• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3 Varmint Project

Re: Tikka T3 Varmint Project

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yej0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kilo_One_Six, which version of McM A5 stock did you use? On McM website, I saw A5 vesions listed for Tikka 995, Sako TRG-S, but no T3. Or, is T3 and 995 interchangeable? </div></div>
Straight for the Mcm site for the a-5
Tikka - 595, 695, 55, T3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spot Me 2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yej0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kilo_One_Six, which version of McM A5 stock did you use? On McM website, I saw A5 vesions listed for Tikka 995, Sako TRG-S, but no T3. Or, is T3 and 995 interchangeable? </div></div>
Straight for the Mcm site for the a-5
Tikka - 595, 695, 55, T3 </div></div>

Thank you

I am so ticked off that we can't get the T3 varmint in 6.5x55 here in the states .....

Here is a few pictures of my latest project.
T3 in TRG chassis.
I want the TRG folder chassis for the quick adjustable buttlength, in compbination with the 6,5x55. The T3 action have the integral rail that works with my mounts, so no silly loose picatinny rail has to be used, and that makes a slicker more sturdy mounting solution than otherwise possible. And generally the T3 outshoots many customguns, so for rather low money the T3 is a tremendous gun.
I havent solved the magproblem yet, as I would prefer a centerfeed staggered ten round mag, but I will get a solution for that as well.

Håkan

197259_10150209159419408_680984407_9138620_8290882_n.jpg

199875_10150209161159408_680984407_9138629_7165786_n.jpg

200113_10150209504604408_680984407_9140844_1776935_n.jpg

Kilo_one_six,

Would you be so kind to explain how McMillan bedded or installed in some way the recoil lug block for your Tikka? Also, what kind of metal did they use...stainless? Maybe you sent the barreled action to them?

I'm interested in getting one for a Tikka .223 varmint hence the questions. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am so ticked off that we can't get the T3 varmint in 6.5x55 here in the states ..... </div></div>

you aren't the only one. i need to find one...left handed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a few pictures of my latest project.
T3 in TRG chassis.
I want the TRG folder chassis for the quick adjustable buttlength, in compbination with the 6,5x55. The T3 action have the integral rail that works with my mounts, so no silly loose picatinny rail has to be used, and that makes a slicker more sturdy mounting solution than otherwise possible. And generally the T3 outshoots many customguns, so for rather low money the T3 is a tremendous gun.
I havent solved the magproblem yet, as I would prefer a centerfeed staggered ten round mag, but I will get a solution for that as well.

Håkan
</div></div>

Hakan, can you explain your set up a little more? Is it T3 Lite 6.5x55? Is the TRG stock for 22 or 42? Any modification to the TRG stock to fit T3?

This is exactly the set up I am contemplating with

Thanks

Jeffrey

Jeffrey

The system is the T3 Varmint in 6,5x55.
The chassi is new, made to fit the T3. The foreend and the buttstok is TRG42.

Håkan

yej0001,

Just get the Kinetic Research Group Chassis for the T3. It looks and functions like the TRG stock. Here's a link...

Link

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeffrey

The system is the T3 Varmint in 6,5x55.
The chassi is new, made to fit the T3. The foreend and the buttstok is TRG42.

Håkan </div></div>

Seems that this is not easily done in the US - the only T3 (6.5x55) here is the Hunter version, not the Varmint heavy barrel. In addition, specially modified TRG chasis is probably going to cost a fortune, if made available at all

Thank you. You have an ideal set-up there. The 6.5x55 caliber is certainly under-rated in the US. I love my Swedish M38!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yej0001,

Just get the Kinetic Research Group Chassis for the T3. It looks and functions like the TRG stock. Here's a link...

Link

Josh </div></div>

Josh,
KRG is not making long action T3 version yet, so 6.5x55 action will not fit the current version. I think the long version will be made in the future, but I suspect that when Remington versions comes out, they will be too busy to make others

Don't worry! We will not neglect the long action T3! For one thing, two other versions will use a similar trigger guard setup.

