• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Anyone using the YO Dave trigger spring? If so, how is it?
I was using it for about two years. It is a big improvement over factory trigger spring but after Timney released the Tikka two stage trigger I was on that like flies on shit. I’m a sucker for two stage triggers.
38152555-F425-4086-9482-8C53CED7AC83.jpeg
i
Tikka Action Carbon six carbon barrel chambered in 300win mag 5port beast brake Mcmillian game hunter edge Timney two stage trigger and nightforce NX8 4-30x50mm scope my favorite hunting rig.

Does it shoot any better than the original barrel

I'll try to keep you posted, just got it 2 days ago; but so far so good.

20200306_172726.jpg

Was gonna run 130Bergers in it, but tried 120Scenar-Ls and kinda like how they shoot, groups are all sub-.75 moa.

The original barrel was actually 2 barrels ago, in 260Rem, and it was a good barrel as well.

If i had to guess, I'd say this action has around 5k+ live rounds and probably over double that in dry-fires.

I was using it for about two years. It is a big improvement over factory trigger spring but after Timney released the Tikka two stage trigger I was on that like flies on shit. I’m a sucker for two stage triggers.View attachment 7267184i
Tikka Action Carbon six carbon barrel chambered in 300win mag 5port beast brake Mcmillian game hunter edge Timney two stage trigger and nightforce NX8 4-30x50mm scope my favorite hunting rig.

Awesome setup.
What does that hunting rig weigh in at?

I looked for one as well but don’t see a model for an iPhone.
They might not be able to ship right now because of virus but this is what you can keep an eye on....

Last edited:
Spiral fluted barrel is not accurate.
Tikka barrels are.
If you send them in to a professional gunsmith, they will be and you get the lighter gun, but still the accuracy pin point!!!
My CTR has not lost the accuracy, so dont be affraid to do fluting in to your barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krazy_jim
Reactions: viking78
Considering a tikka action for my next build. Anything I’m leaving on the table with a tikka vs a bighorn?

Considering a tikka action for my next build. Anything I’m leaving on the table with a tikka vs a bighorn?
Im interested in this as well as I'm In the same spot....
Tikkas already shoot so well....
I wonder if it was best to leave them be and start with an origin or tl3........

I wonder if it was best to leave them be and start with an origin or tl3........

Same here. Looking at Bighorn or Stiller for a 300 PRC but wish I could start with a Tikka.

Reactions: PR3AK
Figure if I start with a New tikka rifle for $525 I can d sell off the barrel and stock for $200-300.

Pulled a scope of the win mag just to make sure the latest was also a shooter, it was windy as hell but it’s a Tikka so not sure I expected any less... top group is Hornady bottom is Federal

ohhh and happy 3.08. 2020

Attachments

• AF8E1D7C-4B8E-4DBE-9F47-18C553C5AE00.jpeg
    AF8E1D7C-4B8E-4DBE-9F47-18C553C5AE00.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 73233C28-7069-4669-8174-5DD57E525FEF.jpeg
    73233C28-7069-4669-8174-5DD57E525FEF.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 4BF5EB57-0948-4C31-A0AB-A5B689A7E774.jpeg
    4BF5EB57-0948-4C31-A0AB-A5B689A7E774.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: PR3AK and DROWN
Hey guys - I have a T3x that I need a new barrel on. It's a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel and it's already pre-fit and ready to be threaded on. Who does everyone recommend for a re-barrel service?

Hey guys - I have a T3x that I need a new barrel on. It's a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel and it's already pre-fit and ready to be threaded on. Who does everyone recommend for a re-barrel service?
Keystone accuracy is having a sale, not CF barrels though

Loose magazine:

I have tried searching but I can only find user's issues with CTR magazines. What about anyone having issues with the plastic stock single stack 5 round mags? I am trying to get them to work in a GRS Bifrost stock. The front clicks in securely but that little cheap mag spring doesn't have anywhere to grab on the back of the mag to keep it in place. I can sometimes get the first round to be picked up by the bolt but then the mag is pushed down enough that it is a no go on the following rounds. I really don't want to be always gripping the stock/mag to keep upward pressure applied. Thanks for any forthcoming help!

Here’s mine. It’s shooting pretty good too.

