• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tikka t3 lite .308

logancummins338

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
iowa
So I have a tikka t3 lite chambered in .308, and as any of you who own one or have shot one, you know that the recoil is a little ridiculous, I like to got out and shoot 500+ yards, but its harder than hell to see POI, I was thinkin about throwing, a good, clamp on muzzle break on her, does anyone use one? Or have any suggestions? For the sake of accuracy, and my damn shoulder lol! Thanks!!

I have the same weapon. I'll preface the important stuff by saying that I shoot from a bench (with bipod) because I haven't taken the time to find a place to shoot prone yet. Anyhow, here goes:

1: A Limbsaver pad helped reduce recoil quite a bit; the muzzle still jumps some, but the Limbsaver created a noticeable difference in control.
2: I realize that I really have to focus on fundamentals with the Lite. Positioning, hold, posture, are extremely important (regardless, I suppose of what sort of rifle you're using) as the Lite magnifies any flaws in your skill-set.
3: Filling the stock (I haven't tried it) to add some weight has been suggested elsewhere.
4: The Lite is not intended for ultra-long range shooting as it's set up.

It seems that you're a hunter and it's clear that hunting is what the Lite is meant to do; a more stable platform would probably be desirable for any sort of genuine precision long-range shooting. I bought the rifle in part because I like the action and I also think that it is a good training gun (see point 2) and a decent action to build on. I plan on upgrading the stock--in time--to begin reaching out farther than I do currently (200 yds) and to achieve some measure of stability for POI observation.

My suggestions: upgrade the stock to something heavier that is designed to better eat-up that recoil and that may provide better overall ergonomics. I haven't tried a muzzle-break . . .

Last edited:
Agree with above, I use a limbsaver on my 7mm mag and a bearthooth on my 30-06. Its not really needed for hunting, as I will only pop off about 3 shot in the season. For workups the heavy recoil gets old quick. Usually I shoot prone with a bipod, but with my Tikkas I use a homebrew tripod and support the forearm of the rifle with my support hand.

I would not consider any type of clamp on brake. There really isnt enough meat on the lite barrel to thread a brake, unless you chop it down real short. The only thing I can suggest is the tripod, or use a loop sling in the prone.

Last edited:
Lol i am shooting prone, with a bipod it still thumps good, I know its just a hunting rifle, but 500 yards isnt that far either, I dont use it for hunting, as there isnt a highpower season for whitetail here, and my 22-250, 243, and 223 all work great for coyotes, I have to get some kind of use out of my tikka.

the tikka's are a brilliant rifle in mho but yes they do kick, id go a muzzle brake and a limbsaver. between those to if your still having problems you need a smaller calibre

Have you tried just running a lighter bullet? The 150's aren't bad at all out of mine.

the barrel on my T3 is so far from being concentric...bore to o.d. of barrel...i believe a m.b. is nearly impossible.(correctly with the rite bullet clearence )
your stock is hollow......i`ll bet you could get 10# of shot in it..... take it out during hunting season............

Iowa has a high power season in Jan for whitetails. However, it is only in the bottom two county tiers of the state and includes antlerless only. Now you have a use for your 308 if your close enough.

I did an integral radial brake on my T3 lite barrel, made a huge difference, the rifle's a pussycat now

That sounds awesome, do you do the machine work? I'm looking at replacing my Moose rifle (browning a-bolt 300win stalker) with a Tikka t3 lite or Superlite in 300win. A brake would be in order I'm sure as it would be right at 8lbs scoped.

Maybe try a different stock. I swear there is a composite aftermarket stock that Stocks offers. That would add some weight

My T3 lite is in 6.5x55. Stupid accurate, and mild recoil. I always thought that a T3 in a .30 would be pretty rough on the shoulder. Recoil pad, and brake.

I have a t3 lite in .30-06 I use for the mountains critters. Limbsaver recoil pad, cut the barrel to 20" and threaded a muzzle brake. Muzzle still moves, but it's very comfortable and I can still spot my shots.

I put a limbsaver on my T-3 Lite .30-06 and it alone makes a big difference. I can shoot it off the bench no problem. Way worth it for me.