• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tilley Hat, Buy Or Not?

Worth the price of admission. Bought one in Hawaii on my honeymoon in 97 and had it until 2017 when I lost it when I rolled my kayak. Don't take out the foam if you don't want it to sink. I took out the foam. Bought a new one and still have it.

My first one didn't have the snaps. Different model.

I roll Marlin Perkins style. 🤠

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2157.jpeg

Ball caps are my goto but they don't protect the back of your neck unless you run bubba style. Usually not a problem unless fishing or shooting.

Last edited:
I have 2, both LTM6. One camo, one tan. My wife has same colors, 1 LTM6 and one LTM5

Mom still uses the first one I bought 20 years ago, also an LTM6. She's too cheap to buy her own, wouldn't let me buy her one, but would accept the one I already had.

Absolutely essential piece of gear. I am rarely without one on my head or in the truck. Guaranteed for life, including loss if you registered it.

Also floats. Really handy when it blows off your head while fishing.

Worth the price of admission. Bought one in Hawaii on my honeymoon in 97 and had it until 2017 when I lost it when I rolled my kayak. Don't take out the foam if you don't want it to sink. I took out the foam. Bought a new one and still have it.

My first one didn't have the snaps. Different model.

I roll Marlin Perkins style. 🤠

View attachment 7639461

View attachment 7639439

Ball caps are my goto but they don't protect the back of your neck unless you run bubba style. Usually not a problem unless fishing or shooting.
Did you know that the guarantee covers loss. ...or it used to.

Guaranteed for life, including loss if you registered it.
Only for the first year. I tried to claim it when I lost mine in the lake.
Did you know that the guarantee covers loss. ...or it used to.
I called and they said it only covered the first year, IIRC. I can't find it on their website today as well. Only the lifetime guarantee. On the hat it says "Insured Against Loss, Guaranteed For Life".

Reactions: Maggot
I stand corrected. Two years according to this source and it's at a 50% deductible and or credit. Depending on how you look at it.

Insured Against Loss – 2 Years, All Perils

Tilley understands how devastating it is to lose this reliable companion. Whether it is left on a park bench or destroyed by your family pet . . . Tilley will replace your damaged Hat or Cap at half the current catalog price.

This insurance applies only to a Tilley Hat or Cap with the exact same style for half the current catalog price, plus taxes and shipping. If you would like another style, Tilley will credit 50% of the current catalogue price for the style you lost.

“To claim under the insurance policy – send your Straight-Shooter’s Statement of Loss form, (which should be in the left side of your bottom dresser drawer, if you followed Alex Tilley’s advice) OR send us a valid proof-of-purchase (which can be, either, a copy of the original sales [receipt] or a copy of the credit card statement with purchase circled – please be sure to block out credit card number). Include your name, address, phone number, email, model number, color, size, and method of payment.”

Reactions: Tono
I have an OG Tilley and don't give a flying fuck what it looks like when I'm crabbing on the Chesapeake Bay all day in 100 degree weather.

Mine doesn't have the snaps....fuck, I'd like some snaps. But I'd like some smash too and that ain't happening at 68 y .o. either! haha

Arnt they made in Canada?

Personally I’d go with local knowledge, might be a reason so many South American and island people wear straw hats

Uh....they can't afford a Tilley? Maybe? haha

Maybe, but in the heat, like it feels as if there is a heat lamp right over your head, straw hats rock

Or go the other way and get a African bush hat, but between heavy leather and the straw, I like the straw

Maybe, but in the heat, like it feels as if there is a heat lamp right over your head, straw hats rock

Or go the other way and get a African bush hat, but between heavy leather and the straw, I like the straw
I actually know a guy who shoots skeet in long black pants, white long sleeve shirt, and a REAL pith helmet made of cork, I believe.

this is in Maryland in August!!

the deal w the real pith helmets is you soak them in water until saturated and as it evaps out of the cork it cools your head.

he’s a super nice guy but yeah...pith helmet on skeet field does look kind of goofy. But his head was cool while my brains were boiling. LOL