Tikka T3x in a Cadex Comp Lite chassis.
S&B PMII
Spuhr IDSM
Murphy Precision 20 MOA Titanium Base
Dead Air Brake
SilencerCo Omega w/ Dead Air Kymo
Atlas Bipod
Sterk Swept Ball bolt handle

Attachments

• EE6CE4B0-CABB-41F7-AC34-9C300B8B28E3.jpeg
    EE6CE4B0-CABB-41F7-AC34-9C300B8B28E3.jpeg
    812.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 19F12A03-F605-4C5F-95AD-053186268C5E.jpeg
    19F12A03-F605-4C5F-95AD-053186268C5E.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 10321528-3A3C-4665-8298-D2E851FCA822.jpeg
    10321528-3A3C-4665-8298-D2E851FCA822.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 137
  • AF61E679-93DF-4ACC-80EE-1432C9F0C879.jpeg
    AF61E679-93DF-4ACC-80EE-1432C9F0C879.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 658C81A6-1F41-4CC1-B826-C9E936E8B6B6.jpeg
    658C81A6-1F41-4CC1-B826-C9E936E8B6B6.jpeg
    670.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 76305F99-7661-4A05-8E2A-873A85BFBF91.jpeg
    76305F99-7661-4A05-8E2A-873A85BFBF91.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 127
Same here. Looking at Bighorn or Stiller for a 300 PRC but wish I could start with a Tikka.

Well I have a 300wsm t3x that I got for a very decent price used....

I thought about building it in 300 prc....which proof does do a prefit for tikkas in this caliber so it has to be possible.

If not I figured the magnum bolt face would be great for 6.5 prc but I couldn't justify it since I have a ctr in 6.5 cm

But after reading about how well the 300 wsm preforms (shooter excluded hahaha)

I'm thinking I'll crawl into my bolt gun building adventure....
First rebarrel a tikka...... then since I will have tools available...

I build off an origin or t3l (also undecided between the two lol)

Although I do wish I could shoot it as well as my 6.5..... reallly pisses me off to eat humble pie lol......
And my first 2 range outings with the wsm where not up to par(over an inch)

Last edited:
Reactions: DROWN
Well I have a 300wsm t3x that I got for a very decent price used....

I thought about building it in 300 prc....which proof does do a prefit for tikkas in this caliber so it has to be possible.

I build off an origin or t3l (also undecided between the two lol)

If you find any information how or what magazine and BDM allows it I am all ears. Doesn't seem possible from what I've seen.

Origin has more Tikka like swept back bolt handle. That would be my first choice. Also comes with 20 MOA rail.

Isn't the nosler rounds longer then the 300 prc? I know people have done nosler tikkas.

I thought mountain tactical did cip length mags.?. No hands on experience though.

That is also why I'm looking at the origin. For just ease of building the longer action and having Remmy 700 footprint
As the tikka could be a 6.5prc and the origin could be the 300prc.

Short Action Customs or Long Rifles Inc are some of the best in the business. LRI has a pretty quick turnaround time because a lot of their stuff is automated.

Reactions: ramsfan6239
I actually had a Bighorn ordered and then had some personal (expensive) stuff come up and canceled the order. Decided to customize the Tikka I already had and don't regret it a bit. The only advantage I can see with the Bighorn is the ability to swap bolt heads for a different cartridge diameters. Otherwise, the prefit swappable barrels , aftermarket stocks, triggers, accuracy, etc. you can get with the Tikka along with the ability to load long cartridge OAL and customize the bolt handle to your personal preference.

Otherwise, the prefit swappable barrels , aftermarket stocks, triggers, accuracy, etc. you can get with the Tikka along with the ability to load long cartridge OAL and customize the bolt handle to your personal preference.
Details on which action, bottom metal & magazine combination allows for longer OAL?

Isn't the nosler rounds longer then the 300 prc? I know people have done nosler tikkas.
No,The noslers 26-28-30-33 come in at 3.34 Saami spec pretty much same as the 300 and 7 mags so they work in the Tikkas.
The 300 PRC is listed as 3.7 in Saami specs.
Maybe someone else has seen it done but so far I have not seen anyone build one mag fed for Tikka.
You could always single feed it if you really want to go that route....

No,The noslers 26-28-30-33 come in at 3.34 Saami spec pretty much same as the 300 and 7 mags so they work in the Tikkas.
The 300 PRC is listed as 3.7 in Saami specs.
Maybe someone else has seen it done but so far I have not seen anyone build one mag fed for Tikka.
You could always single feed it if you really want to go that route....
Gotcha

Thanks....
But now I'm curious as to how the 300prc tikka prefit that proof sells works?

Does it require the mdt mod to the front of the trigger.? Like MDT shows.

