• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tip retracting issue...

I resize dirty brass. The time savings from not having to tumble, sift, dry, whatever, twice makes up for a $30-80 die by the time it wears out from carbon abrasion. YMMV If the brass gets muddy I'll either clean it first or toss it, but just regular fired stuff I run it.

Anneal
lube
size & deprime
clean
trim/chamfer/debur
prime
load

Been at it for 15+ years and haven't worn a die out yet.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
I use the dedicated deprime dies.

Deprime and visually inspect, scrub the primer pocket (rarely)
Anneal
Corn cob vibratory clean
Push a rod into the primer pocket and flash hole to make sure no cob is stuck in there
Lube and resize
Measure several random cases and trim the lot if needed
Chamfer
Scrub the inside of the neck with a caliber correct nylon brush and wipe the outside with a denatured alcohol soaked rag
Prime
Charge
Seat, I always measure CBTO for the first several just to be certain nothing has moved
Shoot
Repeat

Last edited:
I resize dirty brass. The time savings from not having to tumble, sift, dry, whatever, twice makes up for a $30-80 die by the time it wears out from carbon abrasion. YMMV If the brass gets muddy I'll either clean it first or toss it, but just regular fired stuff I run it.

Anneal
lube
size & deprime
clean
trim/chamfer/debur
prime
load

Been at it for 15+ years and haven't worn a die out yet.
Do you brush necks ut after annealing, or count on tumbling to clean them after sizing?

I was wondering how long it would take to wear out a die. I have run thousands and thousands of 223 through one of my sizing dies.

Do you brush necks ut after annealing, or count on tumbling to clean them after sizing?

I was wondering how long it would take to wear out a die. I have run thousands and thousands of 223 through one of my sizing dies.

Regular dies don't wear out from normal operations.
Dirt, grit and carbon can do a die in.
Usually what happens is that a few pieces of grit get between the die and the brass which causes scratches in the interior of the die.
These scratches can be polished out with fine emory cloth and you're back in business.

For carbide pistol dies, I've run 55,000 per day through exterior modified Lee dies.
(I used to work for an ammunition manufacturer)
The dies were 2yrs old when I began working there.
I have no idea how many cycles they did, but I'd put money on several million.

I don't brush necks. I usually SS wet tumble, but lately I've just been wet tumbling the cases with Dawn and calling it good (no pins). Mostly just to get the resizing lube off the cases.

I see, i only use corn cob to get the lube off after sizing. I have been told annealing leaves something in the neck that needs removed. Any thoughts on that?

My dad was scolding me, :ROFLMAO: , for not brushing out necks before sizing. He said he wore out an expander ball in a die once. I just always figured it had to be faulty somehow. I don't think my mom would have ever let him spend enough money to shoot as much as I do.🤫:ROFLMAO:

I see, i only use corn cob to get the lube off after sizing. I have been told annealing leaves something in the neck that needs removed. Any thoughts on that?
In my experience, annealing doesn't add anything at all. In fact, the heat might assist to burn out some crap!
However, in the search for consistent neck tension and velocity, I always scrub the inside of the neck with a nylon brush.
Several years ago I started using powdered graphite as bullet seating lube. I do not recall how small that powder is measured. It did come with a "wear PPE" warning label....the wife gave me a little shallow make-up jar that I filled about 3/4 with some 8 shot (I think, might be 9) and I added some of the graphite. Before I charge a case, I just dip the mouth in, give it a twist or 2. About every 1000 rounds I add a little graphite to the jar, screw on the lid and shake it for about a minute.

Just wait until YOU'RE 70, Bub.
Just wait until YOU'RE 70, Bub.

That dog don't hunt!

1620916424810.png