• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the action on a Tikka t3x lite and a CTR both in 6.5 creedmoor. Thinking of rebarreling my t3x kite 308 to 6.5 or buy a CTR.
EVERY Tikka has same lenght action!
Only magazine determinate caliper.
And for sure bolt end, most used 243win-9.3x62 use same size bolt face.
So IF you had a Tikka T3 lite, and you are rebarreling it with new barrel, you are safe.
Varmint type barrel is in your mind?
What manu did you choose for?

Same action as stated, the CTR comes with a rail and has extra holes on the top of the receiver for drive pins that help secure the rail. No need though, any aftermarket rail or even a takeoff rail should do fine with the correct scope.

Honestly, the CTR shoots great out of the box, you can get 20 and 24" lengths. So unless you want a high end tube on it, go with a stocker and put the money into a chassis or Manners.

Thank you for the advice. I just order a bravo chassis and between rebarreling or buy the CTR. I think I'll get the T3x CTR in 6.5 but if I do not sure if I should get the 20" or 24". I look at the 20" at Gander outdoors and it seemed fine but I haven't seen the 24" the only way to see it is to order one. If you had you choice what would you get and why.
Thanks
Brian

I’ll be ordering a 24” next week. I’m willing to trade portability for velocity. This one is 2” shorter than my 12 LRP and have a thinner barrel contour for a little less weight.

I’ll be ordering a 24” next week. I’m willing to trade portability for velocity. This one is 2” shorter than my 12 LRP and have a thinner barrel contour for a little less weight.
Where are you ordering from?

The cost to rebarrel a T3 Lite, especially if you want to change stocks, bottom metal or something to use different magazines is going to quickly approach the point of saying screw it and buying a complete new and different rifle.

The cost to rebarrel a T3 Lite, especially if you want to change stocks, bottom metal or something to use different magazines is going to quickly approach the point of saying screw it and buying a complete new and different rifle.
... Unless they don't import what you want. Or to get what you want you have to go custom anyway.

Lefty stainless ctr would be nice. Anybody heard any news on that?

... Unless they don't import what you want. Or to get what you want you have to go custom anyway.

Lefty stainless ctr would be nice. Anybody heard any news on that?

No for us southpaws you’re definitely correct about that. I’d have been all over lefty CTR, but got tired of waiting and just broke down and got the lefty TAC A1.

But when I was looking at all the options, I’d have had probably $1200-1300 by the time I bought a PVA barrel, Bravo, top rail, 3X AICS mags, and pay for shipping and installation at PVA. Even more if I buy the barrel vise and action wrench and do it myself (which I’d have probably done). So the stretch to the TAC A1 at $1700 and side benefit of not “losing” my T3 30-06 rifle was a solid choice for me.

Reactions: Stooxie
No for us southpaws you’re definitely correct about that. I’d have been all over lefty CTR, but got tired of waiting and just broke down and got the lefty TAC A1.

But when I was looking at all the options, I’d have had probably $1200-1300 by the time I bought a PVA barrel, Bravo, top rail, 3X AICS mags, and pay for shipping and installation at PVA. Even more if I buy the barrel vise and action wrench and do it myself (which I’d have probably done). So the stretch to the TAC A1 at $1700 and side benefit of not “losing” my T3 30-06 rifle was a solid choice for me.
Personally I'm still saving. I also really like the looks and material properties of stainless. The only chassis that really catches my eye is the krg whiskey 3. Doing rough pricing based on advertised prices a fixed w3 (basic folding w3 doesn't work with lefty Tikkas) is $200 cheaper than a Mcmillan a5 with all the bells and whistles and a dbm.

Yes I know i have expensive tastes and that I'm picky. It's my money. Why not get what I want eventually?

I have a question can anyone tell me if a Tikka t3x lite will fit in a T3x CTR Stock?

I have a question can anyone tell me if a Tikka t3x lite will fit in a T3x CTR Stock?

The action will fit. Do you have CTR bottom metal to go with it? You’ll need that too.

The barrel channel may be slightly more opened up with the for the CTR barrel profile vs the Lite profile.

I’m new hear but I’ve been shooting a Tikka T3 Tactical 308 for a long time. I reinforced the standard stock & inlet it for an AICS mag bottom metal. It’s been that way for a few years now & shoots really well with the right ammo.

I have considered a chassis kit for sometime, but they are quite expensive here in the UK & I chose the 20” so I could use it in the field as well as the range. So I liked the look of the GRS stocks & finally got to try one in the flesh a couple of weeks back when another shooter brought a Berserk to the range.

Whilst doing some research on these I came across the new Bifrost which seemed a better stock from the info available, so after acquiring one & inletting it for my AICS mag bottom metal, here is the result.

View attachment 6968153

Feels great, hope to see how it shoots tomorrow, but the weather is looking bad ☹️

Enjoy

Have you had a chance to shoot with the Bifrost yet? How do you like it so far? Looking at picking up one of these for my Tikka Sporter.

I've known they had that for awhile. It's just that Beretta won't import it to the US. That is why I try to make sure everyone in the US goes to the correct tikka site (the en/us one). If not our hopes get dashed.

