Tikka T3 Thread

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Fine let's solve this with pictures. Who has an older original T3 and who has a confirmed T3X? Take the barreled action out and take pictures of the bottom of the action.

Found this pic from @dannySH in a different thread. Standard t3x left and a ctr on the right (guessing t3x ctr).
    View attachment 7658912
    I have a T3 CTR and a T3 Lite that was a 270 that I used for a switchbarrel match rifle build. Both actions are the same on the bottom like the two above. The CTR even had the magazine retainer clip on the trigger screw that is used with the plastic single stack magazines.

Greendarts

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jul 3, 2020
    My recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 223 (8"). I am not a fan of the camo stock though.

IMG.jpg

CaptArab

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Aug 3, 2020
    Update from Grayboe, they “weren’t happy in QC with how a rifle bolted into it was feeding. We are re-machining it and hope to get it out by the end of the month.”

this is their first go at a Tikka version of the Phoenix, so I’m glad they’re taking their time and not sending me a pile of shit.
    Any updates on the phoenix?
    Their 20% off sale is calling my name for my crossover Tikka.

Reactions: YotaEer

YotaEer

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Nov 3, 2019
    Pittsburgh
    Any updates on the phoenix?
    Their 20% off sale is calling my name for my crossover Tikka.

i like its features and ergonomics. Haven’t seen any difference in accuracy as compared to a McMillan or Bravo. I’ll order another for my T1x

my only thing is that they recommended 45 in/lb but my rifle feeds better and magazine is more secure with 35 in/lbs

Epsilon

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 18, 2020
    Took the T3x lite/oryx in 308 out to 1080 yards today. Was a good learning experience. Shooting at the 900 yard targets it was practically a laser, if I did my part I got a hit. 1080 was a whole other ballgame. Calculator was off significantly from real world and the accuracy just wasn't there. I believe it was because the rounds were going transonic just past 900 yards and causing the issues I was having. Still a great trip! Going to bring out the 6.5CM next time.

Reactions: stello1001

fullsemiauto556

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 1, 2021
    IN
    I hope some of you Tikka gurus can help point me in the right direction. I'm kicking around the idea of a Tikka in .223 rem, but getting lost on which model rifle to purchase for a build.

- goal is shooting for groups from bench/prone to 300 yards normally, with possible 750 yards 1-2 times per year
    - .223 rem
    - 1/7 or 1/8 twist (currently have 69gr, 75gr, 77gr ammo in inventory)
    - threaded 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 for a suppressor ( I have suppressors for either thread )
    - would like to use in a KRG Bravo stock/chassis with the $40 MDT AICS pattern mags
    - not overly concerned about barrel length, I'm currently using a Noveske 18" SPR for precision work, so maybe a 20"

Kinda seems like I should be looking at the CTR or a Varmint model? Tikka's website is a struggle for me to try and navigate. And I kept finding 18x1 threaded barrels?

Appreciate any insight. Again, just kicking an idea around. I shoot my aforementioned Noveske well, sub-moa with good ammo and when I "do my part", but I'm getting the bolt action bug really bad lately.

Last edited:

CamoWhamo

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2020
    If you're going to put it in a chassis and use AICS mags then getting a CTR is pointless because you'll be replacing those parts which make a CTR different to any standard tikka.
    The Varmint will have a heavier barrel than a CTR. The standard varmint doesn't have a muzzle thread but can be ordered with either a metric or imperial thread. Or it's a relatively cheap and easy job to get a gunsmith to do for you.
    You could probably buy a Varmint and pay a smith to thread the muzzle (and shorten if you like) and still be under the cost of a CTR.

Palo

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 24, 2020
    Does anyone know if a krg midas 2 stage trigger will fit into a tikka ctr without any modifications

rothgyr

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 12, 2018
    UTAH (UT)
    tikkas.jpg

Got my T1X into a bravo at last, and swapped the stock with an X-Ray stock so I can have matching ergos across all my rifles.

I modded the W3 to take the CTR mags and it's feeding so much smoother than with the AICS mags.

