• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips/Drills to get ready for ASC Fall match

Re: Tips/Drills to get ready for ASC Fall match

i just got back from my first asc weekend and i am speechless. what a great place and a great bunch of people.

Anybody got any pics from this weekend's match?
And yes, don't drink to much Fri or Sat night during the match
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> don't drink to much Fri or Sat night during the match
smile.gif
</div></div>

Slug - Do I need to post some pics for nostalgia?
smile.gif

PLEASE DO! I still have yet to see the true "Thinking Man" picture!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody got any pics from this weekend's match?
And yes, don't drink to much Fri or Sat night during the match
smile.gif
</div></div>

Slug, I have some great pics that I will try to post soon. Here are the scores from the new shooters match.

Place, Name, Score
1 Billy Dale 50
2 Mike Bowers 51
3 Jay Harris 52
4 Marc Soulie 55
5 Tom Pohuski Sr. 57
6 Benjie 57
7 Scott Pringle 60
8 Joe Walls 61
9 Scott Carroll 61
10 Jamie Ogburn 61
11 Ryan Kerr 63
12 Bill Meosa 65
13 Michael Pohuski 66
14 Tom Pohuski 66
15 Dan Brown 72
16 Tim Humston 73
17 Jason Lu 73
18 Eric Underriner 74
19 Sean Ricketts 79
20 John Boney 80
21 Andy Sapp 81
22 Randy Bryce 82
23 Geoff Martel 84
24 Kurt Olsen 85
25 L Keenan 86
26 Mike Heriot 89
27 Bill Hurte 93

The weekend was a blast. That was one of best times I have ever had shooting!!

BIG THANKS to Rod, John, Brock, Emmett and Trey and the entire crew for all the hard work and effort that goes into making the ASC what it is. Also a special thanks to Vern and Ed for the awesome train up I learned a lot!! I mainly learned that I still have a lot to learn! <span style="font-weight: bold">Thanks to all of the sponsors</span> that put all the awesome prizes on the table for us, here is a list of a few of them.

American Precision Arms
Cor-Bon Ammo
US Optics
Leica
Badger Ordnance
Manners Stocks
Broughton Barrels
Sniper Company
and many others.

Brock's gourmet beef tenderloin made the whole match worth the trip!! I really enjoyed getting to meet some great people and make some great friends! Not to mention getting to witness some great shots being made. Thanks again to everyone that made the event possible and I am already looking forward to the spring match!

Good luck to the alumni group shooting this weekend.

Thanks again for a great weekend!

Mike Bowers

What can I say--the saying is true, "You come down the mountain a different shooter". Without a doubt the single greatest shooting experience of my life ...so far
smile.gif

Words cannot express my gratitude to the gentlemen running this event...nor the quality of all in attendance, be it the range officers or the competitors alike.

In addition, lets not forget the tremendous generosity of the sponser; APA, USO, SAS, Cor-Bon, Red-Tac, Sniper Company, Mil-Dot Master, Badger Ordnance, Leica, Broughton, Manners, Tac-Ready and the others I am forgetting.

Rod, John, Brock, Emmett, Don, Trey and Matt--Thanks for your hardwork and inviting us into your home!

Jered, Dave, Sean, other Dave. Thanks for the spotting and just over-all volunteer help; you guys taught us a helluva lot.

Vern- WOW! More learned in a day than all the preceding years combined!

My personal thanks to the mountain for a not-so-gentle reminder to get my fat, cigarette smoking ass back into the gym!

Most of all--THANKS TO SEVEN GENERATIONS OF THE HARPER FAMILY FOR PRESERVING WHAT CAN ONLY BE DESCRIBED AS A BIG CHUNK OF GOD'S COUNTRY!!

Eric Underriner

Many thanks to ALL of you who had a part in making this match what it was. This as just a first class weekend all around. The scenery, RO's, sponsors, and other shooters were all outstanding. Just an unbelievable weekend.