If you have a mill, yeah you can make a TRG backbone to fit a T3. Then you can buy all the parts from Brownell's, like a forend, backend and TRG trigger. 5k dollars later you will have a T3 that is basically a watered down TRG-42, haha. Seriously though, there's some gunsmiths on this board who can work on T3's and get you a 6.5x55. We're trying to work out a deal with one where guys get special pricing or something through us.

K-1-S, good looking rig! I wish we could get the two stage trigger here. We have the Barnard at least I guess. How do you like the bolt handle? Is that from Hinterland?
Justin

I would certainly have ordered KRGs chassi if I not had an extra TRG42 chassi. So in my case the current solution fitted my wallet the best, but for all others I belive that the KRG option is by far the most interesting.
It's a pity that you cannot get the 6,5 varmints, maybe time to varm up the emailsystem at Beretta USA?

Håkan

Not to derail your thread K16...

Mike Bush at Underground Skunkworks is in the process of building a custom Tikka T3 .260 Rem for me and a T3 .30 cal magnum for my son.

With the completion of these builds, he will have all the custom tooling required to do a complete build on Tikkas including his own proprietary A2 tool steel pinned recoil lug that mounts on the the barrel shank like a Remington 700 style, but is custom machined for the unique Tikka barrel shank OD. Now you'll be able to have a Tikka T3 in just about any flavor you choose, including 6.5x55.

I should be going up there next week some time to drop off barrels and when I get more technical goodies I will post.

I am quite excited about taking receipt of this rifle as Mike's attention to detail is amazing (within hours of dropping off the actions he'd completely disassembled the bolt and firing pin mechanism to determine whether it was adequate or required some additional attention
wink.gif
). If you haven't seen examples of his work, you should look him up. He builds works of art that are also impressively accurate and reliable.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't worry! We will not neglect the long action T3! For one thing, two other versions will use a similar trigger guard setup.

If you have a mill, yeah you can make a TRG backbone to fit a T3. Then you can buy all the parts from Brownell's, like a forend, backend and TRG trigger. 5k dollars later you will have a T3 that is basically a watered down TRG-42, haha. Seriously though, there's some gunsmiths on this board who can work on T3's and get you a 6.5x55. We're trying to work out a deal with one where guys get special pricing or something through us.

K-1-S, good looking rig! I wish we could get the two stage trigger here. We have the Barnard at least I guess. How do you like the bolt handle? Is that from Hinterland?
Justin </div></div>

Justin, good to know! How's TRG folder project going along?

It's really annoying to be forced to rebarrel a T3, as they shoot normally out of the box better than many customguns.

When it comes to the recouillug I think it's better to keep the version there is orignal but make it somewhat bigger and bed it into the stock. At least i requires less jobb and thus lest costs.

Scopemount will I mount directly on the orignal rails but will then have to lower the ejectionport slightly.

Håkan

Håkan:

You should make a T3-system that use Sauer STR/SSG3000 mags. This mag is more common than 1911 mags in Scandinavia. It is also cheaper than any other steel mag and handles 308,6.5x55 and 30-06.

Torf

Yes the Sauer mags are common, but I want a staggered 10 round.......
Håkan

A T3/STR system would outsell a 10-round system 100 - 1.. :)

For fun you could adapt a MG15 75 round double drum in a T3. It works great with 6,5x55. These mags are quite common in Norway :)

I have a Tikka M65A that I'm going to convert to STR-mags with a new forend stock when the 308 barrel is gone.

This is not business for me, I don't intend to make a penny on it.
This is just what I want, and most likely what I will get, and that is for personal use.

Håkan

Ok, then you should take a look at mags for Madsen MG. If I remember correctly they are 30 round, double stack, single feed. Cut to capasity.

Great idea, and thickness in the metal as in a tank.....
they are heavy, problably ends up doing something my self.

Håkan

I also find Tikka's recoil lug solution acceptable (minus the aluminum) but their magazines are truly remarkable pieces of über expensive crap. I think i will leave rifle as is (for now) and wait to see what Roedale puts out and then upgrade the stock and start using AI mags (to bad here in EU we are somewhat limited in gunsmithing and accessories department). After i use up my barrel i'm going to continue using an action as it's probably best action for money and just rebarrel.

