• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time Between Shots

AJM45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm going to be shooting my new Rem 5R .308 using FGMM ammo. I'm a novice at long range shooting, and this rifle only has about 10 rounds through it. Although I cleaned between each of the first 10 shots in an effort to "break it in," after further consideration I'm not going to bother with that going forward. Pain in the ass and I just don't want to deal with it. I want to shoot the damn thing, so that's what I'm going to do. I'll clean it when I get home.

I suspect that fretting too much about wait time between shots falls into the same category as breaking in the barrel. But, I want my practice to be productive, which means I want the rifle to shoot consistently so I know when I'm making progress.

Obviously I plan to take my time and be careful with each shot, and I plan to rest briefly between groups, but beyond that do I need to worry about letting the barrel cool between shots?

How long do I need to wait?

Am I going to damage or put more wear on the barrel if I just shoot the piss out of the thing during the precious little range time I get (I'm lucky to get a couple hours a week)?

Thanks.

Re: Time Between Shots

Just shoot the damn thing. When it gets too hot (too hot to put the back of your hand touching it) then let it cool down. There is no need to worry about certain amount of time off between shots.

I don't break in my barrel either and my 308 shoots just fine.

I've been known to run 10 rounds in under 1 minute - as long as you shoot no faster then that you'll be fine . . . in other words quit pondering and shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timberwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . in other words quit pondering and shoot </div></div>

I figured. I read the internets too much. I always have lots of fun shooting my AR-15 A4 because I've never worried about it. I got sucked in by all the chatter surrounding precision rifles and how they need to be broken in and babied. As a result, the one trip to the range with this thing was no fun at all. Shoot, clean, shoot clean, shoot clean. No fun at all. I'm officially done worrying about this rifle. Time to just go shoot it and have fun.

Thanks to all who replied. Hopefully Lowlight won't rip me a new one.
blush.gif