this one on the lighter side (I have a 26" APA custom in 223) so I went CDI instead. Jeff did a great job and II couldn't be happier.

I can seat .223 rounds longer than my 2.260 in my 700P and still use the mag. And the mag can be modified to go even longer still...

Be sure of your limits in that rifle.

Not sure if this is the same mod that is mentioned earlier in the thread...but here is one from 24hourcampfire:

Tikka T3 .223 Magazine Modification - How To: - 24hourcampfire

I did this to a few of my tikka mags a few years ago. I shoot .223 stuff loaded out to 2.6something inches now. Be very careful to not crack the plastic on top of the mag, it holds it together and once its mucked the sides will flex outwards up the rounds wont sit right under the feed lips.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have a custom throated barrel on mine. Don't seat yours that far without checking :p

The better question is where the hell are yall getting 75gr amaxs these days? Ive been trying like hell to find some to make a load for the PRI AR mags but haven't had any luck since Hornady isn't making them right now.

I picked up 1000 of these about 6 months ago. I have no clue where to get them.