• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tikka T3 Thread

Anyone running a long action with a WSM/Saum in a Manners/McMillan stock. I'd like to build a 7 saum with a LA bottom metal, looking for options
Redsnake Tactical makes some good versions, especially if you can snag some TRG42 mags. I think CDI or lumley does as well. If you can’t get the TRG42 mags and still want to run a lower profile mag, accurate mag is now making 3 round long action magazines that are about an inch shorter than the 5 rounders

Spuhr ISMS 34mm 6MIL/20MOA (SP-4602) mounting a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C MOA (42705) scope. With the 4" sunshade, the Vortex Defender Ocular (E-10) and Objective 56mm Flip Caps just clear the handguard rail. Without covers, more than enough clearance.

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals, and Xmas coming soon, now is the time to get a good price. Check out Mile High Shooting, they usually have good deals, EXCELLENT support and advice.

Post up in the for sale section that you wanna buy one. You may be better off just buying the cheapest T3x you can find and replacing barrel and stock (sell those to recoup funds).

If not just bite it and get a CTR.

Post up in the for sale section that you wanna buy one. You may be better off just buying the cheapest T3x you can find and replacing barrel and stock (sell those to recoup funds).

He is a new member. Have to have 100 posts or pay to be able to post in the for sale.

Whats up guys??? New guy to the forum here. I am planning to build a Tikka T3x CTR in 6.5 creedmoor. Wanting to find just a barreled action and drop it into a McMillan A5 stock. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find a barreled action? Ive been looking but haven't had the best of luck. Id rather buy just the barrel action and not pay for the stock since ill be replacing it anyway.
Anyone have one of these in a McMillan a5 stock and want to share some pictures???
Thanks dudes! looking forward to joining the addiction and having an empty wallet.

Welcome. Last Tikka I bought was a barreled action right here off the Hide. Pry your best bet if going for just a BA.

20170629_204854.jpg

20170223_201602.jpg

20" CTR 6.5 Creedmoor in a drop in ready Manners T4A Gap camo.

Edited to correct almost impeccable spelling lol

Just a heads up guys, our T3 2-stage triggers are up on the site finally. Intro price is $229. Take a look if you're interested.
https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/midas-trigger/
Thank you,
Justin

Is is possible to adjust the angle of the trigger shoe? That older TRG style angle never really worked for me. If not maybe offer another shoe that makes it straight and the buyer can select what they want.

Just a heads up guys, our T3 2-stage triggers are up on the site finally. Intro price is $229. Take a look if you're interested.
https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/midas-trigger/
Thank you,
Justin

Can the bolt be manipulated with the trigger on "safe" like the Timney can?

Also, are you selling the trigger guards for the low safety version seperately, or will those not be available until the low safety trigger comes out? It seems I ordered my Bravo about 6 months too early to use my current trigger guard.

and some 100 yard 3 & 5 round groups from the last couple weeks

Attachments

• C68A2D60-6D33-4DAB-9E21-48CCE0328412.jpeg
    C68A2D60-6D33-4DAB-9E21-48CCE0328412.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 60
  • FDE5C3D3-B853-4A99-B911-3F466EEB7209.jpeg
    FDE5C3D3-B853-4A99-B911-3F466EEB7209.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DE0D3D12-DB04-4F9F-9081-63EF6A523941.jpeg
    DE0D3D12-DB04-4F9F-9081-63EF6A523941.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 712216C8-37F2-47CF-8FC3-08E9CCDCB7FE.jpeg
    712216C8-37F2-47CF-8FC3-08E9CCDCB7FE.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 3A10BCEF-1AEB-40EB-9C25-A048A8DB214F.jpeg
    3A10BCEF-1AEB-40EB-9C25-A048A8DB214F.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 56
  • B070B2C6-91AD-42AE-AAE2-85B159C2545C.jpeg
    B070B2C6-91AD-42AE-AAE2-85B159C2545C.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Damone
Redsnake Tactical makes some good versions, especially if you can snag some TRG42 mags. I think CDI or lumley does as well. If you can’t get the TRG42 mags and still want to run a lower profile mag, accurate mag is now making 3 round long action magazines that are about an inch shorter than the 5 rounders

Thanks. Yes. Here is a pic of our LA TRG DBM in a Manners EH1-A

30B55DB4-0B5A-4675-9158-9B8D18F207D1.jpeg

And our LA AICS in a McMillan A3

F5223057-01A4-4CE7-9D63-828E4D0AF720.jpeg

What’s the OD of the shoulder where the muzzle device would mate up behind the threads ?
I have an Area 419 gunsmith fit brake and my rifle isn’t here yet. I’m trying to CAD up the brake and get the angles correct.

What’s the OD of the shoulder where the muzzle device would mate up behind the threads ?
I have an Area 419 gunsmith fit brake and my rifle isn’t here yet. I’m trying to CAD up the brake and get the angles correct.
Which barrel? I guess you are assuming ctr but 20" or 24"? It probably matters.

Got to take the 6.5 out to distance for the first time today. I can only get 840yrds at our home range but the results are promising. The barrel is SLOW shooting 140s, but I can’t complain about accuracy.

Tikka barrels generally are pretty slow but there is definitely no arguing about the accuracy!

Can the bolt be manipulated with the trigger on "safe" like the Timney can?

Also, are you selling the trigger guards for the low safety version seperately, or will those not be available until the low safety trigger comes out? It seems I ordered my Bravo about 6 months too early to use my current trigger guard.

The bolt cannot be moved with the safety on. Our trigger has a firing pin block like the regular TRG/T3 triggers and the bolt won't move with that block in place.

We will indeed be selling the new style trigger guards separately, it will be a bit though. We have a new polymer T3 guard and we might be offering the aluminum ones too.

Blindspotter I'm not sure which angle you mean but on our trigger the shoe only moves fore and aft. I's pretty comfortable though, you might find you like it.

Thank you,
Justin

Reactions: viking78
Since purchasing my T3x lite in .308 I have used it hunting and a few range sessions. The bolt not being able to open on safe kind of bothers me. Wish a 3 position safety was more common.

The rifle is awesome in every other way, I just prefer being able to lift my bolt to eject a loaded shell while the safety is still engaged.

I will be watching for a place to purchase(in canada) the KRG 2stage trigger for the heck of it, as I really want to give a 2 stage trigger a shot. The trigger spring having been changed on the factory trigger has me happy, especially compared to the timey Calvin elite on my rem700.

If you really have to have that 3 position safety:

https://webshop.roedale.de/gx2/prod...tikka-t3-dreistellungssicherung-rechts.html&=

or

http://buema-hochwang.de/Tikka-T3-Schlagbolzensicherung-rechts (you'll need a translator for that site unless you speak German, but you get the picture).

Speaking of safeties, I've always wondered if that middle position on the Tikka's safeties that you can only select with the bolt open was an intended design feature, or just a happy accident due to the safety design. Does anyone know?

Has anyone here actually run one of these 3-position safeties? I had seen that once before, and have been curious.

The one person I saw that bought and posted about that safety was on another forum. Not sure what the policy is here about linking to other forums, but if you Google "Tikka safety conversion" that should get you to the thread with more details.

The safety from the Tikka Tac A1 has a position where you depress the safety (while it is ‘On’) and it permits you to manipulate the bolt.

Not sure if it’s available separately anywhere. But it works well and is a nice improvement.

The bolt cannot be moved with the safety on. Our trigger has a firing pin block like the regular TRG/T3 triggers and the bolt won't move with that block in place.

We will indeed be selling the new style trigger guards separately, it will be a bit though. We have a new polymer T3 guard and we might be offering the aluminum ones too.

Blindspotter I'm not sure which angle you mean but on our trigger the shoe only moves fore and aft. I's pretty comfortable though, you might find you like it.

Thank you,
Justin

That's what I thought from looking at the pictures; really it will be no different than my current trigger in that regard. I got the email that it shipped today so I'll be eagerly awaiting its arrival.

The low safety one seems pretty cool, but we gotta wait for those anyway.

Not sure what "middle position" you guys are talking about, my 2007 manufacture varmint model doesn't seem to have one

Not sure what "middle position" you guys are talking about, my 2007 manufacture varmint model doesn't seem to have one

I should have explained that better, as it's not a true middle position. But with the bolt open, if you move the safety back towards safe, it will come to a stop midway between fire and safe. This "middle position" (not sure what else to call it) lets you chamber a round with it on safe, and once the bolt's closed, you can move the safety all the way back to the actual safe position. At least that's the way it is on my T3x Lite and CTR.

If you really have to have that 3 position safety:

https://webshop.roedale.de/gx2/prod...tikka-t3-dreistellungssicherung-rechts.html&=

or

http://buema-hochwang.de/Tikka-T3-Schlagbolzensicherung-rechts (you'll need a translator for that site unless you speak German, but you get the picture).

Speaking of safeties, I've always wondered if that middle position on the Tikka's safeties that you can only select with the bolt open was an intended design feature, or just a happy accident due to the safety design. Does anyone know?
That's not a design feature if you continue to operate the bolt it will after a couple of cycling's push the safety forward and allow the gun to fire. That's one thing I never liked about the Tikka triggers is not being able to eject a round unless you put the safety in the fire position.
That's another reason I switched both my guns to Timneys

Last edited:

Thank you,
Justin

Will your trigger work on left hand T3 models at all Josh?

On rifles with blind magazines you have to cycle the bolt and run each cartridge thru the chamber to unload the weapon. Think pump shotgun as well, they have a trigger safety.
Detachable magazines remove a lot of that motion and chance of a negligent discharge.

I'm a bit baffled, why opening or closing the bolt with safety off scares people. I cannot move the slide on a 1911 pistol with safety on.

It's not that I am scared. I am used to my remingtons where the safety does not have go be in the fire position to open the bolt.

I am mindful of where the muzzle is pointed when I switch the safety to unload my rifle. That is done even with the remington. It is just nice to have that slight less chance of there being an accidental discharge.

I got a conjugal visit ( I owe a $ balance - so it's "In Jail" right now ) with my "Christmas Present" new CTR yesterday at lunch time.
I test fit mu Area419 Hellfire gunsmith fit muzzle brake and its 180° off out of the box. I'll take some material off the back end in the lathe and get it clocked properly after Christmas.
That is a Smmmmoooottthh action and almost impossible to bind at the rear of the bolt travel, even with no lubricant on any of the moving surfaces. It's really going to be hard to buy any other brand bolt action rifles now.
I was going to get my 9 YO daughter a Savage 12 FV in .223 for Christmas, but I'm seriously re-thinking making that purchase now. A T3X Compact may be a better choice in the long run.

Has anyone here actually run one of these 3-position safeties? I had seen that once before, and have been curious.
I tried the ASH safety and have a quite a bit of dealings with the company. The 3 pos safety is fantastic if fitted correctly. If you look at the little video over and over you will understand. Basically the safety works similar to Mauser or similar designs meaning when moving the safety lever from the fire position to the first safe (bolt moveable) position the firing pin must move backwards slightly. In other words the safety lever must take the firing pin back a little, this little movement takes the contact away from the trigger. If the trigger is pulled and released it will travel back to the position it came from .
I think the 3 pos safety is a great feature especially for hunting, unloading with frozen fingers maybe in the dark and having a 700 gram trigger.
E-Tac3 ASH safety 3 pos.jpg
E-Tac3 T3.jpg

edi

Last edited:
Anyone confirm that Tikka will have a .223 CTR available at Shot 2019? I'm waiting to see if they will have one or if I just need to get the Varmint and have it threaded.

Alright, so I have this Tikka CTR action currently chambered in 6.5CM with a barrel and barrel nut from PVA. If I wanted to get say a 6.5prc or a 300wsm barrel (specifically a CF wrapped one-for hunting), what all would I need to do to my rifle in its current configuration?

I know I’d have to buy a new bolt (SA magnum bolt face) for the bigger cases. Would I have to lose the barrel nut and have the new barrel shouldered? Or, just order a CF barrel blank, send it to PVA, and have them spin it up to fit their barrel nut? What about the bolt stop/release? Would I have to change that as well to accept a 6.5prc or 300wsm?

Pardon my ignorance, I’m just trying to figure out if I should go this route, or if I’d just be better off buying a separate rifle in one of those SA magnum calibers...? Here she is with the barrel nut:
D25297A1-74E9-45FD-B511-3B4DD3C4F1EE.jpeg
644915E3-61BF-400D-BB7E-6E04878209D2.jpeg

Reactions: 260284 and yeos
You may be better off just buying the cheapest T3x you can find and replacing barrel and stock (sell those to recoup funds).

I did that last year... Cabela's price-matching BPS' black Friday price, stacked with the now-gone 10% military discount, then paid with ~15% of gift cards. I figured that made it about even to add a prefit barrel vs. buying a CTR.

But that doesn't include 'smithing or buying gauges, and I got my OTD price to something like $450. Helped a little that I wanted a 24" .308, which wasn't happening with a CTR, would've had to settle for a 20".

Anyone confirm that Tikka will have a .223 CTR available at Shot 2019? I'm waiting to see if they will have one or if I just need to get the Varmint and have it threaded.

i bet it will be.
I have ordered one ctr 223rem, though i will get it just next spring.
20" barrel black.
Will drop it to KRG Bravo, so i wont be using factory stock at all.

The only .223 CTR like rifles I have seen are the Tik-Tacs, that Eurooptics have.

20181202_155826.jpg

Just got this Tikka together. It's a 20" CTR in a MDT LSS-XL gen2. Hopefully it shots. I plan on it being my primary hunting rig.

Reactions: viking78