• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Timney Trigger For Tikka Finally Here!

Steel+Killer

Killing one steel plate at a time!
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2014
    32.75259713494653, -79.87485679548313
    I got the email today the Timney two stage trigger has finally been release and is for sale. I ordered one and hope it is worth the $195 they are asking for it. We will see.

https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Tikka-T3-P109.aspx

430_Front.png

What Sogan said I grew up shooting single stages but for some reason my groups have seemed to shrink on all my rifles since I dove face first into this argument some years back , different strokes for different folks. ymmv.

Reactions: Bravo6
    My guess is you'd need a left handed safety lever. Might hit up Timney after SHOT Show to see if they had any plans for them....

Appears Tikka is finally starting to get some good aftermarket options. I know KRG is working on a two stage trigger as well

Have one on the way to test in my 223AI T3.

If I like it, have to get 2 more for my Sako Quads.

Wonder how the upcoming KRG 2 stage will compare in terms of feel and adjustment range. I do wish the Timney offered a wider 1st stage adjustment range, say 0.5-2lb. Sounds like the KRG will offer a wider 1st stage adjustment range, plus an adjustable trigger shoe.

Thought about doing the TRG 2 stage trigger swap on all 3 rifles a while back, but the price of the Timney is much more attractive, not to mention easier to get...

Last edited:
    Hmm I never even thought about changing the tikka trigger because the factory is so good

I'm in the same boat. Would have never occurred to me to spend $200 to "upgrade" the trigger. The single stage factory trigger is the best I've had by a mile.

Appears Tikka is finally starting to get some good aftermarket options. I know KRG is working on a two stage trigger as well

Is KRG's Tikka specific or is it the TRG/SOTIC rifle trigger? I doubt their trigger is going to come in under $200.

Is KRG's Tikka specific or is it the TRG/SOTIC rifle trigger? I doubt their trigger is going to come in under $200.

You’ve stumped me. All I’ve really seen is their teaser pictures on Instagram etc. I don’t believe much info is out on it as of yet but I thought it was for all tikkas but again I could be totally wrong but that’s just how I interrupted it.

I'm in the same boat. Would have never occurred to me to spend $200 to "upgrade" the trigger. The single stage factory trigger is the best I've had by a mile.

Don't get me wrong the factory trigger is by far the best factory single stage trigger I have used, but I pretty much have two stage triggers on my other rifles, I have a custom 700 with a Timney two stage Calvin Elite and I think its the best trigger I have ever pulled, ever since I got my first Tikka CTR I have wished for a two stage trigger that would come close to the 700 Calvin Elite......now the wait is over....hopefully.....lol

I don't have a TRG but the Timney fits my M595 and my T3's. I've got it set at just over a pound, the more I use it the better I like it. The people that have tried it have liked it. It's my first two stage trigger, though I've always treated a savage accutrigger like a two stage.

Received my Timney 2-stage yesterday and got it installed.

Don't have much time on it yet, but my initial impressions are very good. First stage is extremely smooth with maybe .150" of travel, with a nice hard stop at the second stage. The second stage break is very crisp. Out of the box sear engagement and overtravel adjustment was very good. Right now I have it adjusted with a 14oz first stage and a 2lb 8oz break.

Other good news-- it's an easy drop in for a Sako Quad, so Quad owners can finally have a 2 stage trigger if they want!

Some observations though...

The Timney doesn't have a bolt interlock when the safety is on like the stock Tikka trigger. While the stock Tikka trigger locks the bolt with the safety on, with the Timney you can manipulate the bolt with the safety on. This may be a benefit or drawback depending on your point of view.

Timney says you can go up to 16oz on the first stage, but I could only get up to 14.5 oz before the first stage spring would coil bind and not allow the trigger to move rearward enough to break. What I did is hold the trigger in the fired position, gently screwed in the first stage weight screw until I could feel the trigger pressing forward against my finger as the first stage spring was fully collapsed, then backed it off about 3/8 of a turn to avoid coil bind. That produced a maximum 14.5oz first stage weight. This will vary depending on how you have the overtravel screw adjusted. If you like some overtravel in your trigger after the break (like an AI) then you'll need to back the first stage screw off more to allow that additional travel without running into coil bind, which means your maximum first stage weight will be lower.

So far, quite happy with it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to order 2 more for my Quads or wait until the KRG trigger comes out to try one of those and then decide which one to buy 3 of.

Last edited:
    Received my Timney 2-stage yesterday and got it installed.

Don't have much time on it yet, but my initial impressions are very good. First stage is extremely smooth with maybe .150" of travel, with a nice hard stop at the second stage. The second stage break is very crisp. Out of the box sear engagement and overtravel adjustment was very good. Right now I have it adjusted with a 14oz first stage and a 2lb 8oz break.

Other good news-- it's an easy drop in for a Sako Quad, so Quad owners can finally have a 2 stage trigger if they want!

Some observations though...

The Timney doesn't have a bolt interlock when the safety is on like the stock Tikka trigger. While the stock Tikka trigger locks the bolt with the safety on, with the Timney you can manipulate the bolt with the safety on. This may be a benefit or drawback depending on your point of view.

