• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka vs. Origin

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Really want a nice fast twist .223. Mostly target shooting with some rare varminting. Wondering if I should go with a Varmint or CTR 223 (24") or go with an Origin and get some kind of prefit (they do make those correct?). I like to avoid having to have a smith do anything. I'm sure I could handle screwing on a barrel and checking with gauges. Would be running 75/77gr stuff but would also like to play with some 80+gr stuff for local F class and PRS.
Can't seem to find any Tikkas for sale currently anyways, looks like I'll be waiting either way.
Thoughts/Considerations?

*If you can justify the cost difference between the two* Then definitely get an Origin, or also a Nucleus like others have suggested

Reactions: vinniedelpino
Not sure of forum sponsors, but gunzonedeals has Tikkas in semi-regularly for about $600 for a sporter barrel or $800 for a varmint 223 (8 twist can run semi heavies) . You can sell off the barrel and stock for $150-200…you WILL need a barrel vise and action wrench. Tikka triggers are great with a reduced spring. Crown Ridge has done a number of barrels for me for both my Tikkas and Origins. You would be a step up with an Origin and a Triggertech, but you could do the Tikka action/trigger for about half the price.

Origin is a better investment. You can change the bolt head and have a larger cartridges out of the same rifle if his plans change down the road. More stocks and trigger options for 700 footprint actions. OP you dont need to check head space as you can get shouldered prefit barrels.

And OP if wanting to shoot TAC in PRS you can't shoot the 80+grn bullets. It will put you in open even with a .223. 77grn max and 3000fps max velocity.

I'm a sucker for Tikka. I have a Varmint in 223 that I shoot SMK 77 out to 1000y all the time, with success.

Now when I build my 22 CM next year I'll be using the Mausingfield.

Origin is a better investment. You can change the bolt head and have a larger cartridges out of the same rifle if his plans change down the road. More stocks and trigger options for 700 footprint actions. OP you dont need to check head space as you can get shouldered prefit barrels.

And OP if wanting to shoot TAC in PRS you can't shoot the 80+grn bullets. It will put you in open even with a .223. 77grn max and 3000fps max velocity.
I would still check, you know, the HUMAN error....

I'm a sucker for Tikka. I have a Varmint in 223 that I shoot SMK 77 out to 1000y all the time, with success.

Now when I build my 22 CM next year I'll be using the Mausingfield.

If you used an Origin to start with all you would need to build that 22CM would be a barrel and a bolt face. 😉

And you can check HS if you want but I trust my smith. Lol

Huge Tikka fan as well- I’ve got a 20” .223 CTR that hammers with 40-75 gr projectiles. It’s one of my favorite rifles.

Reactions: godofthunder
Holy crap friggin moron.

That is all.

Origin.
Check headspace. Yer face and stuff is worth it.

My smith said “I really love those actions” and there is enough differences action to action on the Origin to check HS every time.
He has been building lasers for a long time.
I trust his wisdom implicitly.

Finally stopped fixing up 700s and bought a Nucleus this year. If the Origin is similar it will be an easy decision to take either one of them.

Since I started by going the Nucleus route, may stay with it. Like it a lot so far.

Easy ..... the Origin gets so much love for a really good reason. It's awesome and a whole lot of bang for the buck. As others have said, you also have the easy button for anything else you ever decide to do with it, and re-sell on an origin is rock solid.

Reactions: John Glidewell
So you a smith making a living spinning barrels there Rob?

Didnt think so.

So, can you two guys provide a list of all the Origins you have hung barrels on and how many a prefit stub didnt HS on? So a little adjustment on the lathe to make it correct.

Yep.

You guys both add a lot of good info to a lot of tech threads.
This isnt one of those moments.

Another vote for the Origin they are awesome.

Didnt think so.

So, can you two guys provide a list of all the Origins you have hung barrels on and how many a prefit stub didnt HS on? So a little adjustment on the lathe to make it correct.

Yep.

Did I say I was a smith? Nope. Said I trusted mine. Do as you like and I will also.

See how you can make a post and not call people names?

