• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Tips for a first-time competitor

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm (finally) competing in F/TR for the first time. I have the basic equipment:

Rifle and ammunition (well... dua:p)
PPE
Bipod and rear bag
Chamber flag
Shooting mat
Dope card (will produce on the morning of the match, for current atmospheric conditions)

Binoculars
Notepad/pens
Camera
Drinking water, snacks, etc

What else should I bring?
Any other 'words from the wise'?

Not sure what PPE is, but sure, bring it. Also have cleaning gear and a cleaning rod handy. Doing so, ensures there will be no need for them. Bring earmuffs and a brimmed hat or cap.

Never be the first to fire.
Never be the first to bring your rifle to the line.
Never be the first to leave the pits or go to the pits.
Bring you ears, hat and water to the pits.

Be safe and listen to that they have to say.

Never be the first to fire.
Never be the first to bring your rifle to the line.
Never be the first to leave the pits or go to the pits.
Bring you ears, hat and water to the pits....
OK, I'll bite. I've not yet shot in a precision rifle comp, but I've shot a few pistol comps.

Please explain the advice above. I'm truly interested in the why's.

OK, I'll bite. I've not yet shot in a precision rifle comp, but I've shot a few pistol comps.

Please explain the advice above. I'm truly interested in the why's.

Please remember this was directed to a newbie, someone who has never been to a competition.

I have seen people fire during prep time. Always newbies. If they don't disqualify you, you will be penalized 10 points.

I have seen people bring up their rifles before the MD allows it; in big matches, this could be nasty.

I have seen people leave the pits as soon as the word that firing is complete, before the pits are unsealed. Those were newbies who did know about pits seal and unseal. Scares the crap out of the MD on the line to see people coming out before (s)he has declared the pits unsealed.

I have seen people start to walk to the pits as soon as they had finished shooting. I have seen others walk to the pits as soon as the ceasefire is called. Always newbies who have not groked the cadence yet.

You need to bring your earmuffs to the pits because even at 1000 yards the supersonic crack is LOUD and painful. A brimmed hat is good to have when the shooter hits the spotter. You can also be in the pits for a few hours, so you want to bring water and snacks.

At Raton on one of the relays, I was in the pits for three hours with rain delays and other snafus. I'm glad I had something to drink and munch on.

Ah, OK. The basics.

I wasn't sure if there were reasons other than the safety and common sense range rules. I thought maybe there was a secret handshake or right-of-passage I should know...;)

First opportunity I get when they have another local match down here, I plan on getting in on the fun and challenge. There's just something about a match that I really enjoy, no matter how well I do. Though doing better is always good, but I guess that is the point.

Rite of passage after a fashion. There is a rhythm to a match. After a few, you'll get it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Bring along an open mind and a sense if humor.

And turn your cell phone off when in the pits or on the firing line...

Yup agreed all above , try and stay calm and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS we are all shooters and everyone is willing to help a new shooter , you will be find after a string or two, after u work the bugs out yor stomach LOL

bring experience in reading wind :)
Good luck , Happy shooting

Last edited:
One of the things Denys is referring to when he says never shoot first is the prep period before you're allow to fire. Many of the matches I've been to use a block time as opposed to a prep and match time. If you're like me and your accustomed to getting a command that "you have a 33 minute block time, you may commence fire when your targets appear" it is very easy to forget where you are at a match like Raton where they give you "Your 3 minute preparation period begins now" and the targets come up. During that 3 minutes you can dry fire and get your rifle set up, but if you shoot you lose the points for that shot (your first shot for record is a miss) , then the targets go down, come back up and you get the command "you have 30 min for your match number ##, your time will begin and you may commence fire when your targets appear"

i remember my first competition. on the way to yours ignore the "butterflies" in your stomach. get there, get out, walk to registration, get your target/relay, and get it done. the hardest part of being the "first time" competitor is the first one. if you have some "moral support" bring it along. many jr's have a "lucky charm" that comes to matches, don't be embarassed to bring yours. i have a favorite hat. most of all remember to "HAVE FUN!"

Yes I have a few tips.

Definitely don't piss off that old fart that takes your money at Ben Avery! Crankiest old !@#$% I ever seen.

When it's your turn to pull targets don't pick the very end and definitely not next to two 13 year old girls who are also pulling targets. They constantly discuss pertinent 13 year old girl stuff. It's incredibly painful.

Definitely look up Phil H. He's a good guy to know, one of the best shooters there and does a great job chambering a rifle.

Before you fire spend a few minutes observing the flags to identify a common wind condition. Try to fire when the flags are in that same position. When the flags lay down be careful because they might be ready to switch directions.

Ask the shooters you'll be scoring and pulling for what their preferences are. Some might want smaller or bigger spotters, and I had a colorblind fellow once who couldn't see the scoring disc if it was orange side out. Saves a little radio chatter if you ask ahead of time.

Same with scoring- ask the shooter how much talking he wants. Usually, people are happy to just have the score called out, but some might want to hear which shot as well. Some might just want quiet.

When scoring, watch carefully - make sure you don't miss any. It's easy to do. Pay attention!