Bottom rifle is a CTR that I'll be switching out for a trainer rifle in 6.5 Timberwolf (Norma Dasher necked up to 6.5) once it's back from the Smith.

fullsemiauto556

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 1, 2021
    IN

fullsemiauto556

I just pondered this myself and I got the Varmint model. I won't worry about muzzle threading, but you could fix that easily.
    Sure sounds like a Varmint is the way to go then. I read most of the thread on here the other day about removing the barrel being a PITA, so that has me a little concerned. I could probably handle it, if not, I'm sure the gunsmith I'd use for the barrel threading could.

Appreciate the info from everyone.

YotaEer

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Nov 3, 2019
    Pittsburgh
    I believe they got their molds figured out for Tikka DBM now since the (+0.100) note on the inlet drop-down is gone. Gonna be sweet

interesting.

I can confirm that there is .1" of bottom metal showing below the stock on mine. This is just on the trigger guard side of the metal, the front of the metal closest to the muzzle end is flush.

I have one of the first phoenix made for the CTR

jLorenzo

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    I am going to grab a Varmint in 223. Which magazine option has the most space for COAL? I want to put the gun in a Bravo but Im not sure on the magazine options for this setup. Is there another chassis that takes a mag with longer COAL than what is available for the Bravo?

Wiscat

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2017
    11739684-1842-4DC7-9FD0-6D82D99B742C.jpeg
    FA76C425-E2E7-49A1-95F7-7CA6C4E40BBF.jpeg

Haven’t been behind a bolt gun since last November. Nice to see the 260 is still driving tacks. LHT 3-15x50 zeroed up in 5rds. The 3-15x44 that was on it is going to end up on my 300 when it gets home from LRI.

Last edited:

fullsemiauto556

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 1, 2021
    IN
    I hope some of you Tikka gurus can help point me in the right direction. I'm kicking around the idea of a Tikka in .223 rem, but getting lost on which model rifle to purchase for a build.

- goal is shooting for groups from bench/prone to 300 yards normally, with possible 750 yards 1-2 times per year
    - .223 rem
    - 1/7 or 1/8 twist (currently have 69gr, 75gr, 77gr ammo in inventory)
    - threaded 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 for a suppressor ( I have suppressors for either thread )
    - would like to use in a KRG Bravo stock/chassis with the $40 MDT AICS pattern mags
    - not overly concerned about barrel length, I'm currently using a Noveske 18" SPR for precision work, so maybe a 20"

Kinda seems like I should be looking at the CTR or a Varmint model? Tikka's website is a struggle for me to try and navigate. And I kept finding 18x1 threaded barrels?

Appreciate any insight. Again, just kicking an idea around. I shoot my aforementioned Noveske well, sub-moa with good ammo and when I "do my part", but I'm getting the bolt action bug really bad lately.
    If you're going to put it in a chassis and use AICS mags then getting a CTR is pointless because you'll be replacing those parts which make a CTR different to any standard tikka.
    The Varmint will have a heavier barrel than a CTR. The standard varmint doesn't have a muzzle thread but can be ordered with either a metric or imperial thread. Or it's a relatively cheap and easy job to get a gunsmith to do for you.
    You could probably buy a Varmint and pay a smith to thread the muzzle (and shorten if you like) and still be under the cost of a CTR.
    Follow up question, is the T3X Lite Compact a decent option to start with for what I mentioned before? Not seeing much availability anywhere right now, except for the Lite and Lite Compact, so that's why I ask. Or should I just wait for something with a heavier barrel? I'd be shooting 5-shot groups at a time, no competition/matches or anything like that. Don't want barrel heat to ruin a group after 3 shots. And I don't know how thick the barrel is on these.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXE312C-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-Compact-223-Rem-SYN-200--barr.aspx

jonnybrowning

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 5, 2020
    I waited six months to find a Tikka Varmint .223 with a heavy barrel. I searched just about every day. Finally, Eurooptic got a few in. It was well worth the wait. Darn thing shoots real nice!!

• Wow
    Reactions: fullsemiauto556

sboone

Safety off make boom
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2021
    I believe they got their molds figured out for Tikka DBM now since the (+0.100) note on the inlet drop-down is gone. Gonna be sweet
    The Phoenix stocks are pretty good. I had the chance to shoot to 1K yards a couple weeks ago. The package performed, shot very well. I didnt do any bedding. I did remove paint off the top of the bedding pillars because it was messing with torquing the action screw

List of complaints on the phoenix
    Paint on the bedding pillars
    Magazine is extremely tight to seat
    The but pads, while soft and squishy, aren't very durable, I tore the original on a Saturday. Props to grayboe though, I had a new one on the following Wednesday.

