• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka T3 research

Pete Lincoln

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
What do you guys think.
?
we are looking at a T3 upgrade package.

including:
a magazine system ( made of aircraft grade alloy) ( tactical system to use AICS mags, Hunter system to use T3 mags)
a SSG type bolt handle that can be used with either left or right handed rifles
a replacement bolt shroud to get rid of the cheapo plastic part.

you think we#d get much interest ?

and if so, how much would-should the kit cost ?

regards Pete

Re: Tikka T3 research

Hey Pete,

I got a question for you.

Is it possible to make a DBM system to use 10 round AIAW double stack mags in conjunction with the Tikka T3 actions????

Steve

a lot of folks love their tikkas , yet hate the stocks look and the plastik mags, so i guess it will be a seller..

maybe you ask the same price for the magazine system as for the howa mag system...

id sell the bolt handle and the replacement bolt schroud as additional features, and cut say 10 % off when bought as package

I would say sell it around the 250 mark. The bolt handle should be of the same design as what Fortis was doing as his is an excellent design, and he should be given credit for it. Also it should be able to fit into the aftermarket stocks such as manners, but you already know that.

The most important part is you should send me the parts to test out lol.

Pete,

Great idea to tweak a Tikka with some upgrades. The single greatest improvement would be to introduce a modified T3 mag that allows feeding of longer COAL. The Tikka is one of the few factory bbl with a 1:8 twist but if you want to run 75 or 80gr Amax's you have to single feed the rifle.

Wild Dog stocks have also informed me that they now produce a stock inletted for the Tikkas. The other upgrades sound excellent but for me a modified mag would be awesome.

Rath

Hi Pete. Long time no talk. Stan here in Redding,CA.

Anyways...as per our last emails 1 1/2 years ago...I personally would be VERY interested and I have 2-3 buddies who would be interested as well...so four customers right here.

Take care,Stan

Pete,

For your T-3 kit a reasonable price point would be:

DBM AICS Compatible System - $250-300.

Bolt Handle $50-75

Bolt Shroud $25-30

Now if you could do all that for say under $400. or around US $, and (this is a biggie) offer those mods, in a stock Tikka T-3 Stainless Varmint in 260 Remington 1-8 Twist (Which those crafty Finns build & Beretta will not import, to the US) you might just sell a boat load of them, to folks here in the US....

Just a thought......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Pete,

Is it possible to make a DBM system to use 10 round AIAW double stack mags in conjunction with the Tikka T3 actions????

Steve </div></div>

Youwho Pete,

Can you answer my question or should I just ask someone else?

Steve

Steve123,

I am sure you have not seen Pete's recent post - his father passed away and he will be out of the shop for some time.

Here is the post:

Gents.
we are basicaly closed for a week or so, got some bad news just now, my Dad passed away this afternoon. we are heading back home.

Geoff is holding the fort as far as the accessories side of the operation goes, so if anyone has burning issues that can't wait please contact him.

Thanks for your understanding.
Pete

I have T3 Tactical .308 and magazines are quite a show stopper
smile.gif
. I had to manually modify it to accept 73,5mm rounds as factory max is around 72mm. There isn't much bolt clearance @73,5mm but there is still some room in front of the magazine.

For me certainly a standard stock elongated magazine steel or plastic would be very appealing if within 80€ (maybe even 10 shot mag).

i think it would be popular... and you have the potential for sales world wide as there popularity is growing very quickly!

Put me down for new Bottom metal (that fits in with little to no modifications)

Steve, without machining the action the AIAW magazine will not fit. The AICS will ( both the .308 and the 300wm will go in, but you need to shave the front of the trigger housing maybe for the 300wm, I'll know when i get back from the UK, as the LA RCS chassis prototype is on the machine now, we just need to juggle the LA 300wm mag well to get it to sit in its best position,
easiest way to do that is to make the magwel in the prototype a mm or so longer at either end and then position the mag with shims for optimum feeding, these CNC programs are ok, but there is no substitute for hands on, yes it feeds perfectly testing-

We should have an AICS T3 mag system by the IWA. as well as the none plastic firing pin shroud,
and we've put the bolt handles that i used to make for the 595 and 695, with a slight alteration to make them 100% T3 compatible back into production.

Pete

I hope this comes to market. I just this week ruled out using a SS left hand receiver for my 260 build but if this comes to market, I will have to go back to my first choice for my build if I can get ride of the plastic.

So when and where will we get these in the USA?

How would this upgrade work? Is it for factory stocks, after market stocks?

I would really like to know if this is going to happen so I can plan my Tikka build.

I would be very interested in the tactical magazine system for 300wsm. I hate the plastic mags and latch system They should run in the $100 - 150 range

Hi Pete, another Tikka owner here interested in your product upgrades. Thanks.

sorry for your loss.