I spent the first two days bugging the snot out of Tim of Suppressed Armament, asking questions about his cans and such. I have an AAC M4-2K already and am waiting on the transfer for a Liberty Shoofly, and have been really wanting a .308 can badly. It would be a little while before I finished saving up for it, but I was already trying to decide which one I wanted. It didn't take too long talking to Tim and hearing one of his cans shot before I decided that when the time came it would be an SAS titanium can. Lo and behold, after two days of constantly nagging Tim, I won one of his cans on the price table. Guys, Tim donated <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">four</span></span> cans of the winner's choice to this match, two for each week. I know both of us this week chose titanium .308 cans. That is a very generous donation, he really went above and beyond.

Tim, Mike, Eric, the California clan, and all the rest of y'all, it was a pleasure to meet y'all. I'm sure I'll be seeing many of you again, I feel like most of us will be back on the mountain shooting again if we're able.

Man This makes me ready for this weekend. Heading up Friday. RED_SC you are one lucky SOB. To win two cans on a prize table is awesome. Congrats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RED_SC you are one lucky SOB. To win two cans on a prize table is awesome. Congrats. </div></div>

Just to clarify, he didn't win "two" cans - they had two on the table (each weekend) and he got one of them. He is still a lucky SOB (Congrats!), but just not "that" lucky.

I'm glad I got the opportunity to shoot this match - Thank you John, Rod, Brock and crew, and the Sponsors for a prize table to dream about.

And memories I'll never forget....

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just to clarify, he didn't win "two" cans - they had two on the table (each weekend) and he got one of them. He is still a lucky SOB (Congrats!), but just not "that" lucky.
</div></div>

He's talking about two cans at two matches, but I'm still not quite that lucky. This past spring, my uncle won a Liberty Shoofly at the Practical Marksman, and we ended up working out a trade. So, I'm currently waiting on two prize cans.
wink.gif

What a great match. I can't believe how much fun that was and how much I learned I came away a much better rifleman than I was the day I arrived that's for sure. I liked that place so much I'd like to shoot it once a month. I think if I lived there I'd wear out a barrel every 3 or 4 months. Rod, Brock and John are fantastic guys to hang out with and Rod actually has the entire group over to his home for a barbeque that you cannot imagine without having had it. Brock's feast is worth the trip all by itself. I think I hurt myself with how much I ate.

It was good to meet many of you guys in person too. Red_SC, 19Scout77, E.Shell, and many others that I don't know screen names for. I had a great time shooting with you guys and I hope to come train with Ed Shell again soon. I'm posting up some pics in a new thread in just a few...

Marc

ASC is on my short list. I can't wait to make it out one day, hopefully soon!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PLEASE DO! I still have yet to see the true "Thinking Man" picture!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Lets see some pics from the match ... I'll get the ball rolling by showing some from the previous one!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1148781#Post1148781

Sorry Slug, I couldn't resist. That one still makes me laugh.

Sweet!!!
Two cans on the prize table this weekend!
I can hardly wait.

Seriously though,
Having the opportunity to shoot this match is the real prize.
How heavily the sponsors donate to the prize table is a testament to that.
(Not to mention that most of the sponsors participate as well.)
The prizes are really just icing on the cake.

Looking forward to meeting some new faces and catching up with others that I haven't seen in awhile.
Thanks again to everyone that works so hard to put this truely special event together.

Not much to add that's not already been said. Weather was perfect!!!
smile.gif
Had a great time, met a lot of great people and look forward to going back! Nothing like being humbled from shot to shot!
blush.gif

Saturday's dinner was worth the price of admission alone!

Thanks to everyone that made this possible (Rod, John, Broc, Trey, Emmet, etc.)! You guys did a superb job!

Thank you to all the sponsors!

Jay

Re: ASC Fall match New Shooter Pictures

Well the pics I promised, finally.

Day 1: The Train up....

