• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Time for a new barrel??

Seeing copper at the muzzle is not a clue. Everytime you clean it out, shoot, clean, you may see copper again. There is a huge difference between seeing cooper and copper fouling. That has already been discussed in great detail by someone else on this thread. I see a lot of people chasing copper when accuracy is just fine and believe it or not I've gotten plenty of barrel life using just Hoppes #9 95% of the time with the occasional Sweets for heavy copper removal. Also, you may be cleaning too much if it takes several fouling shots to get accuracy back and guess what? You just painted the bore with copper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, precision (people are using the term accuracy incorrectly here) is not the only measure for some when to replace a barrel.

Quit telling people that’s how you know without asking what the OP’s intended use is and his expectations.

For example, if you’re paying $2k in match fees and travel, or $5,000+ for a hunt, you don’t take a barrel that’s already shown a velocity drop. As we can’t predict when it will do it again.

The “accuracy” everyone is talking about is generally at 100yds. And when it’s further, it’s completely dependent on velocity at that point.

If you keep running these “accurate” barrels past the initial velocity drop, and you do anything remotely important/expensive, it’s eventually gonna cost you when your shot drop short on an animal or middle of a match.

Use and expectations matter with barrel life.

I have only had one barrel that showed copper from the muzzle. It stripped copper. Junk. It’s a clue.

Your one barrel. That is a clue? Just explain what happened with your one barrel instead of acting like JB Fletcher. It stripped copper because....

Again, precision (people are using the term accuracy incorrectly here) is not the only measure for some when to replace a barrel.

Quit telling people that’s how you know without asking what the OP’s intended use is and his expectations.

For example, if you’re paying $2k in match fees and travel, or $5,000+ for a hunt, you don’t take a barrel that’s already shown a velocity drop. As we can’t predict when it will do it again.

The “accuracy” everyone is talking about is generally at 100yds. And when it’s further, it’s completely dependent on velocity at that point.

If you keep running these “accurate” barrels past the initial velocity drop, and you do anything remotely important/expensive, it’s eventually gonna cost you when your shot drop short on an animal or middle of a match.

Use and expectations matter with barrel life.

I'm afraid to intermix precision into this conversation, lol.