Sharac

The Tikka orignal magazines are pretty impressive, a friend drove over it with his car and it survived that abuse perfectly.
A metal mag wouldent do that.

If you are interested in aftermarket T3 stuff I can recomend this Swedish page, most well made T3 parts i have seen so far.
http://www.alutek.eu/

Håkan

Single stack 5 round plastics...not my cup of tea.

Still i modded mine so i can live with it but there is no way i'm going to pay 90€ for additional ones...

To me my Tikka tac is totally acceptable, shoots great and i love it however IF there would be:

1. 10 round magazines @ ~50€
2. Stock with straight buttstock (classic tactical butt)
3. Pistol grip or atleast anschutz style grip (something like sporter Tikka used to have
4. A BOLT HANDLE and not a <span style="font-size: 8pt">bolt look a like handle</span>

I'd say that would make it by far the best factory produced rifle...

PS: Thanks for the link i'll check it out.

Hi fellow shooters! Newbie signing in!
smile.gif

I hope I´m not derailing OP´s topic too badly, but I have the same rifle in same cal so...
smile.gif

Any of you guys have the AICS or KRG chassi systems on your T3´s? I´m looking a new stock to my rifle and those two are on my list. So I would gladly hear some comments on those two systems.

Thanks guys!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: julle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi fellow shooters! Newbie signing in!
smile.gif

I hope I´m not derailing OP´s topic too badly, but I have the same rifle in same cal so...
smile.gif

Any of you guys have the AICS or KRG chassi systems on your T3´s? I´m looking a new stock to my rifle and those two are on my list. So I would gladly hear some comments on those two systems.

Thanks guys!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Jullie, welcome from another newbie!

KRG stock looks very cool, and people have had good feedbacks. If your T3 is 'short action' equivalent, it's good to go. Magnum length still needs to wait

How are Sako rifles priced in Finland?

Mine is a 6,5x55, so i guess i have to just wait for the KRG long action version. Plus the export hassle...

Few price examples:

Sako TRG 42 Green: about 6600 USD
Sako 85 Varmint: about 3200 USD

You usually get about 400 USD off the price if really go for it.
wink.gif

I paid about 1700 USD for my T3 varmint with the set trigger. So how much do you guys pay for these rifles in the US?

Julie,

That's crazy pricing you got over there, and there made there! A TRG-42 in 338 Lapua is about half that here.

Sad thing about the 6.5x55 though. I would buy one for my next rifle but will probably have to stick with the 260 rem. I want one in the sporter stock if it ever becomes available.

I have the KRG chassis on my .308 now and love it!

7682.jpg

Eu is a bitch when it comes to weapons...(come to think of it i could set punctuation mark right after the keyword
smile.gif

I was thinking about the t3 sporter too. The shop had it in 6,5x55. Sweet rifle, but i wanted the longer barrel varmint in case i ever want to re chamber the gun to 6,5-284.

Seems that we make the rifles and you make the nice aftermarket bits in it!
grin.gif

Oh and btw...no Julie here...J U L L E...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: julle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh and btw...no Julie here...J U L L E...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Julle, sorry about the mis-spelling

Internet prices for new SAKOs:

TRG22: 2400 to 2600 US$
TRG42: 2500-2700 US$
SAKO 85: 1600-1800 US$

Seems we have it good here, but cheaper alternatives such as Remington and Savage make TRG hard to justify for many folks. Used ones can be bought frequently at lower price

I finally got a response from Beretta and they said they would order the T3 varmint for the USA folks, so long as they had a minimum order of 100 units. So who wants to sign up for the other 99 units?

Put me on the list for one, and I know a friend who wants one too

Does that response from beretta go for the sporter too? I feel a group buy coming on.

What do you guys think about rebarreling Tikka T3 308 medium action to 6,5x55 SE I mean dimensions and possibility to use AICS Roedale 6,5x55 SE magazine in T3 Medium action, thanks

There is no T3 medium action. They are all one size, the difference is the magazine. So you can turn any T3 with the right bolt face into a 6.5x55, just get the right magazine. We have found in doing the magnum length Whiskey-3 that the T3 will not accepth the CIP length 338 AICS mags but the regular 338 mags seem to be fine.
Justin

Action is identical... mags are different and the bolt stop is in a different place.