Overall, its a very good stock IMO for what it offers and at the price point it comes in at

Attachments

• 20210511_190244.jpg
      20210511_190244.jpg
      336.7 KB · Views: 90

Radiohead71

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 19, 2018
    Follow up question, is the T3X Lite Compact a decent option to start with for what I mentioned before? Not seeing much availability anywhere right now, except for the Lite and Lite Compact, so that's why I ask. Or should I just wait for something with a heavier barrel? I'd be shooting 5-shot groups at a time, no competition/matches or anything like that. Don't want barrel heat to ruin a group after 3 shots. And I don't know how thick the barrel is on these.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXE312C-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-Compact-223-Rem-SYN-200--barr.aspx
    I found my Varmint on gunbroker. No .223 ones on there today, but I have seen a few in the past couple of weeks. I had been watching Tikka availability (online) for a while and there have been a lot more rifles available lately. Keep your eye out on gunbroker, gun.deals and Euro Optic and do a search for JRTXH312. The new super varmint looks good too, whenever that comes out?

Reactions: fullsemiauto556

Mhahn

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Feb 27, 2019
    Kirkwood, Missouri
    Does anyone have a tk varmint.223 in a KRG bravo how does it feed with .223 acis mags? Or should I go with the CTR and get the KRG Bravo CTR?

Craigm63

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    May 22, 2012
    Georgia
    Does anyone have a tk varmint.223 in a KRG bravo how does it feed with .223 acis mags? Or should I go with the CTR and get the KRG Bravo CTR?
    My wife’s fed very well in a bravo with 75gr ELD and MDT AICS mags. It’s in an MPA chassis now still feeding fine.

Reactions: Mhahn

CaptNemo

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I have an old school T3 ( Non X Model ) .223 in a Bravo that I have been using MDT Polymer mags.
    So far, feeds like a champ with the OEM Barrel and the X-Caliber barrel that's on the action now.

bigpeddler

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    How do you like the carbon six barrel?

I’m about half way through my PVA barrel and looking at either a carbon six or proof prefit as a replacement.

Not enough time with it to determine - I'll let you know when I have a change to do some load development with it.

chutinlead

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Apr 10, 2018
    Wyoming
    Yeah I'm interested also in the Carbon 6. I have one on order, but not sure if its going to make the cut by hunting season with any time to break in and load develop.

Nwshooter

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 19, 2018
    I have one in a Bravo with acis accurate mag and have never had an issue feeding. 55 fmj to 75 eldm no problems

Sieg

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 14, 2018
    I have one in a Bravo and use the MDT polymer mags with zero issues.

FWIW - I'm trying to get a Super Varmint in .308 in a KRG X-Ray and will use the MDT mags also.

Last edited:

Liftman101

Private
    Minuteman
    I have 2 Tikka Varmint rifles to sell 1 in 223 and 1 in 22-250. I recently bought them for a Prairie Dog hunt and found I preferred using an AR15. Neither has more than 100 rounds thru them. Unfortunately I do not have privileges to post in the exchange. I used to but don't come here often. I will post on Gun Broker. I also have a McMillan stock for inlet for standard Tikka bottom metal (plastic) that I don't need. Its a thing of beauty and fits the Tikka Varmint well.

CamoWhamo

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2020
    Something a little different.
    I've kitted my T3X Varmint .308 with target sights for a 300m comp.
    The Sights are Pheonix Sights. The rail is a Spuhr extended rail which i have reversed to bring the extended part back behind the receiver and move the sight 2" closer to the eye.
    Chassis is an MDT XRS.
    And a single shot adapter

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
      IMG_0414.jpg
      324.3 KB · Views: 128

Radiohead71

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 19, 2018
    Something a little different.
    I've kitted my T3X Varmint .308 with target sights for a 300m comp.
    The Sights are Pheonix Sights. The rail is a Spuhr extended rail which i have reversed to bring the extended part back behind the receiver and move the sight 2" closer to the eye.
    Chassis is an MDT XRS.
    And a single shot adapter
    Looks interesting. What is your opinion on the XRS? I was set to get one for my Varmint, but now I am tempted to just get the ACC. A lot more money, of course. Your rifle looks great.

