• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Thanks! I wanted to keep the plastic bottom metal to keep weight down haha. Probably going to get one of the Hells Canyon Armory magazines.
At $98 with shipping for one mag they can keep em...
I'll go be poor with my plastic mags.
They work just fine with my 6.5 PRC (y)

Does anyone know the weight of a 24" CTR barrel? I'm curious what kind of weight savings you get with that Proof Carbon

After what seemed like a burst of activity to bring Tikka parts to the market...it seems to have slowed down. Or is it just me? I thought maybe we'd see more stock makers, more pre-fits, someone else with scope rings for the integral rail, etc.

Maybe the demand still is there? Thoughts?
Consider that Shot Show starts next Tuesday. Wait til then.

What I want to see is actually being able to order anything from the https://choose.tikka.fi/usa website. Lefty stainless CTR with adjustable stock anyone?

After what seemed like a burst of activity to bring Tikka parts to the market...it seems to have slowed down. Or is it just me? I thought maybe we'd see more stock makers, more pre-fits, someone else with scope rings for the integral rail, etc.

Maybe the demand still is there? Thoughts?
I think the demand is still there. I'm not sure how much more availability of items there could be. You can get most (or at least a majority) of custom stocks inletted for a Tikka. The major trigger makers have Tikka triggers which is great considering that the factory trigger is about as good as custom (with the aftermarket spring); most barrel makers offer a Tikka prefit option, etc.

I'm not sure that you will ever get a lot of options for rings for the integral rail as it isn't (IMHO) a better option than a good old picatinny rail. If you are going to use the integral lug in the rifle on a scope rail with built in rings, you are forced to have a predetermined ring spacing as well as limited scope movement fore and aft to adjust eye relief. If you want to change scope tube diameter, ring height, etc., you're stuck with changing out the whole unit (expensive). A picatinny rail with recoil lug, in your chosen MOA cant combined with quality rings is bulletproof and very customizable. Hard to beat that.

Remington style action platforms have a many decade head start on Tikka and there are a lot of people that don't explore other options once they have something that works for them. Given that, I'm really happy with the Tikka aftermarket support out there. Just my 2 cents....

Reactions: 260284 and Stooxie
Has anyone installed a proof prefit onto their t3x? Do you really just torque it down your g2g? I can't find any info on installing Tikka barrels
Haven't personally done it but researched it in advance of a prefit purchase. Everything that I've heard from manufacturers (proof included) and Hide members is, yes, you just torque it down and go as Tikka actions are very consistant. That being said, I would certainly spend the extra bucks on a no go gauge to confirm that you're not the one in 10,000 that has an out of spec action.

Reactions: tam4511
I think the demand is still there. I'm not sure how much more availability of items there could be. You can get most (or at least a majority) of custom stocks inletted for a Tikka. The major trigger makers have Tikka triggers which is great considering that the factory trigger is about as good as custom (with the aftermarket spring); most barrel makers offer a Tikka prefit option, etc.

Remington style action platforms have a many decade head start on Tikka and there are a lot of people that don't explore other options once they have something that works for them. Given that, I'm really happy with the Tikka aftermarket support out there. Just my 2 cents....

I agree. I read that BHW/Columbia River Arms is now making Tikka barrels, although they don't say so on their website. I think Tikka is definitely gaining steam. If there is any fly in the ointment it's that it's not a US company and many would prefer to buy American. Aside from that, the past few years has seen a tremendous uptick in the Tikka aftermarket. I haven't seen anyone dropping out.

-Stooxie

Recon the Tikka aftermarket industry will also welcome future T3X clone actions as the Sako company possibly seems to struggle with demand. We'll see what the shot show brings....
edi

Reactions: Tunnuh
Haven't personally done it but researched it in advance of a prefit purchase. Everything that I've heard from manufacturers (proof included) and Hide members is, yes, you just torque it down and go as Tikka actions are very consistant. That being said, I would certainly spend the extra bucks on a no go gauge to confirm that you're not the one in 10,000 that has an out of spec action.

got to check them a go/no-go gauge. They aren’t all exactly the same. Most are fine but some may be a little tight or loose. Better to be safe than sorry!

