• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timmney, RifBasix, Jewell, Shilen for 700 Remme

SuperXJeff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2008
Oregon
Lots of after market triggers with prices from 100 or so to near 300. How did you guys choose and why did you choose what you did. I looked at Rifle basix and if its really 2 1/3 ponds with no creep it sure seems hard to beat? Price alone does not dictate but it certainly is a factor for me.

Re: Timmney, RifBasix, Jewell, Shieln for 700 Remme

I have a rifle basix and couldnt be happier. i have not had jewell or timney. But the rifle basix is fully adjustable, weight of pull, overtravel, and sear engagement. They are extremely easy to adjust. I would go with rifle basix

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">savvy the gunplumber with a stone and the wisdom...... </div></div>

That's funny, and I am sure very true.
I had a Remington factory trigger that was stock and tuned very nicely by a very good smith and I loved it.
As far as plug n play goes, I love the Jewell triggers.
Can't go wrong, as far as the price, well, you get what you pay for.

If you are planning on going lighter than 24 ounces I would definitly get a jewell!!!

If not a properly tuned trigger or any of the after markets are good. Especially riflebasics.

Re: Timmney, RifBasix, Jewell, Shilen for 700 Remme

Back in the day it used to be Hart, Shilen and Matt Canjar. I used to use Hart on my BR rigs and Canjar single sets on my deer and varmint rigs. Today, for BR you can't beat Jewell; I have a Timmney on an AR and my deer and varmint rigs except for one all wear Rifle Basix. That one deer rifle is a .280 with a tuned 40X trigger, and it has not creeped, burped, or farted in 35 years. Out of the box Rifle Basix is hard to beat and may be the only one that makes a replacement for the new Remington trigger. But as someone else has already said it's very hard to beat a good gun plumber with a stone and a remington trigger.

Have fun picking the right one.

SuperXJeff,

A hunting or tactical rifle does not need a trigger lighter than 2.5 lbs. A BR rifle could use a light trigger, like the Jewel.

So Timney, RifleBasix, or Shilen for hunting or tactical rifles.

I like Timney myself, but the others are GTO as well.

Original old style Rem 700 triggers, or 40x triggers are as good as they get, but the new Mark X & Mark x Pro are near junk, and are best reserved for paper weights.

Bob

Of those I would choose the Rifle Basix. I've had that and the Timney and preferred the RB. Of course I have an older factory Rem trigger now that beats both though...

I vote Timney myself as well. Also customer service is top notch. pres of company was emailing me about some question I had in the middle of the night. Talk about prompt and responsive

I really like my Shilen trigger. It is also fully adjustable, comes assembled (although not riveted like the jewell). Mine had ever the slightest creep in it when it came, but that was an easy fix. They say that it only goes down to 2# with the safety guarunteed to work. I figured I'd slap in my rifle and test the pull weight before I adjusted it. It came from the factory with a 1.25# pull weight, and the safety works. I've tested it against drop, and hit the bolt plenty, and the safety is just fine, as long as the sear adjustment is right. Either way, the pull is consistent, breaks clean and crisp. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Shilen triger to someone.

I really like Shilen or Basix both have treated me well, i would prefer the shilen mainly bc i like the smaller trigger shoe.

i have a jewel, it is real nice and crisp at a lower weight but i am not shooting the gun any better than when it wore a basix

Another one is the uber, i got in on the group buy and have one of those at the smiths i think i am really going to like that one.

there are alot of great choices out there theses day, hard to go wrong with any of them. Dont forget a good tuned remington is another great trigger, i have an old Gap tuned rem and its great.

where i buying a new trigger today, i would end up buying a shilen, unless the gun had a side both release then i would go uber

Timney user here, great triggers at a great price.

One thing I forgot to mention also is the Timney trigger I had was about four times the width of the Rifle Basix trigger and took some time to get used to. Just something to think about. Not sure if they're all that way.

I suppose that is note-worthy...

The timney is wide, which I like. Rifle basix is a little narrower... with the shilen being the slimest of the bunch.

I like something with some meat on it... which would explain why the timney is my favorite... followed by the rifle basix.

i have a basix, jewell, and timney, and the basix is my preference for the size and feel.