CamoWhamo

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2020
    Looks interesting. What is your opinion on the XRS? I was set to get one for my Varmint, but now I am tempted to just get the ACC. A lot more money, of course. Your rifle looks great.

I rate the XRS very highly.
    I had an ACC on my Ultimatum Deadline Action. I also had MPA BA Comp chassis for Rem and Tikka's.
    I bought an XRS as interim chassis for one of my rifles because the ACC's and MPA's were all out of stock here and not due for months (I'm in Australia).
    I planned on using the XRS only until i could get the "better" chassis.
    Long story short, I was so impressed by the XRS that I now have 4 of them and I've sold my ACC and MPA's.
    It's a personal preference and ergonomic choice.
    The ACC and MPA are great chassis' but I just never felt 100% comfortable behind them. I knew I wasn't comfortable but I couldn't figure out why and it finally clicked when I got that first XRS.
    I just find that an underhanging AR style grip doesn't work for me on a Bolt action rifle. I didn't like being forced to have my thumb down the side as it feels awkward.
    I've always preferred the feel of stocks like Manners or McMillan and the XRS has that same kind of feel. I can rest my thumb on the centerline and still get to the bolt quickly.
    The XRS is similar to the KRG Bravo. I've had a Bravo and felt it was the most comfortable of the KRG chassis but for me the XRS is a slight step up in comfort.

Radiohead71

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 19, 2018
    I rate the XRS very highly.
    I had an ACC on my Ultimatum Deadline Action. I also had MPA BA Comp chassis for Rem and Tikka's.
    I bought an XRS as interim chassis for one of my rifles because the ACC's and MPA's were all out of stock here and not due for months (I'm in Australia).
    I planned on using the XRS only until i could get the "better" chassis.
    Long story short, I was so impressed by the XRS that I now have 4 of them and I've sold my ACC and MPA's.
    It's a personal preference and ergonomic choice.
    The ACC and MPA are great chassis' but I just never felt 100% comfortable behind them. I knew I wasn't comfortable but I couldn't figure out why and it finally clicked when I got that first XRS.
    I just find that an underhanging AR style grip doesn't work for me on a Bolt action rifle. I didn't like being forced to have my thumb down the side as it feels awkward.
    I've always preferred the feel of stocks like Manners or McMillan and the XRS has that same kind of feel. I can rest my thumb on the centerline and still get to the bolt quickly.
    The XRS is similar to the KRG Bravo. I've had a Bravo and felt it was the most comfortable of the KRG chassis but for me the XRS is a slight step up in comfort.
    Thank you. My heart says get a Manners but I can't wait 4-6 months. I was going to get an ACC but the XRS is most likely fine for me. Good to hear it exceeded your expectations.

Polar Walt

Private
    Minuteman
    Hi guys, 13 years behind a rifle, but first post here.

Just finished my newest loadout
    _20210726_113515.JPG

Base is Sako Tikka T3x TAC A1 6.5 CRMR with 24" barrel.
    - Can is Ase Utra SL5i
    - Glass is Vortex Viper PST GEN II 3-15x44 with EBR-7C
    - Spuhr mount
    - Magpul MOE K2+
    - vortex Viper red dot for deer
    - bipod is Tier One Evolution

I'm a 338 Lapua Mag Guy so I 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty new to me. After 200 rounds it does the job though and I can see some birds dropping from trees with this one

GBMaryland

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    How do you like the carbon six barrel?

I’m about half way through my PVA barrel and looking at either a carbon six or proof prefit as a replacement.

I just had PVA drop a proof pre-fit carbon fiber TAC A1 in mine and it works pretty well.

I’m still putting it through its initial paces but I’m able to put bullets through the same hole at 100 yards.

According to proof they are no longer making drop in barrels for the Tikka T3X Tac A1 rifle…. What they were able to tell me a couple of retailers they thought would have them in stock… And I picked up two.

Last edited: