• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TIKKA vs. AI

I think AI is up to 182 Countries that use the Rifle ...

How's that savage count going ?

Out of curiosity, I Googled how many countries there are in the world today. The answer I got was 195, so 182 seemed a tad high. So I checked AI’s site, and they say “more than 60 countries.” So assuming those numbers are accurate, 182 is a wee bit high… 🤣

Regardless, that’s damn near a third of all countries on earth that are AI customers! That’s stupid ridiculous, and speaks to just how good the rifles are in filling their intended role!

They may get technical too and say, "Currently" who uses them vs anything previous or unrecognized, they would stand on actively using vs having them in various other roles.

if anyone would, AI would definitely understate the facts on the ground or play very, very safe with the terminology, in Current Use there are 60... meanwhile, historically speaking, or from a stealth perspective, a lot more are on the books

Sometimes too, certain manufacturers don't want to advertise a few less than desirable places that bought them. Nobody wants to say, Syria has them, or now, Afghanistan, stuff like that tends to stay quiet

How many people have a national budget to spend?

tenor (9).gif

I see pics all the time of countries you would never think of, that field AI rifles. I saved this pic from a while back. Almost sure it's the Philippians

1631317395951.png

Going down the bolt action rabbit hole again.

TIKKA CTR in a CAXEX field chassis or AI AT thumbhole? Looks like the AI will come out about 1lb over the Tikka but also about $1200-1500 more

Another option is just getting a Bergara HMR or HMR PRO for $900/$1600 and playing with that for a while
Tikka. High reliability. And cheaper than AI with a lots of upgrades.

I love my Tikka, as well as my Sako

That said, for the price of a AI I have a hard time when I could do a full on custom build for the same or less

I wonder how much of the AI price is because it’s governments who arnt spending their own money who buy them, and folks who are into the whole “well the military uses it” thing.

I’d love a AI, but price point I look at the other options and it’s hard for me to go AI

The Tikka has the advantage of more options and can be customized to how ever you like it.

The AI has the advantage its an AI and you don't have to do anything other than feed it ammo.

There are some guys who don't like the AI ergonomic or the chassis for PRS type events, hence the release of the AT-X.

If you don't really know what you want the Tikka will be less money upfront and allow you to change things as you learn.
But if you are happy with the AT ergonomics and know that it'll do what you want, other than cost there is no reason not to get the AI.

If you do get the AI make sure you top it with an ATACR so then you can be the guy on the range who tells everyone you have an AI and a NF, make friends instantly.

For an AI owner, if u don't like the AT or AX chassis, you can always get an Accuracy Obsession chassis or whenevr the atx chassis is available.

Reactions: reubenski
For an AI owner, if u don't like the AT or AX chassis, you can always get an Accuracy Obsession chassis or whenevr the atx chassis is available.

If you buy an AT you can upgrade to the ATX going forward too, but that won't be a $3k rifle...its a $5K rifle one way or the other...

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Gotta say I think Tikka and Sako are already really nice for a newbie like me. Hopefully I will save enough money down the road for an AI if I see the need.
I don't mean to offend, but based on your OP and follow-up comments/questions, you might benefit from either keeping what you have (or buying the Tikka, can't tell if you are starting fresh or upgrading) and spend the difference on ammo and a training course or two.

We all want cool toys, but in my area a lot of the AI guys are like the Jeep guys. All show no go, with complete shit fundamentals who wasted a lot of money buying a gun they'll never be able to fully utilize.

I don't mean to offend, but based on your OP and follow-up comments/questions, you might benefit from either keeping what you have (or buying the Tikka, can't tell if you are starting fresh or upgrading) and spend the difference on ammo and a training course or two.

We all want cool toys, but in my area a lot of the AI guys are like the Jeep guys. All show no go, with complete shit fundamentals who wasted a lot of money buying a gun they'll never be able to fully utilize.
I totally agree. I think what I have out shoots me any day and I have no plan to go compete any time soon. AI is price such that only serious (or rich) shooters will consider. I still consider myself a recreational shooter who just want to learn a skill. RPR, Tikka T3x, Sako S20 all shoot extremely well for me. Like you said, buying ammo and practicing will improve my skill. Buying a gun won’t.

AI is price such that only serious (or rich) shooters will consider.
AI is priced like it is because its designed to be used for 100,000 rounds in an institutional environment, over 20 years with maybe 10 or 12 different end users, etc.

Lets do some math:

100k of 300 win mag = 50x$1,000 barrels (at 2000rnd ea) and $2/per round x100k ammo = $250,000
100k of 308 = 20 barrels (@5000 rnd ea) and $1/rnd x100k ammos= $120,000

Now tell me why .MIL should care again about the $2-3K cost of the action? Consider the cost of training, consumables, repairs...etc over 20 years...

Because there is value to the end user they are willing so share (ie pay) to outside suppliers that make their money go further and do the job better. This is why there is a market for truly high end gear.

None of this "business logic" applies to civilian end users.

Reactions: Nik H
I love Tikka rifles -- I have a full custom Tikka in my safe right now.

But the choice the OP has presented is not a difficult one for me.

I would choose the AI every day and twice on Sundays.

I feel like the two choices are not even a fair comparison.

Reactions: VargmatII
Big difference between "which is better" and "which is better for ME"...

Since OP is looking for himself, and didn't ask which is better in general, you need to look at HIS needs. Unfortunately he didn't state those up front, but we can infer that he's probably fairly new since he's comparing an AI to a Tikka CTR + upgrades.

