• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3 Rebarrel integrity

rimfiremac

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
Northeast
I'm contemplating rebarreling my T3 sporter with a 30" barrel. Has anyone run into issues hanging a long barrel out of a T3 action? From manufacturing logic, the tenons of the Sako's and Tikka's *should* all be similar, which would yield enough meat to support a long barrel, but just looking at the action just makes me say /hmmm/. Anyone have experience?

Re: Tikka T3 Rebarrel integrity

The T3 action will handle it better than many actions out there. If you looked at a cutaway view of the T3, there's more strength there then say a Rem 700. A lot of that is the closed bridge. While I haven't seen any numbers or FEA, I consider them to be more stout than most other factory actions. Also the tenon is 1" long which is a nice feature.

We have a test T3 that we hung a pretty large barrel from, it was about 27" and about 1" at the muzzle, tapered from 1 1/8" or whatever it is at the breech end. It shot well.

Your biggest problem will be getting the factory barrel off, We've had to cut them all off, destroying the barrel. Good luck,
Justin

Re: Tikka T3 Rebarrel integrity

Great to hear, thanks. Bummer that the barrels are tough to remove.

Really appreciate the info.