• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

tikka t3 recoil lug question

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
as we know,the T3 has an aluminum recoil lug. there are steel replacements available for not a bunch of $. my question
is; does anyone have any data,info or even best guesses on the useful life of the aluminum original? a big issue? a non issue? i would assume in a bigger caliber it might matter. my guns in question are a 308 scout and a 30/06 hunter.

When I got my t3 Deluxe in 270 win, I wondered the same thing so rather than keep wondering I just went ahead and ordered a steel one to maybe, ensure the same accuracy with each shot. JMHO

I swapped my 300 win mag one out after about 1200 rounds. It was pretty beat up on the top leading edge. I have titanium ones in all my tikka's now.

Or do as I did. When replacing the stock I had my gunsmith put in a standard lug - it can be seen on this picture

I agree... the aftermarket lug is best:

IMG_0402-1.jpg

I owned a T3 in 300WSM that after turning the lug every time accuracy degraded it was rotated (so a total of 4 surfaces) and it was toast under 1000 rds. The aftermarket drop-in steel ones will help, but they wont be as solid as what's in the picture. If you're running the stock barrel, you probably won't notice though. But if you want to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out and are going to the expense of a top shelf cut-rifled barrel.... go with a good lug.

John

thanks all. prob replace the one in the hunter. scout already done. i did want to know if people saw degradation in the aluminum lugs. now i do. these guns will remain factory stock and barrel.

Heavy calibers wear them out fairly quickly. My .223 hasn't been a problem and it has over 1k through it. So light calipers will probably be okay.