• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

It is sub moa most of the time if the guy jerking the trigger would get it together :rolleyes: I have gone all the way out to 1000 with it but it is really hard to see impacts, 800 is not too bad tho. About 6-8 months ago i tried to run a ladder test on the 75gr hpbt and the 80gr amax but didn't really know what i was doing so I put it on hold till I had some more learning under my belt I have been stocking up on components was looking at 80gr stuff but I think I will try the 77 gr berger otm first not sure on power I have cfe 223, blc2, varget, and 4064 to try in that order here is a couple of pic for reference
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fYqRdiel.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/cTNpmFhl.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/JlcT2mml.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/F4AL7BJl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
under 500 yds the 55gr tap does alright

good to hear you are starting to reload. Tons of fun and lots of accuracy to be had as the rifle will realy shine. I would suggest starting with an OCW (optimal charge weight) test first rather than the ladder test but that is just my preference. OCW is easier to do and understand. You can google OWC but here is recent explanation that is well put into words http://65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=6774.0

i have been been using a ton of Varget so far in my 223 for lighter bullets with great luck but have since branched out to other powders. I have some 73gr ELD loaded up with both Varget and H4895 for a trip to the range tomorrow. I also have some 8208 and AR-Comp I am also going to try on the 73gr and the 75gr and 80gr when I get some of those. I already don't like the Varget because of how much you need to compress the powder. The extruded grains are so dam big and Varget is a slower burning powder than the others I listed above.
I also plan to take these out to 1000 yards and you are correct; impacts are a bitch to see and adjust for at that distance. Specially at my range where it's all grass and alsmot not dirt to stir up.

good to hear you are starting to reload. Tons of fun and lots of accuracy to be had as the rifle will realy shine. I would suggest starting with an OCW (optimal charge weight) test first rather than the ladder test but that is just my preference. OCW is easier to do and understand. You can google OWC but here is recent explanation that is well put into words [video]http://65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=6774.0[/video]

i have been been using a ton of Varget so far in my 223 for lighter bullets with great luck but have since branched out to other powders. I have some 73gr ELD loaded up with both Varget and H4895 for a trip to the range tomorrow. I also have some 8208 and AR-Comp I am also going to try on the 73gr and the 75gr and 80gr when I get some of those. I already don't like the Varget because of how much you need to compress the powder. The extruded grains are so dam big and Varget is a slower burning powder than the others I listed above.
I also plan to take these out to 1000 yards and you are correct; impacts are a bitch to see and adjust for at that distance. Specially at my range where it's all grass and alsmot not dirt to stir up.

Really like the 8208 I don't run it in my bolt action but about to swap powders and it'll be the first it try with it. Out of my semiauto it shoots great with the Hornady 75 grain bthps. My buddy uses mr2000 with the 80 grain vlds in his bolt gun and it does great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like the 8208 I don't run it in my bolt action but about to swap powders and it'll be the first it try with it. Out of my semiauto it shoots great with the Hornady 75 grain bthps. My buddy uses mr2000 with the 80 grain vlds in his bolt gun and it does great

That is why I am exited to try the 8208 as I keep hearing good things about it.

IMG_6945_zpsjmgghrvt.jpg This picture is for The _Accuser that asked about the folding stock. The picture shows the two set screws and where they apply pressure on the opposite plate to create tension on the clasp. It actually works fairly well.
on a side note make sure remember you may need higher scope rings to clear the hand guard.

a32eabdfa5695acf1017390c48790363.jpg
a372831481e087c8e154b740e7c15b12.jpg

Factory T3X CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG X-Ray chassis shooting Prime ammunition. Shot a .236" 5 shot group at 100 yards with it this weekend...I'm overly impressed with this rifle!

Factory T3X CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor in a KRG X-Ray chassis shooting Prime ammunition. Shot a .236" 5 shot group at 100 yards with it this weekend...I'm overly impressed with this rifle!

That other rifle looks oddly familiar

Awesome group, glad you did it proper with 5 shots. So many guys on the 6.5cm page shoot only shoot 3.

Awesome group, glad you did it proper with 5 shots. So many guys on the 6.5cm page shoot only shoot 3.

I really appreciate that, I did a 3 shot group right before this and thought it was horrible because a fly was on the target about 3" lower than the first shot and it wouldn't move so I thought that was my hit....then I went and looked and it was all touching too. That was just a rebel of a fly

Can some one give me the length of the action screws please. I don't have any here and need to run to hardware store and get some for tomorrow. I know thread and pitch just need length. TIA

Reactions: jLorenzo
Finally found you guys again! I was stuck on the old forum and didn't know where anyone went.