Timney says you can go up to 16oz on the first stage, but I could only get up to 14.5 oz before the first stage spring would coil bind and not allow the trigger to move rearward enough to break. What I did is hold the trigger in the fired position, gently screwed in the first stage weight screw until I could feel the trigger pressing forward against my finger as the first stage spring was fully collapsed, then backed it off about 3/8 of a turn to avoid coil bind. That produced a maximum 14.5oz first stage weight. This will vary depending on how you have the overtravel screw adjusted. If you like some overtravel in your trigger after the break (like an AI) then you'll need to back the first stage screw off more to allow that additional travel without running into coil bind, which means your maximum first stage weight will be lower.

So far, quite happy with it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to order 2 more for my Quads or wait until the KRG trigger comes out to try one of those and then decide which one to buy 3 of.

Glad to hear you got your trigger I ordered mine on Friday the 12th and for some reason it didn't ship until a week later this past Friday the 19th I should get it this week cant wait to get it installed and give it a go. 3/4 MOA is the norm for me with the factory trigger so I am looking forward to see if maybe I can get 1/2 MOA or below.

Update: Got the new trigger today and got it installed. The lightest I could ever get the factory trigger was around 1lb 4.5oz even with the “Yo Dave” spring. With the new Timney trigger it has very a nice and smooth 11.5oz first stage then a very noticeable “wall” come up on the second stage which breaks very crisp at 1lb 10oz. Dry fired with a snap cap about 20 times. Haven’t live fired it yet, but I think it’s going to be very good. I might make the first stage a little heavier, but other than that seems pretty good with the factory settings. As noted above the Timney trigger does not retain the bolt lock when on safe. The bolt will open when the safety is on unlike the factory trigger.

Update: Got the new trigger today and got it installed. The lightest I could ever get the factory trigger was around 1lb 4.5oz even with the “Yo Dave” spring. With the new Timney trigger it has very a nice and smooth 11.5oz first stage then a very noticeable “wall” come up on the second stage which breaks very crisp at 1lb 10oz. Dry fired with a snap cap about 20 times. Haven’t live fired it yet, but I think it’s going to be very good. I might make the first stage a little heavier, but other than that seems pretty good with the factory settings. As noted above the Timney trigger does not retain the bolt lock when on safe. The bolt will open when the safety is on unlike the factory trigger.

Being able to work the bolt with safety on is a good feature in my opinion.

TAC A1 2 stage is nicer than the standard tikka trigger in my opinion.

If the Timney improves on that we have a winner.

Reactions: Bravo6
    Is there lateral movement in the shoe on yours? The demo in their shot booth had a lot of side-to-side present, especially noticeable in between stages. If that’s how they’re shipping I don’t want it.

Is there lateral movement in the shoe on yours? The demo in their shot booth had a lot of side-to-side present, especially noticeable in between stages. If that’s how they’re shipping I don’t want it.

I just checked mine really good and compared it to my 700 Calvin Elite, Regular 700, Thompson Center Icon, and a Geissele SSA, and it absolutely has no more side-to-side movement than those do. Mine seems normal in that regard.

The Tac A1 has a two stage and should still have some adjustment left. Take it out of the chassis and turn that little hex screw.

Do you mean there's more adjustment if you take it out rather than adjusting from the magazine well?

Last edited:
    The Tac A1 has a two stage and should still have some adjustment left. Take it out of the chassis and turn that little hex screw.

I didn't think the TacA1 two stage was adjustable. Not sure I want to mess with it.

I don't have a TRG but the Timney fits my M595 and my T3's. I've got it set at just over a pound, the more I use it the better I like it. The people that have tried it have liked it. It's my first two stage trigger, though I've always treated a savage accutrigger like a two stage.
    I have the Tikka M695 model in 7mag will the New Timney Trigger Fit this model as well?

I have the Tikka M695 model in 7mag will the New Timney Trigger Fit this model as well?

I would think so if they have the same one bolt mount. Never played with the long action so I can't say for sure.

Got mine last week - installed and adjusted it to mimic my Huber 2-stage. The Timney is highly adjustable and so far I'm impressed. I prefer a somewhat stiff/springy first stage and it gets me there - once at the wall it's a perfectly clean break into the 2nd stage. As good as the Timney is it does highlight what great trigger Tikka produces out of the box - not a huge amount to seperate the factory version from the Timney if you're all good with single stage units - but no doubt this is a great option for those who want a 2-stage. Aside from my Surgeon I'm standardising on Tikka's now - so much aftermarket support and they just work.

IDK that I could justify $200 to improve on a Tikka trigger. IIRC mine is set at 2 lbs and it feels great to me.

But being able to use the bolt wiht the safety engaged adds another dimension of function to the rifle and may be enough to convince me

I have put about 300rds down range now with the Timney two stage and I absolutely have no regrets, but like others have said if you don't want/care about a two stage there is no reason to get one the Tikka factory single stage works just fine, but I prefer a two stage.

So reading through this thread, you guys don't think the Timney is worth it if you already have a Tac A1?

I have a Tac A1, but my issue is that I have the trigger right at 2.5 lbs and if I go any lower I lose the wall. It becomes impossible to find the wall without breaking the shot. Compared to my PRS buddies - their triggers can be set right at 2lbs or lower while still having complete control over the break.

I like my Tac A1 trigger - so if it's not a significant improvement I'm certainly fine with just leaving it as is.