IMG_20200115_180856_01.jpg

Start of my build! Sold my Gen 1 Sendero in 7mm and got this T3X in 7mag. Also changed from RH rifle to left. (I'm right handed but legally blind in my right eye so shoot everything left handed)

Here she is. I'll get some better pics soon. Tikka T3 action, stock bottom metal
Proof prefit 6.5 PRC, 24"
Talley lightweight lows (just barely clear)
Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18
Iota Kremlin stock

Haven't had a chance to get out and shoot yet, hopefully this weekend. I had ordered a VX5HD for this but my wife excercised executive privelidge on that.

How much does it weigh as it sits?

Has anyone installed a proof prefit onto their t3x? Do you really just torque it down your g2g? I can't find any info on installing Tikka barrels

I replaced my factory Tikka barrel with a Patriot Valley Arms m24 6.5CM prefit last year. I sent it to Southern Indiana Precision to swap simply because I couldn't find a Tikka action wrench online. But yes, essentially you torque it down and check headspace just like an AR barrel.

I read that factory Tikka barrels are very difficult to remove so sending it to a gunsmith was a no brainer. Isaac removed my barrel and installed the PVA and also replaced the factory screws on my top rail for $50.

What more would you be looking for? They are supported by just about every major stock and chassis maker. Plenty of triggers as well.

The chassis market is flush with quality stuff for the T3, but the traditional/hunter market is where things are slim.

Ag Composites makes a huge line of stocks, they only inlet two for Tikka.
Grayboe, after multiple teasers, don't inlet any for Tikka.

For a guy looking to do a hunting style stock, current options include:

1) McMillan. Pay and wait for custom barrel channel, or find a factory fit in stock.
2) Manners. Pay and wait. Keep waiting, Wait some more. Then wait.
3) Bell and Carlson. IMO, no upgrade from factory.

I don't disagree that the Rem 700 has a long jump on the Tikka, it just seems that there is a slower market for the hunting style stocks.

It also boggles my mind that someone hasn't come out with a BDL Tikka bottom metal that fits the factory footprint, but allows someone to go hinged floor plate, spring, and follower. I'm also surprised no one is competing with the CTR magazines. Seems like a shorter, plastic version would be awesome. I hunt exclusively with my CTR, and I'd love a CTR Shorty Mag that only takes 3 to 5 rounds and fits more flush to the bottom of the stock.

Some of these are individual wishes, I suppose. Looking forward to see what happens at SHOT.

Reactions: wade2big
The chassis market is flush with quality stuff for the T3, but the traditional/hunter market is where things are slim.

1) McMillan. Pay and wait for custom barrel channel, or find a factory fit in stock.

I don't disagree that the Rem 700 has a long jump on the Tikka, it just seems that there is a slower market for the hunting style stocks.

It also boggles my mind that someone hasn't come out with a BDL Tikka bottom metal that fits the factory footprint, but allows someone to go hinged floor plate, spring, and follower. I'm also surprised no one is competing with the CTR magazines. Seems like a shorter, plastic version would be awesome. I hunt exclusively with my CTR, and I'd love a CTR Shorty Mag that only takes 3 to 5 rounds and fits more flush to the bottom of the stock.

Some of these are individual wishes, I suppose. Looking forward to see what happens at SHOT.

I really like the GGS Ranger for a hunting stock for my 20" CTR. Getting a medium palma cut down to 18" to replace the 20" barrel. My son has the same stock on his T3 Lite in 270. You do have to wait 6 weeks, but it is well worth it.

Attachments

• 1-15-20 Phone Pics 2415.jpg
    1-15-20 Phone Pics 2415.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 1-15-20 Phone Pics 2516.jpg
    1-15-20 Phone Pics 2516.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 1-15-20 Phone Pics 2508.jpg
    1-15-20 Phone Pics 2508.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Black Bart

PSE Composites has a dealer/distributor in USA, for their carbon fiber stocks.

Reactions: ejg

In my opinion, a major factor is that the rifle is so good as it comes out of the box. Most of us on the hide like to screw around with our rifles and make them all that they can be but we are in the minority of hunters. The majority of hunters just buy a rifle and has the store that they bought it at put on a $200-500 scope and they go shoot. In all honestly, most of us hunters on the Hide could also buy a stock Tikka and go kill everything that we need to. They are just that good out of the box. We piss around with them because we want to not because we need to to make them shoot good enough to hunt with. So where I'm going is that even though many on the Hide thinks they need to have every aftermarket product, we are in the minority. The majority don't need or want aftermarket stuff and as a result, there isn't an extremely large market for it. If there isn't significant money to be made, companies aren't going to build a product. So....... We need to get more people shooting Tikkas!

