• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TIKKA T3 in .300 win mag

Re: TIKKA T3 in .300 win mag

You're not going to hear many bad things about Tikka's. I bought my first last year a LH T3 lite in .243. With hand loads it now shoots in the .4 to .6 range and with factory ammo in the .5 to .75 range. Worst group to date was a .9 when I was first working up loads.

I've never heard of one not shooting under .75. For a factory rifle for hunting not to mention it was under $600 bucks what's not to like. The Tikka bolt slide through the action like wet ice on wet ice. Even my custom rifles aren't as smooth. The first time I fed a round I could barely detect the round was feeding. I had to pull the bolt back to make sure. I've never had a round not feed. The recoil lug is very interesting as it's bedded into the stock and the reciever has a machined slot that it fits in. Interesting design and it seems to work well. Trigger adjustments are simple and easy. Mine breaks at a crisp 2.5 pounds. With a borescope the inside of my bore is almost mirror smooth with very little machine marks.

Those are the upsides. Down side but I don't see them being a problem. The magazines are plastic, but work very well. I have the T3 SS lite with the fiber glass stock. The trigger guard is molded into the stock to reduce costs. Currently there is not a lot of after market accessories for the Tikka's.

For me it's a hunting rifle that should be able to take any abuse I can throw at it while hunting. My next hunting rifle will be a Tikka.

Hope it helps

Reactions: Gwak2006

I Just purchased a .300 win mag in tactical but havnt given it a proper crack as yet.

Fitted a factory muzzle break which has brought recoil back down (comparable to my 30/06 now)

Am looking at more appropriate glass for it, currently fitted with a simmons whitetail 4.5-14 which is a great scope but isnt really doing the gun any justice.

tossing up between leupold and nightforce...
comments appreciated on this one.

also looking for replacement mag as im not a big fan of plastic mag from factory.

anyone have any leads???

I own two Tikka T3 Lite model's. One in .223 and one in .223. I also owned the Tactical model in .308.
All three of them will shoot under 1/2" five shot groups at 100yrds all day long with factory ammo.

The Lite model in .300 Win Mag is gonna be a mule. They are very light rifles.
I would suggest a good muzzle brake and recoil pad. I had my .243 chopped down to 16 1/4" barrel and a Vais Micro brake installed. It is what I use for coyote hunting. Not that a .243 has much recoil but with the brake it feels like shooting a .22.

Eagle eye....they only option I am aware of would be to put it in one of Pete's RCS stocks as seen here: http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?info=p139_RCS-Stock--Complete-.html

Then you would be able to use AI mags.

Take care,Stan

PS...here is my .243

WOW... i love that RCS stock for the Tikka!!!!

gona put that on my shopping list....

1st though i need to find some suitable optics to replace the whitetail.

Im very jealous that you can get calibers other than the .223 and .308 in the tacticals. I still dont understand why Beretta will not import those or the varmints in the bigger calibers. I think a varmint in .260 would be an outstanding rifle for tactical matches right out of the box.

I have a lot of different hunting rifles and Tikka's are my favorite. I have 5 of them. from .223 to .338 Win Mag and they all consistently shoot EVERYTHING I shoot in them under 1 inch groups.

The .223 and 7mm usually under .5 MOA when I do my part.

The actions are the slickest that I know of. They are even slicker than my Sako's. I don't mind the plastic magazine other than it costs $70 to replace and replacing a stock is about $400 dollars. The aftermarket parts are limited.

Everytime I go to grab a rifle I look at my $2000 Weatherby's and with some embarrassment reach past them for my $499 Tikkas.

If you take the stock off to paint it, watch out for the recoil block, it can fall out and they are $50 dollars to replace!!!

You'll never regret owning one.

I had a Tikka T3 Lite Camo in 300WM, it was very accurate gun, handled well, and was always my go-to gun.

I sold it to make room for a GAP non-typical hunter. It was a trade up, but the Tikka is a damn fine gun.

Many hogs ( and a few deer and a bobcat) met their maker early thanx to Tikka's fine product.

1425_smaller-1.jpg

At just over 200 yards, it was a perfect spine shot, she was quartering toward, I squeezed and watched the impact (great brake by Ed Vandenberg), she dropped, pooped, and died - those last 2, maybe not in that order.