Vern "The Master" Harrison

Vern.jpg

Learning a lot!!!

Train1.jpg

Studying...

Train2.jpg

Applying what we have learned...

Train3.jpg

Benji, Joe, Jay and I applying the lessons.

Train4.jpg

Jered just can't be around guns without shooting something...

Jered.jpg

Next, Day 1 of the match.

Enjoy,
Oneshot

Day 1 of the match continued...

Moving on down the mountain.

team.jpg

Mike1.jpg

Jay on the bale

Sendingit.jpg

Me spotting for Jay.

Hiden.jpg

My turn on the bale.

Sendit.jpg

Team Pohuski on the bale. We really enjoyed shooting with Tom and Tommy.

Tom.jpg

Tommy.jpg

Next, Day 2 of the match.

Oneshot

Day 2 of the match...

CabinRidge2.jpg

Theteam.jpg

The Roof...

JayRoof.jpg

MikeRoof.jpg

The Stress Group Shoot, run to your rifle!!!!

Running.jpg

Shoot the first shot at the 1 inch square and 5 more at the larger target for group. You must reload at least 1 round and all this in under 1 minute after you ran 100 yards.

StressGroup.jpg

The results are in...

TheGroups.jpg

Jay and Mike with our groups. (5 and 6)

5n6Groups.jpg

The new shooter group after 2 days of great fun with great people!!

NewASCshooters.jpg

Thanks again to everyone that made this great weekend possible and I am already looking forward to the spring match.

Mike Bowers

Awesome Mike.

Somehow group #6 being yours doesn't surprise me...
laugh.gif

looks like it was a lot of fun. maybe i'll get a kitchen pass to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome Mike.

Somehow group #6 being yours doesn't surprise me...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Thanks Rob! Like they say, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1eyedjack1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like it was a lot of fun. maybe i'll get a kitchen pass to go. </div></div>

Alex, I wish you had been there. You would have really enjoyed it. You better apply for your kitchen pass now! Sometimes they take a while to clear!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Vern "The Master" Harrison

Vern.jpg

</div></div>

I do believe that was the best looking rifle there!
whistle.gif

laugh.gif

Mike kicked some major butt up on the mountain with the lil 18in 308

great shooting guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do believe that was the best looking rifle there!
whistle.gif

laugh.gif
</div></div>

I have shot it, and it is OK!

I'm fairly certain it wasn't the multicam...

I know this, because I've spent quite a while troubleshooting that very same problem.

i have all ready started talking about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike kicked some major butt up on the mountain with the lil 18in 308

great shooting guys </div></div>

Thanks Benjie!! I had a great time and the little APA did her job in a big way. You and Joe shot great as well. It was a pleasure to get to know you guys and shoot with you. I am looking forward to the spring, we will do it again!!

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where was this at and what were the ranges?

Good job guys! </div></div>

ASC = Allegheny Sniper Challenge located in Seneca Rocks, WV.

Ranges = approximately 100-1100 yards with extreme angles.

Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JHARRIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benjie... order your Schmidt yet?

Jay </div></div>

Jay, it has been ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

ASC is held in the mountains of Seneca Rock WV. The ranges are unknown, in past matches they were out to about 1200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JHARRIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benjie... order your Schmidt yet?

Jay </div></div>

Jay, it has been ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 </div></div>

Nice work Benjie, it is good to see you come over to the dark side. I say dark side because when you buy a couple of Schmidts you can't afford to pay the light bill!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Congrats on your new purchase.

Mike

Well Just got done with this weekends shooting at ASC and I wish our weather had been as nice as yours.

SAT:
On the ridge it was 47 degrees, 27 mph wind, and heavy fog with some rain.

SUN:
Was nice 60 degress with light wind and overcast.

I had a blast. Thanks to all the guys that ran the match.

Michael

Is there a separate thread for the "Alumni Shoot" this past weekend?

Out of all the crap I carried around on the mountain this weekend, I forgot my camera!
(Not like it would have done any good on Saturday.)