For those that have rebarreled which contours did you go with and why? I don't have a tikka yet but I'm slowly saving up. Just got my lefty 870 shotgun in December.

Sure wish they'd import all of the models or at least take orders for specific models. Varmint stainless lefty in 300wm.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I haven't been able to find a T3X 24" 6.5 Creedmoor anywhere. I had my local dealer call their Beretta rep and get one on order. They said their next shipment would be sometime in June.

Tikka T3 CTR 308. Precision Armament Break, Atlas Biopd. Vortex pst 4-16x50.

Attachments

• 13040920_10209064464956835_4255212825766141429_o.jpg
    13040920_10209064464956835_4255212825766141429_o.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 124

How do you like the KRG X-Ray vs the MPA chassis??

I haven't been able to find a T3X 24" 6.5 Creedmoor anywhere. I had my local dealer call their Beretta rep and get one on order. They said their next shipment would be sometime in June.

Me and two other guys were wanting to go in and buy tikkas together to get a deal. Just looking at the 20" ctr. We called around and got a buddy to call a local place and somehow they had 3 24" in stock and this was literally like 3 weeks after SHOT show. We got very lucky.

How do you like the KRG X-Ray vs the MPA chassis??

It's very tough to compare them. I have nothing good to say about both of them. The MPA build wise is very strong and super tight fit/tolerances on his action. It has more ease of adjustment and has small little things here and there that you will notice when using and think "dang that was a good idea". The MPA does have a pound or two more of weight to it than the KRG if that is an issue to you. I was skeptical on my order of the X-ray at first. Once I got it in and I installed it, the skepticism went away. It is a very strong chassis system (obviously not as strong as the MPA being full thick aluminum), but the aluminum backbone system in the KRG is impressively rigid. Not having a tool less LOP adjustment on the KRG isn't a huge issue, I have it set and I don't plan on changing it. There's tons of mounting options on the fore end of the KRG with the ability to slide the fore end out or in to make the mag fitment snug or loose. For the KRG at its price point I don't know of any competition for it honestly! The price is great for the quality and it was at my door in a week. The MPA in its price range is a great deal IMO, his is a lefty so the wait was what seemed like forever (14 weeks) but he couldn't be happier with it now that it's in!

Got a screaming deal on this T3 Varmint 8 twist 223. I picked it up for under a grand, with an XLR chassis. When it showed up I was surprised to see that it had a Mountain Tactical steel picatinny rail, a Sterk swept ball bolt handle and a aluminum bolt shroud. It came with the original stock so I put that back on and sold the XLR chassis for $600 and I'm into the gun for about $400 bucks. I sent it to accurate ordnance for a thread job and a custom collar for my AEM5 spuressor. It's super pleasant to shoot, even without hearing protection.

-Kirby

Attachments

• photo49620.jpg
    photo49620.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 202
  • photo49621.jpg
    photo49621.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 192
Tikka CTR Scout in .223 mounted in a KRG W-3 folder.
Fantastic rifle for a day sitting over a prairie dog town!!!

Got a screaming deal on this T3 Varmint 8 twist 223. I picked it up for under a grand, with an XLR chassis. When it showed up I was surprised to see that it had a Mountain Tactical steel picatinny rail, a Sterk swept ball bolt handle and a aluminum bolt shroud. It came with the original stock so I put that back on and sold the XLR chassis for $600 and I'm into the gun for about $400 bucks. I sent it to accurate ordnance for a thread job and a custom collar for my AEM5 spuressor. It's super pleasant to shoot, even without hearing protection.

-Kirby

Kirby, did accurate ordnance shoulder your bbl for the addition of a collar (I think that's what the pic shows) or did they trim the barrel at 20 degrees so the suppressor "locks" directly into the bbl?

Thanks,
SFT

Yes, the barrel wasn't quite thick enough (it needs to be at least .920) to mill the shoulder directly into the barrel. The whole job cost $250 with return shipping.

-Kirby

I just got a Tikka T3X Varmint in 223. I plan on using this as a prairie dog gun. Is it in poor taste to put in a chassis? Is this something that's frowned upon or does nobody give a damn?

Reactions: Gebemot
I just got a Tikka T3X Varmint in 223. I plan on using this as a prairie dog gun. Is it in poor taste to put in a chassis? Is this something that's frowned upon or does nobody give a damn?

