• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3X CTR vx Remington 700 5R Gen 2

TheChief

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2019
Ok, I'm setting up a compact rifle for target shooting, some hunting, and a trainer rifle for my youngest son that he will eventually use for hunting as well. I'm looking at the Tikka T3X CTR with a 20" barrel in .308 and the Remington 700 5R Gen 2 with a 20" barrel in .308. I've never handled a Tikka at all, but I've read great things about them, minus the factory stock. I've owned numerous Remingtons and barring their factory trigger they've been solid. I've read really great things about their Gen 2 5R rifles but have not shot one of them nor cycled the action on one. Anybody out there own both of them or have some further insight on either or both of them? I'm really not digging the super expensive magazines for the Tikka. If I get the Tikka I'll probably ditch the factory stock and put it in a KRG Bravo so I can use AICS mags, of which I've got plenty already. I think for a trainer rifle I'd prefer an internal magazine initially until he's competent enough to move up to a detachable mag. Thanks for any input!

I'm in the minority but I've had a lot of bad experiences with Remington's in the past 10 years. Granted I've never had the 5r gen2 so I can't give an accurate assessment on that rifle. I'd spend my money on the Tikka.

Reactions: 260284
My one hang up on Tikka's is that there's less aftermarket support. Though from what I've seen there's a lot more than there used to be for them. Also the issue of their barrels being slower than others. Running one with a 20" barrel if it was even slower than a normal 20" that would be a bit of a downside. Ever experienced slower velocities from a Tikka?

My one hang up on Tikka's is that there's less aftermarket support. Though from what I've seen there's a lot more than there used to be for them. Also the issue of their barrels being slower than others. Running one with a 20" barrel if it was even slower than a normal 20" that would be a bit of a downside. Ever experienced slower velocities from a Tikka?
Yes and no at least you can use Prefit barrels on Tikkas.

Reactions: TheChief
I would have had a lot of trouble starting out with a .308....granted i'm very recoil sensitive. I'm certainly not saying that your son might not be awesome with that stout of a caliber but at least for myself a more forgiving yet capable caliber might be easier and perhaps even better to learn on. Just a thought.

I would have had a lot of trouble starting out with a .308....granted i'm very recoil sensitive. I'm certainly not saying that your son might not be awesome with that stout of a caliber but at least for myself a more forgiving yet capable caliber might be easier and perhaps even better to learn on. Just a thought.
I've considered getting a 6.5CM however there are some good light loads out there for a .308 that have a very small amount of kick for getting used to a full sized rifle. He currently shoots my .17HMR, .22, and one of my 5.56 AR's very well. Hasn't shot anything more powerful than a 5.56 yet though. I figure light loads for the range, and full power loads for hunting. Most first time hunters don't notice recoil at all during a hunt.

I've considered getting a 6.5CM however there are some good light loads out there for a .308 that have a very small amount of kick for getting used to a full sized rifle. He currently shoots my .17HMR, .22, and one of my 5.56 AR's very well. Hasn't shot anything more powerful than a 5.56 yet though. I figure light loads for the range, and full power loads for hunting. Most first time hunters don't notice recoil at all during a hunt.

The not noticing recoil during hunting as much is a valid point but the topic of this is a rifle he can learn on to become proficient for hunting.
That means sitting at a bench most likely which is the worst position for anyone that may be recoil sensitive and were bad habits begin.
My first few deer I killed as a kid were with a 6.5x55 running factory 140 nautalus rounds in a short light rifle that was my dad's.
Even my 130tsx loads I have in 308 from a 12 pound rifle seem to have more recoil in my opinion but they certainly aren't reduced loads.
I think a 6 or 6.5mm offering would be a better option for a youngster and would most likely have a shorter learning curve but who knows everyone is different.
Regarding which rifle I would have to recommend the Tikka also.

I completely agree with this. I would not start a kid out with a .308. Based on my experience with many Remington 700's (but not the specific one you mention) and with the Tikka CTR, I would go with the 20" CTR in a 6.5 Creedmoor and get the KRG Bravo inlet for the CTR mags because they are better than the AI mags and not really that much more expensive. Less recoil, more accurate, better trigger, smoother action, better mags...what more could you want?

Bob

Reactions: 260284
I have a couple Tikka's and a Remington 700. The Tikka is a higher quality firearm in my opinion. The Remington took way more work to get close to where the Tikka was at on day one.

Aftermarket support is no longer an issue with Tikka.

My Tikka 6.5cm barrel is a touch slower on velocity but it has consistently been .5 moa or smaller with reloads.

Tikka.
And the factory stock works fine.

Your concern about slower velocities doesn't sound like it'll effect your intended use; and that's if there even is any loss.

Most large gun stores carry Tikkas. Go check out a CTR.

