• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tikka T3x Superlite 6.5 Cr. won't chamber Nosler 142gr. AccuBond Long-Range

Barrnone

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2020
Hi All, I've just recently got my T3x Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor up and running and am trying to find the best commercial load for the rifle in preparation for hunting season. Today was my second day at the range with it. First day was spent zeroing the scope and I put 18 Hornady American Whitetail 129gr Interlock down range. Good groups of 3, best at about .75" at 100 yds using a Lead Sled. Was back today and put another bunch of Hornady American Whitetail and Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X down range this time using just a bi-pod; was able to get some 1 MOA groups (its me not the rifle). BUT when I tried to load the Nosler 6.5 Creedmoor 142Gr AccuBond LongRange I was unable to chamber the round. Cartridges went in the Mag just fine, but I could not close the bolt on them. Tried multiple cartridges. Finally, went back to Hornady to make sure something hadn't happened, and the Hornady fired fine.

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong? Why won't the Noslers load? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Sounds like brass of the neck is too long to chamber. Normally if the problem is a bullet ogive engaging the rifling, closing the bolt will simply push the bullet further back into the case. There will be resistance, but not an inability to close the bolt.

Thanks that's good information, I'll inspect the cartridges with some calipers.

Is this a common thing? I would have thought that chamber dimensions and cartridge specs (especially among the top manufacturers) would be pretty spot on from manufacturer to manufacturer... I guess what I'm ultimately worried about is is there an issue/safety issue with the rifle like headspacing, something I should be looking into with Tikka or a gunsmith, or does this kind of thing just happen with certain rifle/ammo combinations and I should just move on to ammo that works for my rifle.

Again, much thanks for the feedback.

I would guess (all we can do) its headspace as even tight chambers have plenty space for neck length...
If it’s OAL you will easily see the lands engraving on the bullets