So, cheaper rifle that will still outshoot you plus ammo and training is the smart decision. AI is the ego decision.

Then again, maybe this dude is loaded and doesn't care about the cost....

Like others have stated. If the OP just wants a plinking rifle or hunting rifle or a rarely used match rifle, the tikka fits all of those jobs just fine. You don't HAVE to get an AI. If money ain't a problem and he wants the do all rifle that will be a true work horse and comes with all the perks of the AI, then yea, pass on the tikka and get the AI

Reactions: Blueoval56
That's a good point ☝️ before I bought an AI I was having random misses frequently. I would accidentally hit all sorts of weird stuff with those (not me) misses. I hit a boat. I hit a watermelon truck. One time I hit a cow that was grazing 100yds behind me. That Tikka missed completely 180 degrees from where I had expertly aimed it.

Thank God I got an AI.
Never said the tikka wouldn't. They are fine rifles and he would be well served by one. The AI is better though.

The question is, is it better for him?

I'v
I think AI is up to 182 Countries that use the Rifle ...

How's that savage count going
Get the AI.
And please spend the dollars and put a decent scope on it.
after buying an AI; I think the next post should be
Which glass should I put on my rifle? Budget would limit glass to a Leapers UTG BugBuster 3-9x32mm or a Tasco Sportsmant 3-9 X 40

Last edited:
I'v

Which glass should I put on my rifle? Budget would limit glass to a Leapers UTG BugBuster 3-9x32mm or a Tasco Sportsmant 3-9 X 40

The answer would be, Buy a March, TT or ZCO scope
Or if you are poor, then get a used S&B to have the minimum allowable scope to be put on your AI without being called a poor.

Ended up picking up a black AI AT folder in 6.5 from Scopelist for a good price. Officially on the wagon.

Tasco vs UTG for the glass? Trying to sniper stuff at 7 miles away

Also - Any recs for an extended front bipod mount? Had one picked out a while ago but cant seem to remember the name

S&B and AI is like peanut butter and jelly. They just go together well. A classic combination.

Because in the beginning that's what AI rifles usually came with and S&B had some custom turrents and such done to match the AI.
Back when the AI first became a thing with the AW and the AWSM, S&B was kind of the latest and greatest if you wanted a military rated tactical scope.
That was also when a new S&B scope was about $3k MSRP

Reactions: Basher
Regarding the bipod mount -- I would suggest the full length Arca rail -- sticks out a few inches from the front of the stock.

Super strong / sturdy because of AI's "key" mounting system

Spend the dollars on decent glass.
Otherwise it's like having a hot Babe that lays there like a sack of spuds.
Max out the potential of the combined system.
A great rifle with awesome optics.
Then all you have to do is work out the best handload, and try and get your technique on par.
RocknRolla!

Going down the bolt action rabbit hole again.

TIKKA CTR in a CAXEX field chassis or AI AT thumbhole? Looks like the AI will come out about 1lb over the Tikka but also about $1200-1500 more

Another option is just getting a Bergara HMR or HMR PRO for $900/$1600 and playing with that for a while

Ended up picking up a black AI AT folder in 6.5 from Scopelist for a good price. Officially on the wagon.

Tasco vs UTG for the glass? Trying to sniper stuff at 7 miles away
Trolling.......or not?

I just strapped on a Minox ZP5 and for what I paid for it, its incredible. Tip top tier glass and IMO, the best reticle on the market for a much lower price than what u would pay for the level of scope this thing plays with. Ive always loved my razor Gen II's but the glass in this zp5 crushes it.

I just strapped on a Minox ZP5 and for what I paid for it, its incredible. Tip top tier glass and IMO, the best reticle on the market for a much lower price than what u would pay for the level of scope this thing plays with. Ive always loved my razor Gen II's but the glass in this zp5 crushes it.
The Minox ZP5 ($3100) is right in the price range of nightforce ATACR 7x35 ($3600) .. just curious - what made you go with the Minox?

Bt da nIgHtForCe iz build lke a TANK!!!!
NF is like a rally car, where they start with an econo-box and make it a racecar.

It blows away your average civic/camry optics but its never gonna be a ferrari

It will get your ass on time and on target to the grocery store, tho :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
The Minox ZP5 ($3100) is right in the price range of nightforce ATACR 7x35 ($3600) .. just curious - what made you go with the Minox?

They can be had for much cheaper than the 7-35 NF, and as stated, they have better glass than the NF. With that said, the 7-35 ain't no slouch in the glass department either.

Agreed. Glass quality is important but it isn't everything. The NF ATACR glass is good enough that I can move on to other necessary scope characteristics. Some guys get wrapped up in optical quality like they're scientists. Hell, I just won a match this weekend with an Athlon. And not by a narrow margin.
#facts

Honestly, even though the Minox has better glass and reticle, if I could've gotten a 7-35 for the same price, I probably would have gotten it instead. But I'm super happy about the ZP5. The MR4 has been my favorite reticle since it came out.

I need an SUV,

Kia or Porsche, I see a lot more Kia's on the street, I mean luggage capacity is the same, but the Kia is priced right for me...

Asking for a friend, which car is better suited for long distance driving, too and from work hauling the occasional groceries from my King Soopers 2.3 Miles away. I get buy once, cry once, but what am I REALLY GETTING IN RETURN?

after you drive either one for more than a week you will know the difference

ones like driving a big 911 and the other isnt