Had a great time and after this weekend have finnaly decided to get the metal on my rifle cerakoted once and for all.
I never would have imagined my rifle as rusty as is got.

Thanks to everyone that put so much into putting this on and a big thank you to all of the sponsors for donating so generously.

Another great match by Rod & Brock.Lost 10 shooters Sunday morning. Remember it does not rain on the internet.True test of how your gear. Blaster

Lost=Failed to appear on Sun. This weekend held some really bad weather.Cold rain the entire day sat.And the first 1/2 of Sun.
I never had the rain gear off the entire weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lost=Failed to appear on Sun. This weekend held some really bad weather.Cold rain the entire day sat.And the first 1/2 of Sun.
I never had the rain gear off the entire weekend.</div></div>

Unless my gear broke I can't imagine bailing early (voluntarily). Even if my equipment was utterly useless, I'd still go as a spectator.

I'm sorry I missed this one.

No one bailed from group 2!!!
We all just kept our heads down and moved forward.
It was an excellent squad.
Too bad for the guys that were not able to finnish their COF on Saturday.

Hopefully the "New Shooters" group from the previous week appreciates how good they had it.
From what I understand, the first weekend was as good as it has ever been up there for an event and the second weekend was the worst that it has been.

The good news for us is that Brock's tenderloin tasted pretty good after going up and down the mountain in that weather.
grin.gif

Not all of us bailed. I know for a fact that myself, Pete Pi, and Dave asked to stay on the mountain. There may have been others??? The way it rolled in my eyes was this. Rod was put in a bad spot. Weather was crap and it wasn't really the fact that people were cold. There simply wasn't anything to shoot at. He made the best call he could at that point in time based off the conditions at hand. It wasn't my personal opinion that we leave but Rod bares the burden for the group and made the best decision he could at that time. So in the end our group took all misses for every target that we didn't shoot which came to a lovely 48 additional points. This at the end of the day was the fairest way to handle it.

WARNING to future ASC shooters.................

You may get sprinkled on
The wind could possibly blow more than you are used to
It's always wet in the morning
The weather changes fast
Very rarely are conditions great
Be prepared for Mother Nature
If you show up to the prize table at the end of day 1 you damn well better be there on day 2!

I had a great time. thanks to all involved for making this match run as smoothly as it did. A special thanks to Rod and Brock. the Food ,Company and Comp were all high class. Thanks agian Ray Dawson aka Creep in 2.

All I can say is WOW..... I am grateful to have had the opportunity to shoot in the New Shooter Match. It was the most fun I have had in a long time, and a great opportunity to meet and shoot with a great bunch.

Thanks to Rod, John, Brock and staff that made this match possible. Vern and Ed, thanks to you both for a superb train-up session. The lessons were invaluable. Also, a big thanks to all of those who donated the prizes for the match. Without your support, our sport would not be possible.

Congratulations to Billy Dale for winning the match. Good Shooting!

Looking forward to next year!

Jon

Well said Jered.

It wasn't that folks were wet and cold. We stood at the top of narrow back for just shy of 2 hours and there was nothing to shoot. So to not screw up the match for the guys under the cover of forest, down in the hallow, we went on to Steep & Deep and other stages. Basically, the weather down at the other stages wasn't much better and literally there were no shots to take.

So, while my group was wet, cold and tired, we would have pressed on, if there was something to press on to. Rod again was in a tough position and made the best decision that could be made.

That said, I agree too with Jered, whole-heartedly that if you showed up to the prize table and took some NICE stuff off the table Saturday night, you sure as hell should have been there on Sunday 'cause we all did. Upside was that we finished the Hallow at a FAST pace.

Great time and hope to shoot with many of y'all again in the Spring. Thanks a million to Rod, Brock & crew as your work and effort is immeasurably appreciated. Too, thanks to all the sponsors. I've been to many a match and your generosity is second to none.

Rich