If you used an Origin to start with all you would need to build that 22CM would be a barrel and a bolt face. 😉

And you can check HS if you want but I trust my smith. Lol
In one you say no need.
Another you trust your smith.

Just because your action works, doesnt mean they all do.
And did your smith have your action in hand when they spun the first barrel?
Then its not really a prefit.

And yeah.
But sometimes Im so appalled I do.
Not my norm.

Last edited:
Reactions: cornhusker86
And where did I say I was a smith? Oh yeah. No where. Lol Try again. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
OP you dont need to check head space as you can get shouldered prefit barrels.
Whoa, Rob you've given good advice for a long time, are you really sure you want yer name on that? Sorry, that's just bad.

In one you say no need.
Another you trust your smith.

Just because your action works, doesnt mean they all do.
And did your smith have your action in hand when they spun the first barrel?
Then its not really a prefit.

And yeah.
But sometimes Im so appalled I do.
Not my norm.

Ok now I can answer you edit which wasn’t there. No he did not. Neither barrel of the two spun up. Both work great on two different actions.

Ok here you guys go:

DISCLAIMER!!!! Always check your headspace. Check it all the time. Don’t trust anyone!!!!

Happy? Lol

Reactions: 308pirate
Who sells these origin rifles?

I’m having the same debate myself. Would really like that tikka t3x varmint in .223. But can’t find them anywhere. About to spend a few more bucks and go with an origin.

So we have a tikka build and and origin build. Fwiw i felt i spent too much on the tikka but it does feel great. I do think the origin is the better investment. I personally like the feel of our tikka better but the bolt lift or the origin. All my bighorns were a little prone to binding if you run them off axis. Not really a big deal just a side note.

When i started the tikka build for the GF it wa supposed to be more budget oriented in terms of the action. Well here is the parts list.

Tikka Receiver + Trigger: $300
LRI Tikka bolt: $375
Mountain tactical bolt stop: $40
Mountain tactical 20 MOA rail: $60
Kampfield fluting: $75
T-coat: $250

Pretty much got an $1100 semi custom action by the time it was said and done. Don’t get me wrong. It feels like a custom. Chad’s bolt with a good coating would fool most people. But given the money I could’ve gotten a Mack bros evo or origin and saved a couple hundred easy. Issue would’ve been sourcing a prefit for the evo but that action for the money is the smoothest action I’ve ever felt. It’s ridiculous how cheap the evo is for how good it feels.

Didnt think so.

Yep.

I have an Origin and 2 TL3s, had 2 prefits that did not headspace. One was out by .003".

Check head space, always.

If I had a buck for every person I've seen waste money on gun stuff for "competition" without checking whether it's even acceptable I'd be wealthy.

I have several Origin actions and several 8 twist TIkka 223s. If your wanting to save a little $$ find a varmint, Tactical, CTR, etc and throw it in a KRG bravo and go shoot. No need to replace the barrel. If you want a custom its hard to beat the Origin for the value that it provides, not only in the initial low entry cost but the ability to change bolt heads. With that being said the Tikka action is no slouch and I really can't think of a better factory barreled action set up out there for under $1500 that will do what you describe. I have an Origin action I initially bought to build a 223 custom. However, after fiddling and shooting the T3 tactical I bought as a "placeholder" I have yet to build that custom gun and instead will be using the Origin for something else. In my mind you buy the Tikka rifles with the intent of shooting out the barrel. If you plan is to buy and immediately replace the barrel with something else, then I'd look toward the custom action route.

Not sure of forum sponsors, but gunzonedeals has Tikkas in semi-regularly for about $600 for a sporter barrel or $800 for a varmint 223 (8 twist can run semi heavies) . You can sell off the barrel and stock for $150-200…you WILL need a barrel vise and action wrench. Tikka triggers are great with a reduced spring. Crown Ridge has done a number of barrels for me for both my Tikkas and Origins. You would be a step up with an Origin and a Triggertech, but you could do the Tikka action/trigger for about half the price.
This is what I did. Origin, barrel and TT from crown ridge.

Best money I’ve spent on a barreled action.