Reactions: TurboTrout
I have an LMT6. Its a great hat, but a bit overpriced. If you live somewhere super hot, the "airflow" part of it is not that great. I bought an LL Bean Aussie Breezer hat. It is MUCH cooler, less expensive, and about 90% the quality of the Tilley.
1622770521481.png

Finally a topic I can actually profess to be an expert on!! And a little late to the party but...the short answer is Yes. If you actually buy the hat and wear it, these hats can significantly decrease both UV-induced skin cancers, photo-aging (wrinkles), and ocular damage. Sunprecautions, Coolibar, and Tilley have been in the business decades; and the newcomers (uvskinz, underarmour) don't quite measure up IMHO. Of the big three originals, Tilley offers the best selection, option, and guarantee for hats. Make your purchase with confidence. The fact so many SH members possess Tilleys or similar indicates an overall superior level of awareness and intelligence.

I'd go with a sombrero for the ultimate flats fishing hat. Zip up that chin cord and yer good to go...

Attachments

• sombrero.jpg
    sombrero.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I've never cared what anyone thinks of my fashion sense, or lack thereof. I started wearing an Ultimate hat in my 20s (Don't know if they're still around). Bought my Tilley 20 years ago and still love it! It's a tool, that works pretty good for it's intended purpose. Function over form?? I've never worn it to a wedding, but working/playing outside, it's a must in my life!

Reactions: Maggot
I go thru a Boonie hat a year, they work just fine and are a fraction of the cost of some of these “old gentleman’s hats”.

How much does 23 boonie hats cost? Cause I have been wearing the first Tilley I ever bought for 23 years, and it doesn't show any signs of giving out anytime soon.

Just gots an email from owner of Prairie Flower Leather Co.

Might give one of these a shot...

1622863757729.png

1622863801545.png

100% return policy....Ive bought one oaf his EGAs they are good early repros.

Says he has built these covers for USMC museums ....Ill see.

Next time just buy that hat. Your questions cost me money.

I may try one of them one day.
I'd really prefer a pith helmet with a long neck cover but you know those are hard to get these days.

In any case I'd need it to be for super hot weather.

How much does 23 boonie hats cost? Cause I have been wearing the first Tilley I ever bought for 23 years, and it doesn't show any signs of giving out anytime soon.
Congrats! I thought you gentlemen weren’t worried about cost? I use a boonie for practicality. Maybe not one a year......

Got my Tilley hat last week....

image.jpg

Good thing is its probably the same quality as issued to the enlisted Marines of the WWI time.

The bad thing is it's the same quality as issued to the enlisted Marines of the WWI time.

Thing came looking like a hot mess.

Had to spend some quality time with a steamer getting it to look any ways presentable.

Even still needs some time outdoors under weather to get out a few wrinkles via shrinkage.

Digging the double thick brim detail.....

image.jpg

Needs some felt stiffener if Im going to block it right.

Color is WWI period, wouldn't match today's olive colored covers.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
I'll share a bit of irony;
since posting here, I've been looking for mine (grass cutting time) I've been asking my wife if she'd maybe "put it away"? So after a few months of the ole boonie I broke down and ordered another Tilley air flow. As soon as I opened it she went and found my old one in a tote of her purses (I guess I should have looked there 1st??) So now I have a crisp new one for play and my 25 year old one for yard work!
And, I'll be wearing the new one to a casual outdoor wedding this month!

Seems like a lot of us like our Tilley's and Ill bet others would if we had a :snipers-logo: edition. A Tilley is an investment.

@lowlight ?

Tilley Hat, Buy Or Not? Are they worth the hype or is there something better?
Shopping for a nice hat, buy once cry once that will protect against sun and moderate rain and with good ventilation for Florida and fishing.
Anything else to consider other than a Tilley. Which Tilley?
Screenshot_20210704-203119_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Tilly's are tough. They just don't wear quickly. Wash it when it gets dirty and they look like new. I'd like mine to look a little more worn in, but it just won't. Shape stays and material rebounds back even after stuffing it in a pocket or a purse. See above. 🤠