• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Timney Trigger Rem 700 Problem(s) ????

RMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2019
When to the range today and took my REM 700 in 223. Have not shot the gun since last June. When I got back from South Dakota all I did was completely clean the gun.....and put it away....I installed a Timney 2 stage trigger when I bought the gun like 4 years ago....I have NEVER had any issues and have well over 6,000 rounds....Long story short I go to fire the gun today and 'take up the slack' and go to trigger break and the gun will not fire....So I slap the trigger (like a shotgun) and it goes bang.....REALLY WTF.....Did this twice.....and, I pulled the bolt and walked off the range.....and put the gun back in the case?

#1 - Any idea what is wrong?

#2 - Should I just order a new trigger?

#3 - Or????

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!!!!

Reactions: 338dude
Yea, try cleaning and if that doesn't work, maybe pull trigger and send back to Timney and see what they say. Obviously this should not be happening. I have one with very high round count too with single stage Timney, never had the problem.

PB

Timney will fix it. Took about a week to get a Timney of mine back… they replaced it actually.

Yes you are correct Timney recommended flushing it with cigarette lighter fluid to clean it.
I just looked into this today, they say white gas to clean and Ronson lighter fluid to lubricate. Like I've got either of those on my shelf.

I had a Jewell that suddenly would fire sometimes when you closed the bolt. I sent it back to Jewell and a week later they called and wanted $35. I asked what they did and they said they cleaned it. It's worked fine ever since. I guess something dropped into it but I am very careful about getting it dirty. They recommend lighter fluid. I'd try that first and if that doesn't work, send it back in. It's in their best interests to have happy customers.

Both are extremely easy to obtain.
You might have to leave the house to get them...
Let's see, I have acetone, lacquer thinner, brake cleaner, throttle body cleaner, Hornady oneshot, 90% pure alcohol, bug and tar remover, Birchwood Gun Scrubber, Lucas Gun cleaner, windex, and I'm sure some toilet bowl and/or oven cleaner somewhere. And now I have to go buy white gas and lighter fluid? Seems reasonable.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner works just fine for cleaning. It does strip all lubricants though.

BTW, that chemical list you have is for rookies.

Haven't you ever looked at all the once used products that women have? 😂