That´s weard that they do not take lefties in to the US markets, there you have more users than in Finland.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I've known they had that for awhile. It's just that Beretta won't import it to the US. That is why I try to make sure everyone in the US goes to the correct tikka site (the en/us one). If not our hopes get dashed.

LOL, so true! Every now and again I torture myself and force the international version of the page to load. Seeing all those extra models is so painful! Not to mention all the additional calibers. The CTR is available in 7mm-08 in Europe. I think they'd sell a TON of those here, but the shiny new calibers (like 6.5 Creedmore) get all the attention and the imports.

-Stooxie

LOL, so true! Every now and again I torture myself and force the international version of the page to load. Seeing all those extra models is so painful! Not to mention all the additional calibers. The CTR is available in 7mm-08 in Europe. I think they'd sell a TON of those here, but the shiny new calibers (like 6.5 Creedmore) get all the attention and the imports.

-Stooxie

Things are a little better up here in Canada, but only barely. We do have the lefty CTR in 308 and I think 6.5

The action will fit. Do you have CTR bottom metal to go with it? You’ll need that too.

The barrel channel may be slightly more opened up with the for the CTR barrel profile vs the Lite profile.
Yes, The rifle I have is a .308 t3x lite and the CTR is 6.5 creedmoor with bottom metal. can the mags work as well on 308? At some point I'll re-barrel the 308 with a medium palma barrel

Yes, The rifle I have is a .308 t3x lite and the CTR is 6.5 creedmoor with bottom metal. can the mags work as well on 308? At some point I'll re-barrel the 308 with a medium palma barrel
̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶6̶.̶5̶c̶r̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶3̶0̶8̶ ̶n̶e̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶6̶.̶5̶.̶ ̶ Body diameter is the same. So yes.

Edited to correct info upon further knowledge.

Last edited:
The 6.5 Creedmoor was derived from the 30TC (a flop). The 30TC did not use 308 brass. I was thinking the other day, with all the Creedmoor love, some ammo company should bring the 30TC back and call it the 30 Creedmoor.
Whoops. My bad. I know they have the same case head and I was sure it's just a barrel change to switch. I was also sure the magazines were the same.
The leap to get to the correct answer was wrong, but the correct answer was still correct. Thanks for the corrections @CaptNemo & @shoot4fun

Whoops. My bad. I know they have the same case head and I was sure it's just a barrel change to switch. I was also sure the magazines were the same.
The leap to get to the correct answer was wrong, but the correct answer was still correct. Thanks for the corrections @CaptNemo & @shoot4fun
You are certainly not the first to ever make that mistake. I see it somewhere on a forum at least once a week.

I AM 99,9% sure, that i am going to get Bravo chassis for the 223CTR, this mix KRG is just so good for the 260rem.

PB190237.JPG

308win is now in MDT chassis, since it has more recoil than soft 260rem, my son like to shoot it more now.
PB180025.JPG

Have you had a chance to shoot with the Bifrost yet? How do you like it so far? Looking at picking up one of these for my Tikka Sporter.
Yes I used it on the range last weekend. With the same ammo, the POI moved up about an 1” at 100yds. The hold is very nice, the grip puts your trigger finger just where it needs to be. Shot a nice 1/2” 5 shot group. So very happy.

Reactions: jolli68
I AM 99,9% sure, that i am going to get Bravo chassis for the 223CTR, this mix KRG is just so good for the 260rem.

View attachment 6973398

308win is now in MDT chassis, since it has more recoil than soft 260rem, my son like to shoot it more now.
View attachment 6973399

As much as you’re moving actions and stocks, you might want to skip the bolts and just Velcro the parts together...

Alright so I found a T3X Action for a good price and now I have a question...

I know the CTR bottom metal and mags won’t work due to the relief cut on the receiver that the CTRs have. However, if I get my McMillan with the CTR inlet and install an Atlasworxs AICS bottom metal for the CTR inlet, will this work with the T3X? I can’t see why it wouldn’t but just want to confirm. I like the design of the CTR AICS metal with the mag release built into the trigger guard of sorts since it’s for a hunting gun and it’s a little sleeker.

Alright so I found a T3X Action for a good price and now I have a question...

I know the CTR bottom metal and mags won’t work due to the relief cut on the receiver that the CTRs have. However, if I get my McMillan with the CTR inlet and install an Atlasworxs AICS bottom metal for the CTR inlet, will this work with the T3X? I can’t see why it wouldn’t but just want to confirm. I like the design of the CTR AICS metal with the mag release built into the trigger guard of sorts since it’s for a hunting gun and it’s a little sleeker.
What? (at first read it seems like you think ctr mags =AICS.)

All tikka actions are basically all the same. No weird extra cuts on the ctr's AFAIK.

Are you talking about this?
https://www.atlasworxs.com/collecti...ucts/atlasworxs-bottom-metal-dbm-tikka-t3-ctr

Now that I look at it yes I believe it will work. At first I was wondering why you wanted the CTR inlet if you're not going with ctr mags but then I didn't see that mag release design in the other AICS dbm. Nice find.

