• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Timney 2 Stage Triggers??

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Hey guys.... So I decided to try out a two-stage trigger in my new GAP 308 and I am less than pleased, has anybody else had any issues especially with a creepy second stage??? Just wanted to make sure if this is a one-off issue or if I should definitely send it back and get a Huber??

Last edited:
    I had a Huber and didn't care for it. I shoot 4 AI'S love their trigger. I have heard good things about the Tubbs trigger for 700's

Save your money and skip the Huber. Check out the new Bix'n Andy TacSport. Due to release in April.

https://precisionrifledivision.com/p...utm_source=sms

Found it.... Nice description here..

https://bulletcentral.com/product/bixn-andy-tacsport-rem700-two-stage-trigger-sporting-rifles/

I've got several quality single stage triggers to play with so I'd like to stay with the 2 Stage triggers for now, that way all my precision rifles have the same type of trigger....

On a off note I just picked up a Tikka T3X .223 Varmint and the stock trigger is fucking beautiful.....

PS. I have a Old style REM trigger that came with my GAP rifle of anyone wants it.. $50.00 plus shipping..

Last edited:
    I have an AI and run timney Calvin elite two stage triggers in all my other rifles and have no complaints. They have seen the worst conditions you could imagine and have remained reliable and crisp. I had a huber and didn't care for it. Had a CG Extreme mod 22 and could never get it to work correctly. I would be willing to give a Bix n Andy a try one of these days.

I have an AI and run timney Calvin elite two stage triggers in all my other rifles and have no complaints. They have seen the worst conditions you could imagine and have remained reliable and crisp. I had a huber and didn't care for it. Had a CG Extreme mod 22 and could never get it to work correctly. I would be willing to give a Bix n Andy a try one of these days.

That's good to hear, maybe I just got a Lemon... I'll send it back to Brownells and swap it out for a new one... Just out of curiosity what weight are you running on your second stage??

I love my Huber trigger. Could be that you got a lemon but now that Huber reduced their prices, you could try one anyway.

Both mine Timney 2-stages have travel before the 2nd stage brakes and my most recent has some creep. Seems normal to me.

I shoot a AI AX308, I love my 4 hubers, have a Bix'n'Andy ready to go into my PVA, and have on back order the Bix'and'Andy TacSport ... love em all. Hated the Timney, creep at the beginning of the second staged was very bad.

Reactions: 5RWill
    I have a Timney two stage on my 338. I love the trigger. No issues at all. Unfortunately I'm a true lefty and I wish I could get one for my lefty rifle. Maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My timney 2 stage just feels sloppy. I don't notice a defined creep but there is side to side slop in the whole movement cycle of the trigger. Less than pleased. Mine isn't the Calvin elite if that means anything..

My timney 2 stage just feels sloppy. I don't notice a defined creep but there is side to side slop in the whole movement cycle of the trigger. Less than pleased. Mine isn't the Calvin elite if that means anything..

Both mine have side to side play and are CEs.

I had the same issue with my CE 2 stage. Have you adjusted the sear engagement screw? It's the one with the hex nut and orange sealant. After adjusting the sear engagement I was able to get my trigger to have "almost" no creep. The release is still not as crisp as the trigger on my Tikka, but it's definitely better. As a side note, I also have a Trigger Tech "Special" on another rifle, and while it has a very nice break, it's still not as nice as the Tikka trigger.

I've been using one of the Calvin Elites, but the guys at Accurate Ordnance set it up and adjusted it for me. Maybe look at tweaking the adjustments on engagement and weight?

I had the same issue with my CE 2 stage. Have you adjusted the sear engagement screw? It's the one with the hex nut and orange sealant. After adjusting the sear engagement I was able to get my trigger to have "almost" no creep. The release is still not as crisp as the trigger on my Tikka, but it's definitely better. As a side note, I also have a Trigger Tech "Special" on another rifle, and while it has a very nice break, it's still not as nice as the Tikka trigger.

I did everything!!! I'm no stranger to Timney triggers either, and about the Tikkia triggers that really blew me away how freaking nice my Tikka trigger is on my new T3X Varmint.. I can tell you right now if I ever have to buy another budget rife for whatever reason it won't be a Remington or a Savage, it will be a Tikka...

I have two Timney Calvin Elite 2-stage triggers and I absolutely love them. Second stage set at 1 pound. I don't know what others are saying about creep because mine are perfect.

Both of mine were installed and adjusted by Jon Addid at 419

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd resurrect this one since it's not too old. I'm curious to get other feedback on the 2 stage Timney. I've got single stage Timney CE's on all my rifles set at 14 oz. A buddy sent me parts for a build and included a 2 stage Timney. I messed around with it a bit and decided to get one for two of my target rifles to test out. I've been messing around with settings on both but haven't shot either yet. They are definitely not as crisp as their single stage triggers. I've got the sear engagement as close as it can go. Any less and the firing pin drops when closing the bolt 75% of the time. The second stage on both triggers definitely has more creep than the single stage trigger but I've run out of sear to lessen it. I've also got the trigger pull weight as light as it will go and it's still not crisp and tight like the single stage. I'd love to try some of the other 2 stage triggers out there but I'm afraid I'll like them and spend $1200 on triggers!

I talked to Timney about my issues and they are going to fix it at no charge to me. The Tec guy said sometimes the sear just needs a little polishing.

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd resurrect this one since it's not too old. I'm curious to get other feedback on the 2 stage Timney. I've got single stage Timney CE's on all my rifles set at 14 oz. A buddy sent me parts for a build and included a 2 stage Timney. I messed around with it a bit and decided to get one for two of my target rifles to test out. I've been messing around with settings on both but haven't shot either yet. They are definitely not as crisp as their single stage triggers. I've got the sear engagement as close as it can go. Any less and the firing pin drops when closing the bolt 75% of the time. The second stage on both triggers definitely has more creep than the single stage trigger but I've run out of sear to lessen it. I've also got the trigger pull weight as light as it will go and it's still not crisp and tight like the single stage. I'd love to try some of the other 2 stage triggers out there but I'm afraid I'll like them and spend $1200 on triggers!

I picked mine up from the Timney booth at SHOT this year. It has lots of creep. I don't particularly care about a light break, I just want it to be clean. I can adjust the sear engagement down to where the creep goes away, but due to the design of the trigger, the first stage disappears.