In the pits - watch the dirt not the target!

Sunscreen and water.

Great stuff guys, thanks so much.
Many of the processes and procedures (the 'flow' of the match) I had little understanding of, I now have a better idea of what to expect. More importantly, what NOT to do (priceless!)

Thanks again fellas, wish me luck:D

Welcome to one of the most addicting sports there is. In addition to what you have listed, and what everyone else has suggested I would recomend bringing a camp chair, a spotting scope, a match book, and a print out of the beaufort wind scale. The camp chair and spotting scope have obvious applications, the match book is for all of the smokers in the pits, when their lighters malfunction, you are now the most popular guy in the pit. The print out of the wind scale will help you determine wind speed based of any indicator on the range, and will help you not second guess yourself on your wind calls. Good luck and calm winds my friend.

I hope people are still reading this as I need help as well. I too am looking at shooting in my first competition (F-TR). I am having a hard time finding one in Utah, which surprises me. I have a Browning 308 TCT Varmint with a Harris bi-pod and I am putting a Vortex pst 6.5-24x50 on it. I have a sand bag and the personal protection equipment needed. I am shooting a sierra 168 matchking at 2600 to 2700 fps. I have shot a .46 inch group at 200 yards. I know I need to shoot a lot longer than that to get ready for any competition. I am open to any advice and I have enjoyed reading the postings above. I would like to know if I'm going to fit in or be completely out of place with my equipment?

link to my gun.

https://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail-historic.asp?fid=001B&cid=035&tid=705

Dear lord when is Sierra going to put the notice on this damned bullet that says 'UNDER NO CONDITIONS USE THIS BULLET BEYOND 800 YARDS IN A 308'

Seriously, get something else. It has been flogged to death on ever shooting site on the WWW. The 168 SMK was designed for 300m competitions, it will work well to 600 yards, but the low BC, steep boat tail and weight distribution of the bullet causes it to go haywire at about 850 yards. Do not take that bullet to the line at 1000 yards. There are other 168s, 155s, 175, 185s, 190s, etc. that will work but not the 168 SMK.

As long as you're shooting a midrange match (300-600 yd), you should do just fine with what you have, particularly if you can routinely shoot quarter minute groups with it at 200 yd. You'll give up a little bit in terms of velocity and wind resistance with the 22" barrel and the 168 SMK, but don't worry about that yet...just go shoot, learn something, and have fun. As XTR mentioned, don't waste your time trying the 168s at that velocity past 800 yd or so, they're probably not going to work out so well. But you'd be much better off getting your feet wet in midrange matches before trying long range (800-1000 yd) anyhow. Once you have a few matches under your belt, you'll have a much better idea of how things work and how you might improve your scores.

I think you'll find if you keep at it that eventually you'll want more barrel (28"-32" are common lengths), a bipod with a wider stance (better stability), a scope with more mag (30-50X top end is common), and probably to start thinking about reloading if you don't already. However, none of that should keep you from getting started and participating now. You can learn a lot with what you have and if you can improve your wind reading skills, likely shoot some decent scores in midrange matches. Unless there a bunch of really top level shooters (ie. it's a local match), I think you'll do ok with what you have. You can worry about the rest when you're in a better position to make informed choices if you decide at some point to upgrade your current equipment.

Pay attention, relax, follow instructions, ask questions if you don't know what to do, and have fun.

Water, lunch, sunscreen, a hat, and insect repellent.

I want to thank y'all for the advice. I had no idea the Sierra 168 was so bad beyond the 800 yard mark. I have been doing my own reloading and when I shot the quarter minute at 200 four times in a row, I thought I had lucked into the right load. I guess it's time to start over.

Sounds like you found a great load, just not beyond 800 yards. If you happen to find one just as good with a higher BC bullet, you'll be lucky. Still waiting to develop some loads for mine...

If you are being cost conscious try to find some Hornady 178s, they shoot very well at 1/3 less than the cost of Bergers, the 175SMK is a good bullet but in serous competition it has been replaced for several yrs now; however, when you are starting out either of those bullets will get you more shooting for less $$ and quite frankly the bullet isn't going to make a lot of difference in your scores early on. In the end you are going to want to shoot the Berger 185 Jugs(aka: OTM, they are the same bullet in different boxes). If you're rifle won't shoot them there is something wrong with it. Easiest bullet I've ever loaded.

I've been suitably impressed with the Nosler CC offering in 175gr. It's even cheaper than the Sierra at PVI, going for about $28/100. That's right about half the price of my beloved 180JLK LBTs, and I use those in my "tacticool" rifles.

Focus, do not shoot someone else's target! Read your number board for your firing point before you read conditions and commit to a shot!!!! Nothing worse than shooting an X on another guy's target!

On shooting the 168 SMK's, I found out that I scored a few more 9's. I switched to Bergers, and my score elevated . I'm not a high master or anything, but every little bit helps.

Since everybody else has talked about all the have to's and safety precautions I will mention load. If you can't consistently put 10 shots under and inch (fliers included) at 300 yards, you need more load development. That is if you want to win, your gonna have fun regardless.