Hell no and who cares except you. I put my 223 varmint in an XLR chassis and wouldn't have it any other way. It has been my new favorite rifle I haven't been able to put down for the last 2 months and 1000 rounds. Have wacked over 100 PDogs this year with it. Most of which have been between 300-500 yards.

Hell no and who cares except you. I put my 223 varmint in an XLR chassis and wouldn't have it any other way. It has been my new favorite rifle I haven't been able to put down for the last 2 months and 1000 rounds. Have wacked over 100 PDogs this year with it. Most of which have been between 300-500 yards.

That's good to know. I'm fairly knew to bolt action rifles. My current prairie dog gun is a Daniel Defense M4V7. May I ask what scope you're using on your rig?

That's good to know. I'm fairly knew to bolt action rifles. My current prairie dog gun is a Daniel Defense M4V7. May I ask what scope you're using on your rig?

I'm thought I would give the Argos Athlon BTR 8-34 a try. Not a bad scope for $350 but not my favorite. Glass is good but the turrets are less than great. Do your self and the rifle a favor and slap a chassis on it.

Take a look at the X-ray chassis by krg. I've been very impressed with it. I even bought a manners T4 thinking I'd like it better but found the X-ray to be more comfortable so I'm about to sell the manners.

Has anyone had trouble with ejected cases hitting their windage knob and bouncing back in to the ejection port? I had this happen a number of times at a match today, it ended up costing me points. If it matters, I'm shooting a 260 CTR in a Whiskey-3 chassis. If I work the bolt slowly, the cases eject normally with no issues. However, if I work the bolt quickly, like I would in a match, the cases will hit the windage knob and bounce back into the ejection port about 90% of the time. I am using a Bushnell DMR, which has a fairly large windage knob, in ARC M10 low rings. I tried switching to my Mark 6 3-18, which has a low capped windage knob. That helped, but cases still bounce back in about 30% of the time.

So far I've seen three suggestions that might help the problem:
- Shorten the ejector spring
- Bevel the extractor
- Get higher rings
I realize that shortening the ejector spring may lead to issues with slow bolt movement, but this is a match only rifle, so that shouldn't be a problem. Beveling the extractor seems like something I would only want to try as a last resort. Finally, I really like my cheekweld with the low rings, I don't think moving to higher rings is a good idea from that perspective.

Has anyone experienced this same problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Tikka in Manners T4, Sterk Titanium Pineapple Bolt handle and Titanium Shroud
IMG_2187_zpsd278c6cf.jpg

Tikka in PSE Composites Stock
IMG_1049.jpg

Tikka in TRG (KRG Backbone), Sterk Swept Ball Bolt handle and Titanium Shroud
2015-10-31%2011.53.33_zpsmksiqvg1.jpg

Tikka in Wombat Ordnance Chassis with Viperskins, Sterk Swept Ball Bolt handle and Titanium Shroud
IMG_26552_zps6dc6a4dd.jpg

Tikka in Wombat Ordnance Chassis with AI 1.5 Skins, Sterk Swept Ball Bolt handle and Titanium Shroud
IMG_26242_zpsd4a4d1a2.jpg

Tikka in AI AICS AX Chassis (REM700 SA Modified Inlet), Sterk Swept Ball Bolt handle and Titanium Shroud
IMG_3613_zpstlbroa5c.jpg

Nice rifles. Can you tell me how you put together the TRG?

Take a look at the X-ray chassis by krg. I've been very impressed with it. I even bought a manners T4 thinking I'd like it better but found the X-ray to be more comfortable so I'm about to sell the manners.

I'll look into the X-ray by KRG and Element Chassis by XLR. Anyone else have any more suggestions? I really wish a local retailer would carry these in stock so you can play with them. It's hard to make a big ticket decision when all you have are pictures on a website.

Reactions: fragmatic
I'll look into the X-ray by KRG and Element Chassis by XLR. Anyone else have any more suggestions? I really wish a local retailer would carry these in stock so you can play with them. It's hard to make a big ticket decision when all you have are pictures on a website.

I'll throw in a suggestion to also check out the Mcrees G10. I have one on my CTR and I'm really happy with it.

I noticed your auburn logo so I'll assume you're in Alabama if you're local to trussville or it's a decent drive check out Birmingham pistol wholesale that's where my buddy his dad and another all bought them the same day

I noticed your auburn logo so I'll assume you're in Alabama if you're local to trussville or it's a decent drive check out Birmingham pistol wholesale that's where my buddy his dad and another all bought them the same day

Thanks, I lived and went to school there but I live back in GA now.