John

hmm nice
wink.gif
so I decided to go to 6,5x55 instead of 260 rem., thanks

Hi,

I recently purchased a Tikka T3 Scout in .308. I'd like to
try a Ching sling on it which requires an extra sling
swivel stud just in front of the magazine well. At this
spot on my rifle is a little round metal (3/8"?)
circular plate sunk just a touch into the lower
handguard. This looks like it was provided exactly
for the purpose of installing another sling swivel stud.
However, before I drill into it, I'm wondering if anyone has
experience with this (or other Tikka Varmint-Style T3')
and can tell me if this is indeed the right thing to do.

Thanks,

Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxAg08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that response from beretta go for the sporter too? I feel a group buy coming on. </div></div>

The sporter will show up in the US, just likely only in 223 and 308. If you want a Varmint in 6.5x55, your only bet is to buy one overseas and go through the import hassle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kilo_one_six,

Would you be so kind to explain how McMillan bedded or installed in some way the recoil lug block for your Tikka? Also, what kind of metal did they use...stainless? Maybe you sent the barreled action to them?

I'm interested in getting one for a Tikka .223 varmint hence the questions. Thanks.</div></div>

Mcmillan already have a program for inletting T3 actions into their stocks. They bed in a steel recoil lug into the stock so you dont have to use the aluminum lug that comes with the standard stock. It works really well.

What an outstanding rifle! Berretta is missing a large chunk of change by not importing more calibers in the T3 varmints.

A T3 in 6.5 Swede such as the one shown would be a favorite for sure!

The 6.5x55 is one of my favorite cartridges.

I just got a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in .308 because it's the only one a lefty can get in a medium bore cartridge.

It's already got the Aussie parts on it including the tactical bolt knob and metal bolt shroud. Plus I added an EGW rail to it for mounting a Leupy MK4 1.5-5 (1") on it.

I've also had it bedded, the barrel shortened to 20" and the trigger worked over.

Next I'm painting the stock and having the metal cerakoated as I really don't like stainless showing on a rifle.

It is intended to be my "truck" rifle so it'll get shot a lot and carried pretty much every where I go.

Just can't leave a rifle alone! I took some before pictures and when it's finally finished, I'll get some completed shots and post them on the board.

It is turning out to be a very handy and accurate lightweight shooter.

I'd do it all over again if they imported a lefty 6.5.

Tikka was going to be my first choice awhile back but I went with the 'ol 700 when I couldn't find what I wanted in the after-market scene. I'm glad to see that more and more options are being made for these awesome rifles. I love my 700, but I think my next build will most definitely be a Tikka. Great looking rifle you have there and it is obviously a great shooter to boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got a response from Beretta and they said they would order the T3 varmint for the USA folks, so long as they had a minimum order of 100 units. So who wants to sign up for the other 99 units? </div></div>

Where do I sign up?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopperguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5x55 is one of my favorite cartridges.

I just got a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in .308 because it's the only one a lefty can get in a medium bore cartridge.

It's already got the Aussie parts on it including the tactical bolt knob and metal bolt shroud. Plus I added an EGW rail to it for mounting a Leupy MK4 1.5-5 (1") on it.

I've also had it bedded, the barrel shortened to 20" and the trigger worked over.

Next I'm painting the stock and having the metal cerakoated as I really don't like stainless showing on a rifle.

It is intended to be my "truck" rifle so it'll get shot a lot and carried pretty much every where I go.

Just can't leave a rifle alone! I took some before pictures and when it's finally finished, I'll get some completed shots and post them on the board.

It is turning out to be a very handy and accurate lightweight shooter.

I'd do it all over again if they imported a lefty 6.5. </div></div>

I too have a T3 Lite stainless that ichopped to 20"s. I run a 2.5-10x24 NF on it. It is my general purpose/practical/scout/ gun. I think you are really going to like it.

PracticalTikka003.jpg

070-1.jpg