• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time between Groups?

TestnDoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2012
Pensacola, FL
Hey guys, I've had my AI AXMC 308 for a few weeks now, but due to a death in the family, I have not been able to shoot any. I plan to test a lot of different ammo this week, shooting 5 shot groups. My question is, how long of a cool down period, if any, should I have between each 5 shot group? I will be shooting 100 yards from a bench. Thanks.

You will good to just take your time and fire 3-5 rounds. By the time you walk down to check target and back you will be good for another 3-5...repeat.

Shoot your 5 then wait until you can grab and hold the barrel for as long as you want without it being uncomfortable, then repeat.

I just go out and start shooting here in Arizona in our 105* muggy monsoon weather. Stop to wipe my brow and load my 10 magazines for my AI AXMC308. Great fun and very accurate with hand loads. Got to 1275 yards with the 36" 260 barrel, hitting 14" steel plate about 40% of the time. Hope you'll get much more time in the future to enjoy the great 2 stage trigger!

You'll have to see for yourself if accuracy degrades with heat in your rifle. My precision rifle does not have any real issues with heating up and losing accuracy. I've shot 20-30 rounds without any significant break in between, and it still hammers 1/2 MOA vertical or better. Barrel was VERY hot.

For group testing, I generally still do the method of letting it get cool enough that I can grab & hold it comfortably. for "fairness".

I usually shoot 2 5 shot groups in the 15 minute intervals my club range allows. 1 minute or so between shots the 3-4 minutes before the 2nd 5 shot group.

You will good to just take your time and fire 3-5 rounds. By the time you walk down to check target and back you will be good for another 3-5...repeat.

That's what I do. Keeping it from getting too hot is more effective than trying to cool it down.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/e43f3fd0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I used to take about 1 or 2 minutes between shots for a 5 shot group then 5 min in between groups, out of frustration once after I ruined the 6....5 shot group game On the 5th one , I shot the sixth group fast , basically fire, rack bolt,set fire again.....best group I ever shot....for me to much time in between allows me to slightly change things , grip, squeeze , cheek weld....enough to affect groups...whereas if I get a good rhythm
They stay tight...then take how ever much time you want in between groups
Sean

Wow... I must be doing it wrong...

I shoot groups as fast as I can aim and practice the fundamentals.

Wow... I must be doing it wrong...

I shoot groups as fast as I can aim and practice the fundamentals.

On the contrary, you are doing it exactly right
Just took me a while to understand why.I was overly concerned with barrel heat affecting groups. It is even more important at long range , if your waiting minutes in between shots the wind is gonna play hell on those groups.

Practice sessions for me are six 5-shot groups, shooting continuously over a period of 30 minutes. I am trying to mentally and physically simulate (FTR) match conditions, no break, watching wind, executing and trying to note errors when I make them. The barrel gets hot, way too hot to hold onto, but it needs to be able to tolerate that and keep delivering half MOA.

I then rest a few minutes, switch rifles and shoot more. After the FTR gun has cooled some, I will shoot it again. This is after being hammered by the other rifle, a .300WSM; afterwards I can check myself for recoil shyness with the 308. I always let them cool before I put them back in the case, they're hot as blazes.

No brakes.

Last edited:
When shooting my 308, I used to wait up to 3 minutes in between shots. Then I realized that was bullshit. Now its about 30 seconds to 1 minute MAX. Different calibers require more time. Fast cartridges, say a 7mm mag for example, needs at least 2 minutes+ in between shots. Or youll experience less barrel life.