That's awesome they are just over an hour away from me. Thanks
Hopefully you live in God’s country part of NE and not near the 2 crap holes (nearly 1 now).

For all its worth, my next action (if not a Pre64) is an Origin.

They are darn good and budget friendly.

Reubenski has convinced me a switch barrel is worth it with his posts on the matter.

Reactions: louu
That's awesome they are just over an hour away from me. Thanks

Cool. Josh is good people and here on the Hide as Bohem so you can talk to him here too. Known him before he was smithing and just shooting matches but he is a very detailed oriented smith and knows his stuff. Definitely worth talking to him.

@bohem

Reactions: louu
All of these comments about an Origin not headspacing... and not one has bothered mentioned the barrel's make / machining and blame the action straight away.

Food for thought.

Big Horn / Zermatt has some of the absolute best CS in the industry. You likely will never need it, but it is there and top notch.

Any recommendations for a shoulder prefit for the Origin? I think I'll probably get whichever I can find first and then get the other later. I really want a Tikka and a Origin. The changing bolt faces is really cool. Any other custom actions comprable to the origin price wise?

PVA mentioned above does great prefits.

There are some others like the Defiance Tenacity in that price range you can look at but don’t have the easily swapped bolt face if changing calibers in the same set up down the road is something you would be interested in.

Hopefully you live in God’s country part of NE and not near the 2 crap holes (nearly 1 now).

For all its worth, my next action (if not a Pre64) is an Origin.

They are darn good and budget friendly.

Reubenski has convinced me a switch barrel is worth it with his posts on the matter.
Definitely not God's country, more like Satan's kitchen, New Jersey. I'm close to patriot arms that Rob linked.
Cool. Josh is good people and here on the Hide as Bohem so you can talk to him here too. Known him before he was smithing and just shooting matches but he is a very detailed oriented smith and knows his stuff. Definitely worth talking to him.

@bohem
I definitely want to do a lot more hands on research before I do my next move with bolt action stuff. I have a Tikka in a mdt acc right now. It's a nice rifle but I want a different caliber and don't think I want to rebarrel this. I'll probably sell the ACC and start over. I want to put the Tikka back in the original stock because it's the roughtech and it would make a really good hunting rifle.

Reactions: Rob01
Other than the changeable bolt heads on the origin is there any performance gain vs the tikka. Can I expect better accuracy if I was to buy a prefit from someone like pva for both an origin and tikka? Smoother better feeding in odd cartridges like the BR? I love my tikka and was planning on building a second but want to make sure sticking with the tikka I’m not leaving anything on the table.

You are leaving better triggers, control feed and mechanical ejection, toolless bolt breakdown

PVA mentioned above does great prefits.

There are some others like the Defiance Tenacity in that price range you can look at but don’t have the easily swapped bolt face if changing calibers in the same set up down the road is something you would be interested in.
You can get a complete bolt assembly from Defiance for a Tenacity action for $275. Just a bolt head from Zermatt/Bighorn is $125.

If you have the cash available, get the Origin and build it.

I have a 223 Tikka, and I think it's awesome, but price was a big consideration when I put my 223 together.

All of these comments about an Origin not headspacing... and not one has bothered mentioned the barrel's make / machining and blame the action straight away.
Goes to show how little so many here understand about what they comment on.

Reactions: Supersubes
You can get a complete bolt assembly from Defiance for a Tenacity action for $275. Just a bolt head from Zermatt/Bighorn is $125.

I thought you could get a different bolt but wasn't sure. Thought it was more like $350 but that might have been for another action.

Reactions: Millron
Other than the changeable bolt heads on the origin is there any performance gain vs the tikka. Can I expect better accuracy if I was to buy a prefit from someone like pva for both an origin and tikka? Smoother better feeding in odd cartridges like the BR? I love my tikka and was planning on building a second but want to make sure sticking with the tikka I’m not leaving anything on the table.

As mentioned you get the ton of 700 compatible parts like triggers and stocks/chassis. And yes a custom barrel will give you better performance. Some factory barrels shoot good but some don't. Better percentage of custom barrels will shoot much better than factory barrels.