• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    So, after much "mentoring" into getting a well made, rugged, high end, end of the world proof watch by @sirhrmechanic, I caved and picked up a Resco Gen 1 Patriot. The thing is a freaking tank, and is definitely something that will get passed down to one of the kids when I leave this world.

Resco Patriot Gen 1-PAT444.jpg

Anyone else have some nice watches? I'm pretty impressed with the quality of these Resco's...

Congrats on it showing up!!!

It's a small community that knows what they are... but RESCO makes some awesome timekeeping instruments!

BTW, here's a fun article about them from a few years ago. https://www.foxnews.com/tech/6-of-the-best-bond-worthy-holiday-gifts

Funny thing is, they got no PR firm... no ad agency. Occasional ads taken out in magazines (and an occasional booth at SHOT show). But they show up all kinds of cool places.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I gave up on mechanical movements after 3 Seiko divers all going tits up after less than 10 years each. I tried Suunto, lasted 2 years. Casio Mudman is on my wrist now, see how long it lasts. I like your new watch though, had thought about buying a Vostok diver.

Nice.

I tend toward simple or "Field" watches if worn on the wrist.

Though not an expensive watch this Bertucci has been serviceable and replaces a Hamilton winder I destroyed cutting bamboo in JEST training in Subic Bay decades ago....

images.jpg

http://www.bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci/A2TOC.html

When I was in Geneva, Switzerland I bought a Revue Thommen Altimark and had fun checking the altimeter while hiking in the Jura. Kind of clunky I hardly wear it now. $2000 on Corporals pay in 1989 it was a big investment - should have bought a Rolex......

f179c5ab-217b-43e3-8e84-5369051ab3fc.jpg

05f923bc-e0c9-4fb8-8613-9262ae3d5bbf.jpg

Usually dont carry/wear a watch but if in a suit or on occasion will throw one of a few Waltham pocket watches in the watch pocket.

Got two or three similar to this....

IMG_0179_grande.jpg

All these are stock photo images from the web, not my actual watches.

Last edited:
    I have a Casio with shit load of functionality. I honestly don’t know much about it. It was sort of a spontaneous thing. I liked it when I saw it, but the guy I got it from was unconscious when I took it from him. So, I didn’t get the full pitch.

love to hear that backstory :unsure:;)

I've been a Timex Ironman luddite since 2002.

Although I do have an intermittent want for a nice japanese automatic.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    Nice.

I tend toward simple or "Field" watches if worn on the wrist.

Though not an expensive watch this Bertucci has been serviceable and replaces a Hamilton winder I destroyed cutting bamboo in JEST training in Subic Bay decades ago....

View attachment 7018119

http://www.bertucciwatches.com/Bertucci/A2TOC.html

When I was in Geneva, Switzerland I bought a Revue Thommen Altimark and had fun checking the altimeter while hiking in the Jura. Kind of clunky I hardly wear it now. $2000 on Corporals pay in 1989 it was a big investment - should have bought a Rolex......

View attachment 7018120

View attachment 7018121

Usually dont carry/wear a watch but if in a suit or on occasion will throw one of a few Waltham pocket watches in the watch pocket.

Got two or three similar to this....

View attachment 7018128

All these are stock photo images from the web, not my actual watches.

That Altimark is cool beyond words!!!!

And way cooler than a Rolex! And I like Rolex! 1989 was when I bought my first Oyster... which I still have. IIRC it was about the same price. Bet the Altimark is far rarer now!

Hope you still have it!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I've been a Timex Ironman luddite since 2002.

Although I do have an intermittent want for a nice japanese automatic.

Check out Sangin Instruments... they have a release going on now. Nice stuff. Seiko movements. Rugged as hell. Won't break the bank.

Awesome guys who founded that company, too!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I've worn this Oris as my daily for prob close to 5 years. Only issue I ever had was some moisture working into the case but I think I left the crown loose so it may have been my fault. Fits like a glove. Noce size and weight.
    20190204_163000.jpg

I have others but this is my favorite.

Check out Sangin Instruments... they have a release going on now. Nice stuff. Seiko movements. Rugged as hell. Won't break the bank.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Shhhhh!!! No letting the cat out of the bag on the Sangin's. ;) They're already sold out on the first run of Atlas watches this year...took all of (literally) two minutes and the pre-order was full. I wonder how long the Neptune's will last once pre-order is opened up....

That Altimark is cool beyond words!!!!

And way cooler than a Rolex! And I like Rolex! 1989 was when I bought my first Oyster... which I still have. IIRC it was about the same price. Bet the Altimark is far rarer now!

Hope you still have it!

Cheers,

Sirhr

The watch itself is quartz.

I've been told the highest quality quartz movement at most cost $60.

What you pay for is the case.

The Altimark has a lot going on with the solar compass dial, date window, and separate altimeter but still it's only a small rock that vibrates run by battery. And it can eat those batteries pretty steadily.

I haven't priced em up but I doubt they have held great value.

Still have it, not beat to hell but worn.

I bought my mother a mechanical movement Revue Thommen as a souvenir. That one was kind of spendy too. Never saw her wear it much, it probably held better value due to the movement.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The location of the set stem kind of weirds me out.

So, after much "mentoring" into getting a well made, rugged, high end, end of the world proof watch by @sirhrmechanic, I caved and picked up a Resco Gen 1 Patriot. The thing is a freaking tank, and is definitely something that will get passed down to one of the kids when I leave this world.