Tikka.
And the factory stock works fine.

Your concern about slower velocities doesn't sound like it'll effect your intended use; and that's if there even is any loss.

Most large gun stores carry Tikkas. Go check out a CTR.
I plan on getting my hands on a Tikka when I get off the rig and back to solid ground. I've had the same thoughts concerning recoil and possible reduced velocity for the Tikka barrels. Which seems to be hit or miss, depending on where you read. I woudlnt' have to do any tailoring for less recoil with a 6.5 as I've already got one of those and its seriously got very little recoil. It would also be nice to be able to take a rifle out with him that shares the same ammo if we're varmint or predator hunting. I've heard the CTR mags are nice, but I've got 12 AICS mags already so I'd probably get a KRG with the AICS inlet for a CTR. Eventually, initially I'd just keep the factory stock and put a 20MOA rail on it and call it good. I'm leaning towards the Tikka thus far. I really do wanna hold one and cycle it though. From what everyone says they're damn near magical. Plus my wife and her family are all Finnish so it would help towards convincing her ha ha ha.

Yes, my velocities are slower from my Tikkas (yes, plural), but my $1600 TacA1 shoots just as tight groups and hammers just about equal to a $3000 custom R700 I borrowed from a friend for a couple months.

The choice is yours.... a couple clicks up on elevation due to slightly decreased velocity, or possibly a couple thousand more $$ out of your pocket.

Last edited:
Tikka, it's smoother than my stiller action and the factory trigger is pretty damn good. For a kid get a 6.5, with a brake. My nephew was watching steel rams at 500 meters fall in the scope the first time he shot mine. Before that he'd only shot 22's a few times.

Tikka, it's smoother than my stiller action and the factory trigger is pretty damn good. For a kid get a 6.5, with a brake. My nephew was watching steel rams at 500 meters fall in the scope the first time he shot mine. Before that he'd only shot 22's a few times.
I've got an APA CHODE that will go on the rifle for a brake, whichever one it ends up being. Those Tac A1's are nice. Action wise those are the same as the T3X's, just with the chassis on it, correct? Yeah. a little reduced velocity is easy enough to manage. Accuracy is everything. I like the Federal loaded Berger 130's. They shoot extremely well out of my Seekins 6.5 and with minimal recoil. I've got a pile of the 95 grain Federal varmint rounds too.

It's true, there's not much of a cottage industry out there to unfuck your brand new Tikka before you've taken the first shot. Certainly not the case with Remington.

As the others have said above, give Tikka a try. You won't be sorry for a second.

-Stooxie

You can also have a stock for the remington inletted for Badger Ordnance bottom metal and run AI mags

And, yes, a 20" 308 CTR inside a KRG Bravo would be a solid rifle that would last a very long time.
I love the KRG Bravo setup. I've got two other rifles riding in those and they fit me perfectly. I've also got a Savage in a 180 Alpha from KRG and its nice as well. I'm a sucker for their equipment. Plus I get it the next day since I live pretty close to them.

Reactions: 308pirate
You can also have a stock for the remington inletted for Badger Ordnance bottom metal and run AI mags
I've looked at the Magpul Enhanced Rem 700 for that very reason. I've got a pile of mags I could already use and I can get it with a 20" 6.5 barrel. It's the only Remington that offers a 20" 6.5 barrel for some reason. That setup would save me some money on buying a new stock. The Magpul Hunter stock isn't the best out there, but it beats most factory stocks. The HS Precision for the 5R gen 2 isn't bad though. But I think i'm leaning more towards a 6.5 Cm now so that kinda eliminates the 5R Gen 2 from the runnings.

The Remington 5R rifles are fantastic shooters. I had a .308 I should have never sold. I have been behind others and they all shoot great. I prefer the gen1 models as I do not like larger bolt handles on Remingtons. They are good for binding the bolt and nothing else. The Gen 1 .308 is threaded as well.

The tikka .308 barrels are not slow barrels. Mine shoots factory FGMM 175s at 2530 while my 5R shot at 2500fps. The 6.5 tikka barrels are slow but accurate as hell and thats what matters.

The 5R 20” will have a little more weight to tame recoil. The tikka is lighter and shooting heavies will be a little stouter. Shooting 150gr loads out of a .308 is better for a young guy as the recoil is much less.

Both stocks are good. The recoil pad on the Remington needs to be replaced as it is non existent. The BDL hinged floorplate is handier for hunting duty. The Tikka stock needs 2 minutes with a dremmel to free float it. It is plenty stiff and not like crappy remington and savage plastic stocks. Magazines are not expensive like they use to be. They are the same cost as AI mags.

Tikka has a fantastic trigger. Enough said on that. The Remington triggers are crisp but heavy as hell. It needs to go.