Pic of the linked dbm for reference.
IMG_7855_large.png

Reactions: 260284 and PFG
What? (at first read it seems like you think ctr mags =AICS.)

All tikka actions are basically all the same. No weird extra cuts on the ctr's AFAIK.

Are you talking about this?
https://www.atlasworxs.com/collecti...ucts/atlasworxs-bottom-metal-dbm-tikka-t3-ctr

Now that I look at it yes I believe it will work. At first I was wondering why you wanted the CTR inlet if you're not going with ctr mags but then I didn't see that mag release design in the other AICS dbm. Nice find.

Pic of the linked dbm for reference. View attachment 6973625

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, yes. Sorry for the confusion. I want to run AICS magazines not CTR mags. I’ve read from more than one source where the CTR receivers have an extra cut on the bottom of the receiver to give clearance to the CTR mags that would otherwise not seat on T3/T3X receivers. Ive had McMillan tell me this too, but I haven’t seen a picture of the underneath of both receivers side by side to confirm. I’m asking if this relief is still needed while running the pictured DBM above that uses AICS mags and the CTR inlet.

The simple answer is “just use the AICS metals that aren’t for the CTR inlet” but I like the design of the one above best.

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I’m talking about, yes. Sorry for the confusion. I want to run AICS magazines not CTR mags. I’ve read from more than one source where the CTR receivers have an extra cut on the bottom of the receiver to give clearance to the CTR mags. I’m asking if this relief is needed while running the pictured DBM above that uses AICS mags.

The simple answer is “just use the AICS metals that aren’t for the CTR inlet” but I like the design of the one above best.
From the deluxe kitted version page. https://www.atlasworxs.com/collections/tikka-t3-t3x/products/atlasworxs-deluxe-kit-tikka-t3-t3x-ctr

"This particular kit is for the Tikka T3/T3x CTR for those wishing to use AICS pattern magazines. (This kit will also fit the Tikka T3 / T3x Short Action models)"

Reactions: 260284
AICS mags are long, a 5 round mag is as long as the CTR 10 round. Just keep the CTR parts, save the cash and have an arguably better setup.

-Stooxie

Reactions: 260284
That’s exactly what I’m talking about, yes. Sorry for the confusion. I want to run AICS magazines not CTR mags. I’ve read from more than one source where the CTR receivers have an extra cut on the bottom of the receiver to give clearance to the CTR mags that would otherwise not seat on T3/T3X receivers. Ive had McMillan tell me this too, but I haven’t seen a picture of the underneath of both receivers side by side to confirm. I’m asking if this relief is still needed while running the pictured DBM above that uses AICS mags and the CTR inlet.

CTR and T3X receivers are exactly the same. There is no such cut on the CTR receiver. T3X left, CTR right.
20171221_064951.jpg

CTR and T3X receivers are exactly the same. There is no such cut on the CTR receiver. T3X left, CTR right.
View attachment 6973710

I'm not sure if all T3X receivers have the transverse notch near the front of the bolt path cutout as shown above, but only the CTR in the regular T3 does. I have three T3 receivers and only the CTR one has said notch for the CTR magazine.

Reactions: WVHick
I'm not sure if all T3X receivers have the transverse notch near the front of the bolt path cutout as shown above, but only the CTR in the regular T3 does. I have three T3 receivers and only the CTR one has said notch for the CTR magazine.

I think it is something they commonized in the T3X.

That being said, I run AICS mags in a T3 without issue in an MPA Chassis.

AICS mags are long, a 5 round mag is as long as the CTR 10 round. Just keep the CTR parts, save the cash and have an arguably better setup.

-Stooxie
He bought a t3x not a ctr. He doesn't have ctr parts. He only has the t3x flush mag. So either he is at best 4+1 or more likely 3+1.

There are people that prefer AICS mags. There are also others that may already have AICS mags and want to be able to have mag compatibility across multiple rifles made by multiple companies.

Arguably better? Maybe for you but not for everybody. There are more reasons for doing things other than overall length of the mag.

Yeah, I'm going to have to call BS on the length statement. The CTR mag is in between the lengths of the 5rd AICS (which is flush on most chassis) and the 10rd AICS. It's more along the lines (lengthwise) of the AW mag. And yes, I have all the mags I mentioned.

Reactions: JGR1953
I think it is something they commonized in the T3X.

That being said, I run AICS mags in a T3 without issue in an MPA Chassis.

Good to know about that. I swapped from right to left actions in my chassis and now I've got a spare CTR stock since my new actions don't have the cutout for the CTR magazine. I suppose I could get an AICS bottom metal.

Good to know about that. I swapped from right to left actions in my chassis and now I've got a spare CTR stock since my new actions don't have the cutout for the CTR magazine. I suppose I could get an AICS bottom metal.

I put a standard T3 action without the cut in my t3x CTR factory stock and it works fine. Give it a try and see cause I could not see anything that fits that cut except the ramp on front of the follower and with loaded magazine it does not even touch....