I replaced my factory Tikka barrel with a Patriot Valley Arms m24 6.5CM prefit last year. I sent it to Southern Indiana Precision to swap simply because I couldn't find a Tikka action wrench online. But yes, essentially you torque it down and check headspace just like an AR barrel.

I read that factory Tikka barrels are very difficult to remove so sending it to a gunsmith was a no brainer. Isaac removed my barrel and installed the PVA and also replaced the factory screws on my top rail for $50.
Are the factory screws prone to issues?

In my opinion, a major factor is that the rifle is so good as it comes out of the box.

Agree - but the caveats to that are in the twist rates - fine for 223 (plus the special edition 22-250 in 1:8) and 6.5, but traditional slower twists on everything else. With so many of us enjoying heavier bullets for long range shooting, hopefully that will change soon, especially in 6mm, 7mm, and 30cal.

Are the factory screws prone to issues?

I believe the Tikka actions are assembled by pressure fitting to extremely tight tolerances so often times you'll hear guys damaging actions or screws trying to get them off. Lots of guys use heat guns to loosen up parts prior to wrenching.

In my case, since the barrel was 'shot out' (even though it shot its best group to date the weekend before) the gunsmith made a relief cut in the barrel and it popped right off.

I believe the Tikka actions are assembled by pressure fitting to extremely tight tolerances so often times you'll hear guys damaging actions or screws trying to get them off. Lots of guys use heat guns to loosen up parts prior to wrenching.

In my case, since the barrel was 'shot out' (even though it shot its best group to date the weekend before) the gunsmith made a relief cut in the barrel and it popped right off.
Huh? Pressure fitting?
Barrels are threaded. Lots of guys in this thread have removed barrels themselves with out relief cuts. It isnt slow torque that works for them. It is using a hammer on a wrench to break them free.

Top rails are put on with some sort of adhesive that is easier to remove with heat. Clothes iron works great. There is nothing wrong with the screws at all.

Reactions: coltm4 and Stooxie
Huh? Pressure fitting?
Barrels are threaded. Lots of guys in this thread have removed barrels themselves with out relief cuts. It isnt slow torque that works for them. It is using a hammer on a wrench to break them free.

Top rails are put on with some sort of adhesive that is easier to remove with heat. Clothes iron works great. There is nothing wrong with the screws at all.

I'm sure you are right. I'm no gunsmith, I just shoot. Just attempted to echo what I read a while back, however I probably just played telephone lol ?

Reactions: LeftyJason
Got to shooting yesterday. Three hand loads to test after zeroing with factory. View attachment 7214817First load i put through it 39.5 gr imr 4064 175gr smk at 2.220. Group is .400”View attachment 7214819second load, 40.0 gr imr 4064, 175gr smk, 2.220. group is .622”View attachment 7214828last one I made is 41.0 gr of imr 4064, 175gr smk at 2.220. Group is .720”View attachment 7214835
Well, the load it shoots best is going 2275fps . I might change the barrel.

I see what you are saying. There are manners stocks that can be bought inletted for tikkas at retailers. Now whether its the one you want is the question.

I would like an aluminum bdl hinged floor plate for my tikka. Beyond that, I like the factory T3x lite and ctr stocks for carry rifles. They are light and plenty stiff.

Just did a quick check on what kinda jump i will have at mag length with my new T3X in 7mm. .098 is as close to the lands as I can get with 162g ELDM's. That's very disappointing. I was hoping to atleast get it as close as .020

Well, it looks like the .223 T3 is going to be a shooter. I took it to the range at lunch time today and put 25 rounds down the bore.
The cheap federal 55 grain 5.56 ammo on stripper clips wasn’t impressive, but the FGMM with 69 grain SMK’s gave it a sweet tooth.

Rounds 16 thru 20 down the tube
9F42CFB0-916B-42B4-9E49-12BE4D53381D.jpeg

The group is under 3/4 MOA and would have been under 1/2 MOA if I hadn’t pulled the shot high. With a little load development and a better scope, who knows, this thing might shoot.

PSE Composites has a dealer/distributor in USA, for their carbon fiber stocks.

