• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time for an auto charge scale. Recommendations.

Tweedycarcass23jonb

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
SW Idaho
I’m starting to get tired of farting around with this little hornady digital scale that came with my lock and load press kit.
If it would stay accurate from the start after calibrating I’d be happy to continue using it.
However after the warm up period and calibrating every time. I get through about 10-20 cases at best and then it goes .2 over without me knowing. Its when I double check a case that I find out it’s over .2 I’ll Get it re zeroed and it’s pretty much fine after that. Occasionally I’ll have to repeat zero and go back and re measure powder drops in those last two cases it went .2 over.
I figure it’s time for an upgrade, and I’d like to be able to load a round in between powder drops anyways.

So looks like Frankford is out. To many bad reviews.
Hornady isn’t to far ahead of them from being knocked of the list due to bad reviews too. So what do you guys recommend. Looks like a rcbs. which model do you guys like the most? Not including the match master. I can’t swing that one or justify it really.
Thanks all for your help.

The RCBS charge master is known and popular for a reason.
I run Hornandy version, it’s more finicky but with a custom insert I’ve gotten mine running good.

The new Lyman seems to be doing good.

I have used the Chargemaster 1500 for years. I keep waiting for it to break so I can get an FX120, but the damn thing still throws accurate charges.

I might have to accidentally push it off my bench...
E470969D-3D12-4DB3-87CD-DE76AA86FD86.gif

I just bought a Chargemaster lite and am really liking it!! I put the insert in it and have only had 1 overcharge in the last 200 charges.
Charge master it is. Thank you and everyone for responding. Can ask what insert you’re referring to? Does it come with a Chargemaster? Looked up inserts guessing that’s not included. Do you by chance load for 6.5 or tell me what insert you’d recommend for that size case.

Last edited:
The RCBS charge master is known and popular for a reason.
I run Hornandy version, it’s more finicky but with a custom insert I’ve gotten mine running good.

The new Lyman seems to be doing good.
That Lyman does seem to have good reviews too! Thank you for replying.

I have used the Chargemaster 1500 for years. I keep waiting for it to break so I can get an FX120, but the damn thing still throws accurate charges.

That made me laugh thank you. Just push it into the mail box with my address on the side. suddenly disappears, and now you need a fx120

Google autotrickler v3 if you ever want to go that route. A little pricey though.
Thank you. I’ve seen that dispenser before and it’s a badass unit. With anything precision rifle related it’s been best in my opinion to buy once cry once. Aside from some reloading components I’ve always had that thought process when purchasing new gear.
This year I’ve been upgrading the reloading equipment. So I might just save up some more funds, get by with what I have until then. I don’t want to buy two auto dispensers because I don’t like the first.

Thank you. I’ve seen that dispenser before and it’s a badass unit. With anything precision rifle related it’s been best in my opinion to buy once cry once. Aside from some reloading components I’ve always had that thought process when purchasing new gear.
This year I’ve been upgrading the reloading equipment. So I might just save up some more funds, get by with what I have until then. I don’t want to buy two auto dispensers because I don’t like the first.
I did the same thing. Borrowed one of my buddies RCBS scales about 12 months ago and went for the V3. Definitely worth it as I get single digit SD's and save tons of time. My buddy who has been reloading for decades uses more time and can't get as consistent SD's. He plans on buying a v3 later in the year if his wife and kids cooperate.

I see some prices there on the website autotrickler but I have no idea what I’m looking at as far as add ons or full kit that’s needed. How much is everything need for the v3?
I’ll confess I was ready to just buy the rcbs but after reading some more and your input I feel like it’s better to wait for the v3
I haven’t chronograph the new impact and benchmark barrel, but I was able to get close with a 10 FPS sd on my last barreled action, but it took a lot of double checking and patients that equaled more time spent just weighing charges re weighing charges than I’d like to spend on if you know what I mean. It would be nice to shrink that considerably.

I have a Chargemaster Lite and really like it! I did get a restrictor from MK Machining and in the 150 charges I've run thru it I have yet to have an over throw.

Okay looks like the scale isn’t included.

If you go with the AutoTrickler V3 one of his authorized sellers can sell you the whole shebang (scale included).

Last edited:
You guys do not ever disappoint. Thank you for the suggestions and help.
Looks like Instead of spending $300-$500 on a used or new one it’s going to be north of $1k. Good talk gents. Lol I might need to take a break from the hide for a little while.

I am a month and 300ish rounds into my RCBS Chargemaster lite. So far I love it. It is a little slow but in 300 rounds I think it mischarged on 2 of them. It is simple to use too. I was using a lee balance beam before this so needless to say I'm in heaven.

I use the frankford intellidropper. Haven't had a single issue. Got it on black Friday for about 160 shipped. Its loaded probably 1k rounds of 223 and 308. I use IMR4064 and WC846. I never had an issue that wasn't my fault, either typing in the wrong load or not allowing it to calibrate for a powder.

Until a few years ago I'd been using a RCBS Chargemaster until it started to malfunction. RCBS wouldn't fix it stating out of warranty so I opened it up. Not much inside but like a lot of electronic gear connections get dirty over time and lose contact. I simply removed all the connections and plugged them back in and it was back to working fine again.

However, before getting it working again I found a Hornady Auto Charge on sale. What I discovered is that it had more tune ability than the Chargemaster. When using super fine powders like Winchester 296 you can refine the dispenser by setting it to stop the fast dispense sooner as well as slow down the trickle to avoid over charging.

It's true that some setups may be more consistent or accurate but I can't bring myself to emptying my bank account and I am content to tinker a little while longer.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I just went through this same thing. I was not geeting the SD and ES numbers I liked with my hornady. So I started throwing short and trickling up on my beam scale. Long story short I decided on the autotrickler V3. It throws faster and more accurate than my Hornady ever could. I got my kit from DWS and it was around $1100 shipped. Then added a few upgrades like the area 419 lid and billet cup.
20200531_133529.jpg

I had the Hornady and was constantly frustrated by overthrows and inaccurate loads.
I bought the Autotrickler V3.
it saves me a tremendous amount of time when loading for my rifles.

Reactions: nikonNUT

Well... my CM 1500 finally fell off my bench. Just ordered an FX120 v3 package from CE.

Damn thing just flew right off.

The scales you buy from Midway or RCBS are general close but if you really want to know what you load is you need a truly accurate scale. I have the Sartorius 64s but that has been replaced now by the Sartorius BCE64-1S .
Yes they are expensive $1558 and you will know exactly what you charge down to 1 kernel. The FX120 V3 Package is a good way togo