View attachment 7018114

Anyone else have some nice watches? I'm pretty impressed with the quality of these Resco's...
    Nice

I am getting this one for my birthday in May

RESCO_RTAC_PVD_GREEN_1200x.jpg

I’ve got a Citizen Wingman I bought in ‘92 as a young PFC. It’s been beat to hell over the years, face & bezel both scratched but it still runs like new. It’s done two WESTPACs & it’s been to every US state (except Alaska) at least twice.

It currently needs a new band & it’s killing me not to wear it. This watch holds a lot of value to me but probably worth little to anyone else. Believe it or not, the tritium still illuminates, albeit briefly.

Last edited:
    The Red Circle is the Resco tribute to the sniper community. Designed by Brandon Webb who rebuilt the NavSpecWar sniper program in the late '90s and early 2000's. It's like the RC-Tac above, but with red numbers and bezel... Very cool watches!

Webb's book "The Killing School" is an outstanding read.
    resco 1.jpg

My unicorn pair of Red Circles. Both serial number 015. One auto, one quartz. About 300 of these made. I am not 100 percent on the numbers, but I think it was @215 quartz. And @85 auto ETA. To have both the same serial number is a remarkable bit of fate! And luck.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I’ve got a Citizen Wingman I bought in ‘92 as a young PFC. It’s been beat to hell over the years, face & bezel both scratched but it still runs like new. It’s done two WESTPACs & it’s been to every US state (except Alaska) at least twice.

It currently needs a new band & it’s killing me not to wear it. This watch holds a lot of value to me but probably worth little to anyone else. Believe it or not, the tritium still illuminates, albeit briefly.
    Contact Citizen. They may be able to refurbish it and put a new band on it for not too much $$.

My two most favorite watches are my Citizen Skyhawk and Nighthawk models. I have some other watches, but these see the most use.

Contact Citizen. They may be able to refurbish it and put a new band on it for not too much $$.

My two most favorite watches are my Citizen Skyhawk and Nighthawk models. I have some other watches, but these see the most use.

Lots of places to buy replacement bands. Don't know what type it is. If metal, Citizen may be your only choice but if not metal, there are tons of choices. All you need is to measure the width between the lugs

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Those Resco watches look cool. I like the plain, simple ones with tritium in the dial and numbers. But I don't know shit about watches and never wear or carry them unless I really need to time something. I have a couple that say "Rolex" that my buddy brought back from Mosul. They ticked. For a while. I do know enough to know that Swiss movement is continuous and Japanese intermittent.

I used to have a Mickey Mouse watch my grandfather gave me when I was 6. I have no idea where it is. I think maybe my sister "stole" it when she was younger and played with it. I understand those are worth money now.

I can't recall what it was exactly but I think it was a Bulova? It was a pretty simple watch and I took the bands off it and connected it to one of those velcro and nylon bracelets. The ones that flip open? I only really needed it in the field and that kept it from reflecting light, was more comfortable to me, and kept it from getting broke. Now I'm wondering where that thing could be?

You know, come to think of it, some kind of "tactical" pocket stop watch would probably be a huge seller to soldiers. I hate wearing jewelry of any kind so having something that doesn't reflect light, has tritium in it, simple and accurate and rugged with silent operation and tethered would be nice. Maybe with a small Molle pocket so it can be worn on gear.

@MarinePMI

I really like the Gen1 Patriot but it has no date which is generally a no go for me...maybe I'll make an exception as it is a no frills, rugged watch...

Question....are they heavy?

Love that Tudor!!!! One of my great regrets was not buying a Tudor Daytona for $900 in 1993. Gorgeous watch. Cost me a ton more because I ended up with a Rolex Daytona c. 2009... If I had bought the Tudor,,, I never would have settled for the Rolex. Good news was I bought Im the Pit of recession and it’s doing better than my 401k. But that Tudor in a jewelry store in Colimbus, OH in 1993... so still gnaws on my soul!!!

Cheers, Sirhr

I like heavy watches. It looks beefy.
    Beefy yes. Not like those gay-assed giant bling rapper watches. IMHO... just right.

If you want big/heavy... watch the used market for a canteen. Bullfrog . No longer in production but they do come up. They are all there. Again. Not in an annoying way. But I a way that lets you know they will survive armageddon.

Cheers, Sirhr

@sirhrmechanic

Daytona is a grail. One of my favorites.

I sold my Batman and the guy I was selling to asked me to meet him at our local Rolex dealer to verify its authenticity. This damn Pelagos hasn't come off my wrist since.

I also absolutely love the Seiko SKX007

Daytona rules even though there is no date. It is one of the most iconic Rolex watches ever produced by them.

I had one from the early nineties (2 tone stainless and Gold) but sold it when I purchased an all stainless model in 2016. I waited over 18 months for that one because I wouldn't pay above list price.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Well, technically, the Sea Pearl is intended for women. I think they're fairly small for a rugged female watch (38mm IIRC). I've been thinking about getting the wife one for Mother's day or what not. Stainless, mother of pearl face, blue stingray band.

There's certainly some nice time pieces in this thread...

For those who don't know the reference... The Hooper is from "Hooper Short" the character on Jaws. The watch is a Superluminova...

1549576260410.png

Not an exact replica, but a good tribute. Well, no. The best tribute! To one of the most iconic dive watches in history.

Goes great with Narragansett Beer. Crush it like Quint, baby!

Cheers,

Sirhr