• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

I would go as far to saying even the "cheap" seiko automatics like the 5 series are good "life long" watches. It just goes up from there.

No they Are Not Swiss. plus/minus 5 Second a day Regulated movements ... but Yes .. for fact the NH35 Auto. Seiko movements are hardcore longevity, affordable and if ( setup/regulate ) properly will also keep good accurate time .
5 out of 8 of my watches are Seiko NH35 movement watches and, on a couple of them, I will only touch the Crown about once a Month to adjust time, and their always only off by ' less' than 2 minutes a month. The worst NH35 I have and runs about 1.5 minute + a week time .

THIS--> I shit you not . The Cheapest beater watch I own. I have a 100-$ Invicta Dive that carries a NH35A movement . It sits in a movement cradle for constantly 24-7 run, I might wear it a couple days every couple months, and put back on the cradle .
That dogfood low-end poors beater . I get more Giggles enjoyment walking by couple times a week and checking the time on that thing because it is constantly only off 'maybe' .. 1 minute a month.

The Tudor and Rolex are from back in the mid-1970's when they were affordable. I also had an Omega that I sold to fund the Rolex. I bought the Rolex Date Just in 1976 when I graduated from college. My father was drafted into the army in 1939. He was wearing the old Hamilton (center) when he stepped onto French soil on June 6, 1944 (D-Day). He wore the watch until my brother and I convinced him to put it away with the rest of his WWII memorabilia around 1978-80. We gave him the Tudor as a replacement for the old Hamilton. Yeah, my brother and I were too cheap to get my dad a Rolex.
watches.JPG

Got the same one sitting on my window sill with a couple other citizens. Work good for what they are, I just sort of like winding my watch when I get up in the morning. I do like older, outdated stuff obviously.
View attachment 8058405
Now that's some class. At one time I had a Rolex on my wrist and a pre-series 70 Lightweight Commander .45 on my hip. I am now 67 years old and times have sure changed. Now that I am wearing tri-focals and can't see sights for beans, I wear an Apple watch and pack a Staccato C2 with an optic.
c2.JPG

@roostercogburn98

I also have a Hooper it’s an awesome watch. Here it is on its bracelet. If you like straps try an Erika’s original strap. They’re a little pricey, but I love mine where the Hooper on it all the time.
My problem is thin wrists. The Hooper braclet is nice no doubt, but it just doesn’t curve to my wrist very well. I figured having the correct steel band would help in value/resale in the event I ever get rid of it.

I’ll check that place you mentioned though, seems a shame to not put fairly decent straps on it, although I am waiting for the release of the mesh steel from Resco as well. It looks like it may fit my wrist better

Last edited:
@roostercogburn98

Yeah I want to pick up one of the shark mesh bracelets as well. I talked to them the other day and they said it should be coming soon. If you want to try another bracelet brand, I’ve haven’t personally owned one yet put have heard good things and want to try a Forstner bracelets

Reactions: roostercogburn98
@roostercogburn98

I also have a Hooper it’s an awesome watch. Here it is on its bracelet. If you like straps try an Erika’s original strap. They’re a little pricey, but I love mine where the Hooper on it all the time.
Or one of the straps shot just for your watch…

See above…. Says the devil on your shoulder. Hey… it’s for charity ;-)

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
Or one of the straps shot just for your watch…

See above…. Says the devil on your shoulder. Hey… it’s for charity ;-)

Sirhr

I’ve literally been contemplating sending you a PM the last few days. That Cape buffalo looks fantastic.

Reactions: D_TROS
@sirhrmechanic

Went and looked at that place you mentioned for watch straps. Now I’m torn between getting some American Bison from you and sending there, or getting some shark skin from him. Damn I hate choices

Is this watch 50mm or is your wrist tiny?
It’s 45mm wide (without the crown), 47mm lug to lug, 14mm high and had a 21mm lug width, so it’s not a small watch. I use to own the 750t professional and it’s an excellent watch. It got stollen while I was in New Orleans back some years ago. But when you take a photo of a watch while on your wrist and you take it close up, the watch will look larger on your wrist than it actually is. So that’s not an accurate representation of what it actually looks like on your wrist. Check out some watch forums for some discussion about it. I currently have a doxa 300t and it’s my beach watch. Even though they use standard ETA movements, I think the case shape exudes uniqueness and made famous by jacques cousteau. Great quality watch for not a lot of money.

"Great quality watch for not a lot of money." Once again I am reminded I am a "poor".

My old Omega arrived today from Omega Service Center after being overhauled and a new bracelet and bezel installed. Case and glass polished and looks it was when first purchased many years ago. Next to it is a Baume & Mercier dress watch that my beautiful wife gave to me over 40 years ago when we were first married. Belgian FN High Power was my father's second carry and my favorite pistol. RJ Custom knife.

Omega.JPG

My old Omega arrived today from Omega Service Center after being overhauled and a new bracelet and bezel installed. Case and glass polished and looks it was when first purchased many years ago. Next to it is a Baume & Mercier dress watch that my beautiful wife gave to me over 40 years ago when we were first married. Belgian FN High Power was my father's second carry and my favorite pistol. RJ Custom knife.

View attachment 8094203
Nice P35…

Sirhr

Nice P35…

Sirhr
Funny. It's a FN Browning Hi Power that was purchased over 40 years ago. Dad carried a 4" Model 19 as his primary and the Hi-Power as a backup. Agents were supposed to only carry revolvers back then. His other carry was a snub nose model 15. They were issued Model 10's but he never carried it. All three are in my safe.

These watches are moderately priced automatics with sapphire crystal and have worn really well. The knives are my favorites for sure.

Attachments

• 5D58B178-01F9-43B2-83AF-5B791F805C01.jpeg
    5D58B178-01F9-43B2-83AF-5B791F805C01.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Balor and Bakwa
Like most folks, my phone has replaced a watch.

I envy anyone who can wear a wristwatch... Too much of a liability in my line of work. I actually don't wear any jewelery at all, no necklace, no ring, no watch.

I may have to splurge on a quality pocket watch one day.

Mike

Reactions: RPN and ZiaHunter
Can some of you guys who really are into watches tell me the best way to buy a used Rolex?
Whether you buy one there or not, watch fleabay for asking vs selling prices. It's a fairly good market indicator. I do know that used Day/Dates (Presidents) have come down by 25% or so in price in the last few months. Rolex did have at least a one year waitlist, but I assume that has come down as well.