• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney Trigger problems with Surgeon Action?

hk dave

Optics Fiend
Minuteman
  • Jun 7, 2011
    So CA
    Hey folks... anyone run a Timney on a Surgeon 591/R and has had problems with ignition?

I have my trigger set to 1.5# and every so often, I'll get a failure to fire.

I talked to Surgeon about this and their response was, "Get a Jewell, Timney is not reliable with our actions."

Anyone have any work arounds?

Ask for the Timney 510u, that supposedly fixes light primer strikes

I already sent the trigger into Timney and they modified it with a new sear? I'm guessing that made it into a 510u? Still having random failure to fire. Strange thing is... the primer strikes look good and deep.

I have a Timney in a KMW build Stiller Action and it will do it every so often as well. I changed the firing pin to a lighter one with a heavier spring and it reduced the problem, but did not completely solve it. I was just thinking about replacing the trigger today as I have a GAP Tuned Stock Old School Remington.

I have a Timney in a KMW build Stiller Action and it will do it every so often as well. I changed the firing pin to a lighter one with a heavier spring and it reduced the problem, but did not completely solve it. I was just thinking about replacing the trigger today as I have a GAP Tuned Stock Old School Remington.

The "didn't completely solve it" concerns me. When I switched to thinner primers it helped dramatically... but every 50 rounds or so, it'll fail.

Maybe my only recourse is to switch to a Jewell. :/ That's too bad... because I really like my Timneys.

I should look into the firing pin and spring combo you mentioned. Anyone know if I could pick them up through Surgeon? Or would this be an aftermarket deal?

I must be lucky, been using a Timney on a Surgeon 591 chambered in .243 Win and haven't had any problems at all, just over 1K rounds thus far. CCI BR-2 primers and whatever firing pin and spring come with Surgeon actions. Good luck in your quest for reliable ignition.

Geb

LL, is that with a stock Timney, or one with the long sear (U model)? Haven't had any light strike yet in my Stiller, but am using the long sear.

I had a Timney in a Short Action Customs build with a Surgeon 591 action. Only time I ever had any light strikes were with a 2004 lot of M118LR. I shot around 600 rounds of Factory Creedmoor ammo through it when I switched the barrel and never had a problem.

Just received my 300 N Mag with Surgeon XL action and Timney Calvin Elite/. 60 rounds with 7 misfires. WLRM primers used in 2 other Defiance actions with not one misfire. Gun smith a Rocky Mountain Shooting said it's Timney related. Salesman didn't know about this issue when I ordered gun. They are sending a Trigger Tech Diamond in exchange. I have 2 Jewels and like them but decided on the Diamond to try something new. not upset at RM Shooting. Shit happens. I am really pissed a Surgeon however. 4 phone calls in 1 week and not one return call. Talked to receptionist twice and was assured I would get a call back. I called them initially to find out from them what could be causing problem . I also called when gun order was placed to get an extra firing pin (probably never need it) They took my cc # and never sent pin. RM said they buy a lot of product from them and they get dicked around. Sad because it's a good product.

Update - After a total of 7 calls and no calls back , Ashley at Strategic Armory Corps (Surgeon) put me through to Cory in their LE division. He deserves credit for addressing the issue and being helpful. Try to get to him if you need help because he actually gives a shit.

Update - After a total of 7 calls and no calls back , Ashley at Strategic Armory Corps (Surgeon) put me through to Cory in their LE division. He deserves credit for addressing the issue and being helpful. Try to get to him if you need help because he actually gives a shit.
    Well what did they have to say about the problem itself? Just to see if the trigger tech works?