Thanks,
if there is any issue just contact us directly.
Heym is just introducing the SR 30 to the US with the E-Lite carbon stock and carbon barrel fitted.
We supply about 90% or our T3 stocks with factory bedding, one of the great features of the T3/T3X/T1X.
edi

Thanks,
if there is any issue just contact us directly.
Heym is just introducing the SR 30 to the US with the E-Lite carbon stock and carbon barrel fitted.
We supply about 90% or our T3 stocks with factory bedding, one of the great features of the T3/T3X/T1X.
edi
What's the cost in USA?

Finally got the CTR all set up and ready to go.
looks to be quite the shooter with factory 140 ELDM. Liking the Ares ETR and am ready to stretch its legs a bit now.

Attachments

• 52298094-F47B-4C7F-89A4-D3E82737D6C5.jpeg
    52298094-F47B-4C7F-89A4-D3E82737D6C5.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 4676015A-0DF2-4F2E-943F-A591B71BCC87.jpeg
    4676015A-0DF2-4F2E-943F-A591B71BCC87.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 174
  • BE55F569-BA81-4591-ADCA-8F6265C8931F.jpeg
    BE55F569-BA81-4591-ADCA-8F6265C8931F.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 120
@CHILL52

My CTR does the same with the 140 ELDM. Even after I chopped it down to 18", it still hammers em home.

I really need to get around to buying a case of that ammo.

The CTR is a fantastic platform.

@CHILL52

My CTR does the same with the 140 ELDM. Even after I chopped it down to 18", it still hammers em home.

I really need to get around to buying a case of that ammo.

The CTR is a fantastic platform.

I was @ targetsports earlier and if I'm not mistaken, I think I saw that they had 140 ELDM in stock at a decent price. Free shipping too when you purchase 200 rounds or more...

Thank you for the head's up!

TargetSports and OutdoorLimited are where i've found the best prices as well.
Occasionally they'll release a coupon code as well which makes it an even better deal.

Reactions: stello1001
Should I cerakote the muzzle brake to match the barrel? Or maybe coat it a different color? What are your likings?

Attachments

• 20200118_160234.jpg
    20200118_160234.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 83
Do you guys like more factory Tikka or Custom?

I really like that there is so many option for Tikka now days.

Back in 2010, there was not many chassis manufacturer for Tikka, now there is so many that i dont even know the count.

Here´s my custom rig and maybe the best precision Tikka from factory outfit.

Im those guys who strip my rigs a part straight when it comes to factory, and start thinking how i could modify it to make it better, or make it look what i want it to look.

Ordinary is not for me, nothing wrong in that, i just like mine shaken and stirred :D

4.JPG

I had Ruger prp for about 1 ammo box, and i sold it.

I personally hated that rear stock, and the action is not even close to the smoothness of Tikka action.

If i would need to find something to change on TAC, i might put Magpul PRS stock for it, but it´ not must because that TAC rear stock is very good to shoot, maybe bit front weighted.

What comes on the look of Ruger and Tikka, i dont see that Ruger any sexier, but matter of taste is that is very hard to argue.

Some one likes daugter, some on mother, third one might like them both :D

Copy-of-F01A5905-660x440.jpg

Reactions: reubenski
When you guys were discussing hunting stocks for a Tikka t3, I noticed that no one ever mentioned the GRS Bifrost. I haven't ever finished rebuilding my Tac A1 with it and still don't know if it is the direction I take. It sure has been reviewed as a more traditional non-chassis stock that is capable of good accuracy.

Reactions: Billiam1211
on a sidenote I have the edge for a TIKKA T3 X in 223. The stupid reason is that I have 2500 rounds of 223 that I don’t use as I have switched up my AR platform to all 556, plus I would love to put my Yankee Hill machine Turbo CAN on the end of it and just have a fun little cheap bolt gun. And maybe whack some Coyotes. Opinions?

might be the best cheap little bolt gun you could pick up. Make sure it’s an 8 twist. Been very happy with mine
E21420B7-F6BB-4CD3-9F91-119B8F11DAE5.jpeg

My Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 continues to impress. Target from yesterdays 100-200y match, 2@100, 2@200 10 rds each shot 400-36x with my crappy old right eye. $5 dollar trigger spring and touched the firing pin cocking piece face with a ceramic stone.

i-23Pp25c-M.png

i-HTSXNxP-M.jpg