Either way you decide is a win win.

And, yes, a 20" 308 CTR inside a KRG Bravo would be a solid rifle that would last a very long time.
Say what?
825F45A6-4BB8-4FD5-8025-0EB3039B0D20.jpeg
C6B38F27-0927-45AC-A121-9D3CDEEA8142.jpeg
C14E8C84-AFD1-42CB-A840-8ECE7704A421.jpeg

Damn, thats a nice setup. How hard was it to remove the rail on your Tikka? I've read some horror stories about that. I like to have a 20MOA rail on my rifles. How well does it balance in the KRG? I love how compact it is. Do the CTR mags still feed well in it? Thanks!
Hit it with a heat gun or hot blow dryer first Loctite on the rail and screws. I changed mine on my T3x 7mm RemMag to a 20MOA without issue. Make sure you use the absolute perfect fitting Allen key or tor-x bit for the screws.

Damn, thats a nice setup. How hard was it to remove the rail on your Tikka? I've read some horror stories about that. I like to have a 20MOA rail on my rifles. How well does it balance in the KRG? I love how compact it is. Do the CTR mags still feed well in it? Thanks!
My T3X Ctr rails came off easily. I didn’t have to heat anything. The barrels came right off by slapping the Action wrench handle with the palm of my hand. Both of them were the same. I think it’s hit or miss.

@JakeM is the trigger guard plastic on the Bravo stock that accepts ctr mags. This and the flimsy plastic magazine release are the only things I dislike about those stocks. The older bravo stocks had aluminum trigger guards. KRG switched to plastic.

Hit it with a heat gun or hot blow dryer first Loctite on the rail and screws. I changed mine on my T3x 7mm RemMag to a 20MOA without issue. Make sure you use the absolute perfect fitting Allen key or tor-x bit for the screws.
Yup. I've got a Chapman master kit that has damn near every size bit you could think of. Worth the cash for sure. Plus the bits fit my torque driver for those types of jobs.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I didn’t remove the rail, it’s pinned so I left it for strength. It’s balances very well and is surprisingly light for what it is. Yes the ctr mags feed great, love the ctr mags.

My T3X Ctr rails came off easily. I didn’t have to heat anything. The barrels came right off by slapping the Action wrench handle with the palm of my hand. Both of them were the same. I think it’s hit or miss.

@JakeM is the trigger guard plastic on the Bravo stock that accepts ctr mags. This and the flimsy plastic magazine release are the only things I dislike about those stocks. The older bravo stocks had aluminum trigger guards. KRG switched to plastic.
Yes the trigger guard is plastic, I don’t really see a down side to it though and the mag release is great.

Yes the trigger guard is plastic, I don’t really see a down side to it though and the mag release is great.
There probably isn’t one. It’s just something I’m not fond of.

Pictures of the trigger guard and mag release. I had to send these to krg because it wasn’t holding the mag in after the second round. It just came from the factory a little big, all I did was move the trigger guard forward and problem solved.
C3ADED60-734D-492C-B570-8656CDB423DD.jpeg
DDE8BD0F-D9B1-4E74-AB9E-A9B3DF5B150B.jpeg
D1DA6220-B569-4373-9445-516B6EB43271.jpeg

are the barrel/actions the same in the two rifles listed? it sounds like the later would be a great way to go if you're getting a new stock anyway.

Reactions: clcustom1911
same action, same trigger, smaller barrel but you'd be able to sell the stock, barrel, and bottom metal and get back another 150ish

thank you..... somewhat tempting, waiting to see what SHOT show brings and what will go on sale.

Thats a really good deal on that rifle. For that plus a new barrel and stock it would probably put me at about $1200 or so. Say $200 of that back from selling the parts that I took off. Wouldn't be a bad deal. But it would be a lot of extra steps. Hmmmm, stuff to think about. Pretty much set on a Tikka at this point though, so thats a good thing.

Thats a really good deal on that rifle. For that plus a new barrel and stock it would probably put me at about $1200 or so. Say $200 of that back from selling the parts that I took off. Wouldn't be a bad deal. But it would be a lot of extra steps. Hmmmm, stuff to think about. Pretty much set on a Tikka at this point though, so thats a good thing.
Buy the ctr and use the factory stock for now. You can change it out anytime later. All my Tikkas are in factory form and shoot as good as anything. I keep them like that to keep the weight down. I have other heavy rifles. You can’t buy a barrel any more accurate than the factory one anyhow.