I'm in for sure if you get a mag system that will work with the longer OAL for the 223! I put mine in a Manners T4 and love just about everything save for the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete,

Great idea to tweak a Tikka with some upgrades. The single greatest improvement would be to introduce a modified T3 mag that allows feeding of longer COAL. The Tikka is one of the few factory bbl with a 1:8 twist but if you want to run 75 or 80gr Amax's you have to single feed the rifle.

Wild Dog stocks have also informed me that they now produce a stock inletted for the Tikkas. The other upgrades sound excellent but for me a modified mag would be awesome.

Rath </div></div>

Take a dremel tool to the magazine rear spacer, behind the follower; (pull follower and mag spring first) then route out enough of the spacer so your 80gr ctg fits oal to the mag and Presto!

I'd be interested in your upgrade Pete. Although, I think the Euro conversion hurts us Americans pricewise. Comparable bottom metal for other receivers cost us about $225. If you added the shroud and bolt handle, $350 would be a good price I think. Also, would the bottom metal be hard to fit into most stocks? Would it need serious inletting?

I'm doing a custom T3 build right now and trying to sort out some things. One of my questions is about the recoil lug. Maybe it is a non-factor, but you might consider adding a thicker steel recoil lug to your package. Should be pretty cheap to produce.

In short, as a guy biulding a Tactical t3 right now, here are the things I've been looking for:

1. larger Bolt knob
2. better magazines (more than 5 rounds, better OAL)
3. trigger improvement or replacement
4. recoil lug, should it be replaced?
5. picatinny rail
6. shroud replacement

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue_ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
4. recoil lug, should it be replaced?
</div></div>

I would say that it depends on the caliber. I've had 2 300wm's, a 270 and a 300wsm in the T3 lite. The .270 has always shot about 3/4 moa and continues to do so after thousands of rounds.

The 300's definitely degraded in accuracy over time. The action will actually pound a dent in the recoil lug causing the action to start shifting in the stock. Once this happens there is no turning back.

I would either replace the OEM block with steel and Devcon it into place or do what I did and put on an aftermarket Rem. 700 style lug upon rebarreling, which also helps control rotation in the stock (torque) which the stock lug does nothing for. My stock 300 barrels only lasted 1500 rds., so it was fairly timely. Combine this with filling the voids in the action area with Devcon and pillar/skim bed and you'll have quite the precision rifle, even with the OEM barrrel. Or better yet, drop it into a Manners T4.

My 300wm is pretty much a ragged hole rifle at 100 yds. now.

John

Hi Pete

I think the Tikka Upgrade is long overdue, well done for doing something about it. A new Steel Magazine would be the number thing i would be interested in.

Changing the shroud is also great, i know there are some here in Australia already that offer an aluminium version.

Bolt knob conversion is also great.

My Tikka has a TacOps bolt knowb installed by another forum member here, Wild Bill:

Tikka243Bolt1.jpg

Tikka243Bolt.jpg

By the way the Tikka is now sitting in a Manners Stock.

1.replacement bolt handle with integral larger know, 1 in stainless and 1 in steel (phosphated) should be ready to view tommorow
2. Mag system using .308AICS mags and shortly there after for the long cal guys, using possible 300wm AICS mags, but to accomodate these it might mean trimming the front of the trigger block, or just milling a little notch in the front of the magwell-feed ramp, much in the same way as for a Rem700 using AICS stocks)
3. Tune the trigger, or replace, Extreem Triggers should be the port of call here i guess, they where producing the Jackson CG for the T3.
4. the factory lug locates in a slot in the action, so not possible to go wider, our RCS chassis does away with it all together and mates the flats in the action to the chassis
5. pic rail.,. allread in program.
6. shroud, we are looking at a machined shroud just now, but it would be more cost effective to cast an alloy version.,

sure the € to $ rate can sting either way. but rest assured that quality products, well made are worth whatever they cost in $ or in €

Regards Pete

Pete,
First sorry to here about your father.
Will the mag system work with the new 223 mags from AI?
Thanks
Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Pete,

Steve </div></div>

Right on Steve. Have the same exact question. Mine is in 223 caliber. Like the Tikka action. Hate the plastic mag. Also, the stock sucks.

Pete, I'm interested and would like to know pricing for anything you have ready for the T3 now. Thanks.

I'll be very much interested. Anything to replace the plastics.

The T3 makes a poor donor and dumping money into one isn't going to turn it into something it isn't.

It defines "diminishing returns".

Yeah, I went to the Roedale website, but I don't see the bolt handle. Not sure if I've figured out how to navigate the webshop properly though, so I could be missing it.