They seem to be out of stock everywhere. I'm in no hurry so I don't mind waiting a few weeks to support my local shop.

I'll give a huge x2 to the X-ray. The rifle is plain easy to shoot prone or in the alternates, and they are around 600 shipped for a basic package.

I got an email alert from Eurooptics that 24" are back in stock

Nuthin fancy, but after some load development with Berger 130 AR Hybrids and IMR 4451 it shoots. SS T3x CTR 20" with aftermarket adjustable comb which works much better than standard comb, PVA self timing muzzle brake which I really like - no blast back at the shooter, Harris bipod with Pod-Loc, Kahntrol Solutions Podmod adapters for Atlas feet, Hawk Hill feet all which I like, but think I would like non rotating feet even better, 6x24 Vortex PST with 3C reticle another like a lot in low mount QD LaRue Rings which I also like, early Burris red dot and current scope adapter scope ring - jury still out, but could be helpful, if I can keep it adjusted for distant target alignment.

My latest ladder testing results with 130 gr Berger AR Hybrids and IMR 4451 are also shown below. As you can see IMR 4451 in the 43.6 to 44.2 range maybe hard to beat with no pressure signs @84* F. I'm going to load a bunch up at 44.0 gr and hope to shoot them later this week for groups @ 100 and 200 yds as well as separately velocity with my Magneto Speed Sport. The pictured loads were all in new, sized 165.4gr Lapua cases with CCI 450 primers and the bullets were ~0.045 off the lands. These loads were safe in my rifle with no pressure signs on the cases or primers nor did they have any stiff bolt lift, but may not be safe in your rifle. The max load listed by Sierra for their 130 TMK is 43.7 grains of IMR 4451 so start below that in your rifle for safety.

I would expect a little more velocity from Reloder 26, but that IMR 4451 load is as good as I can shoot! If anyone has experience with RL 26 in the 6.5 Creedmoor I'd really appreciate hearing about it! IMR 4451 had a wide node and accuracy advantage over H4350, and RL 16 with the 130's in my rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_4803.jpg
    IMG_4803.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 230
Nice rifles. Can you tell me how you put together the TRG?

Yeah sure, pictures explain it pretty well: http://s307.photobucket.com/user/jhonvdp/library/Tikka TRG
Justin from KRG helped out with the Tikka bedding block/backbone, and a trigger guard. A bit of modification was required of course, but it wasn't that hard. If you use a TRG trigger on the Tikka you don't need the trigger guard from KRG. Basically needed a 'pillar' to distance the rear of the trigger guard against the backbone, and in my case being left handed meant a few tweaks to the inlet also.

Is there a measurable increase in accuracy in the stainless 24" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel over the standard hammer forged offering ?

Just ordered a GGS Predator for my CTR 260. Hopefully I will learn how to post picture by the time it arrives.

where did you guys source your cleaning bore guides? been looking a few places most are out of stock. i need on for 260/6.5

T3 Lite in .300 WM
Braked and dropped into a Sako Hunter pattern McMillan
Topped with a MIL/MIL SWFA fixed 10X

Here is my dad holding the rifle, and daughter (who is holding her own T3 in .308) with the cow I shot this last December.

Reactions: StraitR
My oldest daughter (14) with her 2016 Mule Deer doe she shot using my T3 .308 that I had cut down to 20"s and braked. Topped with my old Nightforce 2.5-10x24 Compact.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i18.photobucket.com\/albums\/b109\/IV_Troop\/2016%20deer%20elk\/IMG_1824%201_zpslsjgzdyt.jpg"}[/IMG2]

And Daughter with her 2016 elk.

Another T3 .308, cut to 20"s and brake installed. The stock was a factory walnut stock, cut short to fit her. This next season we will stick the factory full size plastic stock back on, as she has grown about a foot since we originally set up her rifle. Not the best
pic of the rifle, but it has been getting the job done.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i18.photobucket.com\/albums\/b109\/IV_Troop\/2016%20deer%20elk\/IMG_2068_zps9f88tde8.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Daughter's Elk #1 from 2015.

Same cut down T3 .308:

This was a great shot, at a lasered 275 yards, and she put it exactly where I told her to.

In this pic, she is pointing to the entrance wound:

My 15 year old T3 .308 Varmint that was cut to 20"s, wearing an MDT chassis.
Rifle is topped with a fixed 10X USO.