Tikka all the way! I really like the shorter bolt throw over a Remington but that’s subjective. Tikka’s are smoother, have a better trigger which can be upgraded with a lighter spring to make it even better/lighter, have a flat/enclosed top with dowel so the 20moa rails don’t always need to be bedded like Remington’s do, Tikkas can use prefit barrels if you shoot it out and the KRG Bravo is a great inexpensive drop in & go stock, Cadex Strike Nuke is another good option, and the aftermarket support plenty now a days. what’s not to like? Tikka in a Bravo is exactly the route I went before I went to a full on custom action build. I still have the Tikka though. Seriously, it’s not even close.

I agree with everyone else, go 6.5 Creedmoor over 308, it has less recoil and is just as capable for hunting and even more capable for long range target shooting. I think Creedmoor has more ammo options than 308 now a days. For your uses, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the better option.

My Gen 2 5R 300 WM has been flawless FWIW. My gunsmith doesn't work on Tikka, so, I went the 700 route for my own convenience.

I've handled the Tikka, and they are a little smoother than my 700, but I liked the aftermarket support for the 700.

Reactions: SM7 and TheChief
My Gen 2 5R 300 WM has been flawless FWIW. My gunsmith doesn't work on Tikka, so, I went the 700 route for my own convenience.

I've handled the Tikka, and they are a little smoother than my 700, but I liked the aftermarket support for the 700.
Yeah, the aftermarket support is a big point for me too. It's what really kept Remington in the running so far. I'd have to get the magpul enhanced to have a 20" 6.5, but it comes with a lot of options for about the same price. EGW 20Moa rail, bipod, and the Magpul stock. Plus the fluted heavy 5R barrel. Decisions, decisions. I've got a buddy that will blueprint the entire rifle and add a precision recoil lug for $270 also. But then I'd need to replace the trigger. I don't do factory Remington triggers. Plus it takes the same AI mags that I already have for my Seekins 6.5 and my custom Savage.

I gotta come up to Tahoe (great drive up the 395 for me anyway) and you can shoot my Tikka 7mm RemMag. Its awesome.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Yeah, the aftermarket support is a big point for me too. It's what really kept Remington in the running so far. I'd have to get the magpul enhanced to have a 20" 6.5, but it comes with a lot of options for about the same price. EGW 20Moa rail, bipod, and the Magpul stock. Plus the fluted heavy 5R barrel. Decisions, decisions. I've got a buddy that will blueprint the entire rifle and add a precision recoil lug for $270 also. But then I'd need to replace the trigger. I don't do factory Remington triggers. Plus it takes the same AI mags that I already have for my Seekins 6.5 and my custom Savage.
I put some work mine, first thing was a Timney two stage among other things. The extractor went south after a short while, so there's an M16 in there now.

When I said flawless, I meant shooting wise. Nothing man-made is flawless...

This is 0.66" 100 yard group with 208 ELDM 75g H1000 20 thou off the lands. I'm still learning though.

IMAG4868.jpg

I put some work mine, first thing was a Timney two stage among other things. The extractor went south after a short while, so there's an M16 in there now.

When I said flawless, I meant shooting wise. Nothing man-made is flawless...

This is 0.66" 100 yard group with 208 ELDM 75g H1000 20 thou off the lands. I'm still learning though.

View attachment 7224192
I've got a blueprinted Savage custom build on a KRG 180 Alpha with a 22" Lilja barrel that is an absolute tack driver. It'll put 3 168FGMM's in a third of an inch all day at 100 yards. It's a great rifle. Yes, mankind can only build something so well, but the level of precision gets better every day. My buddy (Selkirk Custom Rifles) will blueprint any Remington I bring him, add a precision recoil lug, and an M16 extractor for $270. One reason I just might get a Rem 700. Nice having that level of support close by.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Here’s your shopping list:
20” CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor
$10.00 trigger spring.
Bore guide for cleaning rod.
Ammo.
Range Fees.

shoot the rifle, sight it in and when you start to run out of elevation in the scope, then put the 20 MOA rail on it.
The Tikka factory trigger is better than a lot of aftermarket triggers for the 700, the $10 spring lightens the pull weight. By the time you figure out the factory stock doesn’t fit the, new MDT might be available in a Tikka inlet.
The aftermarket for the Tikka isn’t as huge as the Remmy 700 is because there’s not as much that needs changing.

I have the 6.5 CTR in a bravo chassis, and it's a peach! Before buying the Yodave spring, try adjusting the factory trigger. It's an amazing piece!! Here's where mine measures on it's lightest adjustment

Attachments

• KRG Bravo-1-2.jpg
    KRG Bravo-1-2.jpg
    858.4 KB · Views: 65
I have the 6.5 CTR in a bravo chassis, and it's a peach! Before buying the Yodave spring, try adjusting the factory trigger. It's an amazing piece!! Here's where mine measures on it's lightest adjustment
Exactly. I dont have a fancy spring in either of my rifles. The stock trigger is just fine for me at a c-hair under 2 pounds.

Reactions: Overkillphil