There is this: http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?info=p143_Tactical-Bolt-Knob.html

but no mention of T3. Also, I have a Manners on order, so if there was an AICS magazine bottom metal available I'd like to know the price to see if I could afford to add it to my build. Maybe Manners could inlet for it when they build the stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think.
?
we are looking at a T3 upgrade package.

including:
a magazine system ( made of aircraft grade alloy) ( tactical system to use AICS mags, Hunter system to use T3 mags)
a SSG type bolt handle that can be used with either left or right handed rifles
a replacement bolt shroud to get rid of the cheapo plastic part.

you think we#d get much interest ?

and if so, how much would-should the kit cost ?

regards Pete

</div></div>

i'll take one when there done,

i'm after a pair of CG triggers for the T3 (or another 2 stager with safety) if anyone knows of any for sale or can modify a remmington one to fit

cheers -James-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The T3 makes a poor donor and dumping money into one isn't going to turn it into something it isn't.

It defines "diminishing returns". </div></div>

So, do you troll the forum looking for threads on T3's just so you can shit on the rifle?

I would be interested in a replacement bolt handle and shroud. Not sure what "the right price" would be though.

I read that comment and immediately disregarded because he doesn't offer ANY evidence or even suggest what about a T3 is questionable. I've been around Savage, Remington and Winchesters my whole life and each has its pros and cons. But the only negative thing I can say about my T3 so far is the lack of aftermarket parts. With Roedale, Manners we have some nice components to complete a custom build with. EGW does rails. Hinterland does shrouds if you really need one. (I don't) Rumors are McMillan may be offering stocks soon. Can't imagine what he might be talking about and I really don't care unless he has something legitimate to say that I can learn from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bukowski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The T3 makes a poor donor and dumping money into one isn't going to turn it into something it isn't.

It defines "diminishing returns". </div></div>

So, do you troll the forum looking for threads on T3's just so you can shit on the rifle?

I would be interested in a replacement bolt handle and shroud. Not sure what "the right price" would be though.

</div></div>

I'm as powerless to make a T3 worse than it is,just as you are to make one "better"...though I'd happily concede that you impress easier than I.

Great time to laude any/all T3 longsuits,in accords to your esteemed impressions.

No, this is a thread started by a gunsmith looking to solicit opinions about some of his ideas. (a rare quality indeed) Would hate to see this thread hijacked because there are people who don't like T3 for some, as of yet, unmentioned reasons. I say start your own thread and flame away.

Pete knows I love him.

Humors me that facts are construed as "flames" by the oblivious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Humors me that facts are construed as "flames" by the oblivious. </div></div>

Humors me that opinions are regarded as facts by the self important...

If you have something positive to contribute to this thread you are welcome. If not.. go away, NOBODY wants you here.

John

Huh...well please share your FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of the Tikka's and what makes them such a bad rifle? And in what way are they?

Cause from purely a accuracy standpoint I have have found them to be extremely accurate rifles...in fact they have out shot almost all of the higher end rifles I own or have owned.

That includes Sako TRG-22, DTA SRS in .243 and .308, Remmy 5R's (stock and modified) Savage 12 LRPV,etc.,etc.

Are they as robust as a DTA,Sako,AI,etc.???...no...but then again I own them for hunting rifles. And for $550.00 straight out of the box...they are very heard to beat. Triggers are very good and adjustable...actions are smooth as silk...and again...out of the three I have owned...plus my two buddies who have them...all five of them are sub 1/2" five shot group at 100 yards shooting rifles...oh...and thats with factory ammo.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OilyOwl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Humors me that facts are construed as "flames" by the oblivious. </div></div>

Humors me that opinions are regarded as facts by the self important...

If you have something positive to contribute to this thread you are welcome. If not.. go away, NOBODY wants you here.

John </div></div>

There is nothing positive in the T3's regard,which continues to be the salient point.

I'm not enthralled with plastic,irregardless of price point. That whether it the stock,bottom or mag,if only for starters.

$550 is a pretty expensive donor.

And who didn't see this coming?!!?: "all five of them are sub 1/2" five shot group at 100 yards shooting rifles...oh...and thats with factory ammo."

My trouble is,that I live in reality.

Stan,
While the Tikkas do shoot. You are arguing with a brick wall...this OilyOwl is in reality "Nobody"

i'm sort of glad this sort of gauntlet flinging has surfaced.....now we get to see some real world pictures from places most can only dream about....

buttered popcorn for me.

prolly no plastic ANYWHERE for several zipcodes.....grin!!

Oddly enough,there isn't a .5" cluster in the lot. Pardon my inability to feign suprise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stan,
While the Tikkas do shoot. You are arguing with a brick wall...this OilyOwl is in reality "Nobody" </div></div>

In fairness,I do shoot a bit.

I do it because I love it and money taints everything.

while i do agree that money taints alot of things, i do it for the love of it as well. Welcome back i guess