You could most likely do a little milling to fit 300 PRC in, the photo below is a factory 225 ELD-M. With a notch in the feed ramp, a bit of a trim at the rear of the port and a skim off the front of the trigger you'd get pretty close to feeding it from a CIP mag. You would most likely have to remove the bolt to extract a loaded round though. I'm just waiting for a used LH action/rifle to turn up to have a play. I don't know what's available for a DBM to run the CIP mags though, I was just going to make a chassis to suit.

1583873419145.png

Reactions: viking78 and PR3AK
You could most likely do a little milling to fit 300 PRC in, the photo below is a factory 225 ELD-M. With a notch in the feed ramp, a bit of a trim at the rear of the port and a skim off the front of the trigger you'd get pretty close to feeding it from a CIP mag. You would most likely have to remove the bolt to extract a loaded round though. I'm just waiting for a used LH action/rifle to turn up to have a play. I don't know what's available for a DBM to run the CIP mags though, I was just going to make a chassis to suit.

View attachment 7270130
Lefty Tikkas don't come up here often at all.

Lefty Tikkas don't come up here often at all.
They're definitely not as common as a RH one. I built a 6BR on one a while back and it's such a nice action to use without having to fix anything, you can understand why they're popular. The 300 PRC is a stretching it a little but it's only a toy, I reckon it would be an interesting project.

1583881000776.png

Thanks! I've sold plenty in the past, it's a matter now of fitting them in with work and other projects, the mill has been pretty idle the past couple of years. Maybe this year is time to dust off the cobwebs. The AT skins work much better without the bolt handle cutout and not wrapping together underneath, they're also more readily available. There are that many decent chassis available now that these are more of a nostalgia thing, I just think the AI's are a cool looking rifle but can't justify the cost of one as a toy.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Loose magazine:

No one has this issue? Should I post elsewhere?

I have tried searching but I can only find user's issues with CTR magazines. What about anyone having issues with the plastic stock single stack 5 round mags? I am trying to get them to work in a GRS Bifrost stock. The front clicks in securely but that little cheap mag spring doesn't have anywhere to grab on the back of the mag to keep it in place. I can sometimes get the first round to be picked up by the bolt but then the mag is pushed down enough that it is a no go on the following rounds. I really don't want to be always gripping the stock/mag to keep upward pressure applied. Thanks for any forthcoming help!

Loose magazine:

It sounds to me like you don't have your action fully seated on the recoil lug and it's easy to do.
You might think it's seated and actually be sitting on top of it which would raise the action off the magazine.
Be sure when you get it lined up to rock your action back and forth till you feel it slip down over the lug.

If your sure it's seated the only other thing would be to bend the clip out slightly and gently and maybe sand the back of the mag to give it some more grip on the clip....

Has anyone had a 18" 223rem Tikka CTR?
I went loco and cut the barrel to 18", it as 24".
Because it is my son gun, and hi is only 11 years old, try to make it lighter.
Next step is to do straight fluting to the barrel and new 5/8x24 threading to the barrel.
It looks quite cool in 18":p.'

Reactions: reubenski
It sounds to me like you don't have your action fully seated on the recoil lug and it's easy to do.
You might think it's seated and actually be sitting on top of it which would raise the action off the magazine.
Be sure when you get it lined up to rock your action back and forth till you feel it slip down over the lug.

If your sure it's seated the only other thing would be to bend the clip out slightly and gently and maybe sand the back of the mag to give it some more grip on the clip....
Keystone accuracy is having a sale, not CF barrels though
I'm not sure what Tikka model you started with so I will throw this out there in addition to the above. If you started with a ctr and went to plastic mag, you may not have the clip referenced above and will need to get one. That's what it sounds like may be going on.

Reactions: kabarNC
Has anyone had a 18" 223rem Tikka CTR?
I went loco and cut the barrel to 18", it as 24".
Because it is my son gun, and hi is only 11 years old, try to make it lighter.
Next step is to do straight fluting to the barrel and new 5/8x24 threading to the barrel.
It looks quite cool in 18":p.'

LOL!

I´m sure cutting off 6" from the barrel made it lighter though!
(y)

I have shot 18" AR-15 on to a 600-meters, so i dont think that barrel on bolt action is ruin, or do you

No, not at all.

As the standard barrel is not the thickest one, I guess accuracy would either get better than worse.

I´ve shot the StGw90 out to 600 meters as well, prone unsuported with iron sights.
Worked pretty well also.

Reactions: viking78