They are nasty creatures, but the sound they make when hit by a bullet or arrow is pure music, in a twisted-kinda way.

Tikka T3's IMOP are the best hunting rifle for the $$$.

I have a T3 that looks like Rancid Coolaid's
Mine is in 7MM
and a friend of mine has the same one in 300WM. Both of us are very pleased with the rifle.

The only downside is the stock, it feels really cheap to me. I plan on swapping it out for a M40A1 but then again. I dont get to hunt much so I go back and forth with the idea. With some handloads I have had some 3/8" groups. The action is like glass.

Buy with confidence

My 30-06 Tikka Whitetail Hunter would cloverleaf shots at 100 yards. I'm always watching for another either in 308, or one in the 695 size so I can build a 338-06 for fun.
The Whitetails' synthetic stocks have been panned by some... but I've always thought they were a better/beefier stock than what they put on the T3's now

There are always Tikkas on Gunbroker. I think they have a 25-06 or two for sale that are reasonable. That's just a rebarrel to 338-06. They all use the same action and only the bolt is different regardless of the caliber. Regardless, check gunbroker.

im wrapped with my .300 tikka tactical

like most have said here its action is the smoothest you will find.

its unfort. there is a massive jump in price between varmint and tactical, though accuracy with this thing is fantastic and recoil once fitted with the sako brake is very bearable.

heading out 2moro, will post pics when i have the chance.

Does anyone know if the regular Varmint model has a threaded muzzle? I was looking on Tikka's chart and looks like their "Medium MT" actions are the only ones within the Varmint line that has the threaded muzzle... A lot of action lengths and confusing...

I bought a Varmint in 300WM! Ive had it for bout almost a year now. Originally I wanted a 270 or 7mm Rem Mag, something fairly flat shooting BUT I was waiting too long and eventually it was 7months till I had enough of waiting and called the importer & asked what calibres were available. They only had 3 LHers 223, 30-06 & 300WM. So went for the 300WM.

Story behind it was that cause i shoot left handed (right handed but unfortunately, left eyed!) I had to wait till a LH model became available to me in OZ but most rifles Tikka produced were being shipped to the U.S. & Australia was getting what ever was left over, so there was a huge wait for me. If I have needed a RH I would have had one instantly!

Anyway back to the post, I couldnt be more happy with it! It shoots great. Ive tried factory hunting ammo and it was pretty piss poor but once I handloaded I has getting 0.8" 5 shot groups with HPBT GAMEKINGS at 100m!!! Its not the best group (Im not the most experienced person) but I think thats a decent group with hunting projectiles. I just tried some 190g Matchkings (I liked the BC. of the 190s) and they stabilised great at 200m. I only had a hand full of bullets loaded but it stayed under moa.

All in all its a great rifle, the varmint isnt threaded for a muzzle break (atleast mine wasnt, not sure if they are now) so it kicks like a mule at the range (Ive been into bodybuilding most of my adult life so the shoulder meat adds a bit of padding lol). Some of my mates have shot it and they dislike the kick and think the calibre is a little too much but at one property I hunt at most shots average 300-700m and it performs great. Only downside is the stock is too light and a bit cheap feeling, which doesnt really absorb any recoil. Apart from that the smooth action & accuracy make it worth every dollar spent!

Reactions: Lucky1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle_eye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im wrapped with my .300 tikka tactical

its unfort. there is a massive jump in price between varmint and tactical, though accuracy with this thing is fantastic and recoil once fitted with the sako brake is very bearable.</div></div>

Im happy for your purchase!

Personally I cant justify the price difference between the Varmint ($1,300 AUS what i originally paid) vs & Tactical ($2,600 AUS). I dont think an adjustible cheek piece, finish, side swivels, picatinny rail & Threaded barrel (Brake is extra $200 AUS I think) for a brake are worth the jump. Simply cause my stock will probably be changed later & since most of its job will be on the hunting trips, you dont really notice the recoil in the field.

I dont think theres a major difference between them, it seems like the same rifle except the Tactical is a little more 'dolled' up. With a price tag of approx $1,300 AUS more I could buy 2 Varmints!! Not starting anything, just my two cents! Maybe Im a tight ass!