• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips/tricks for packing powder/primers for 2 year storage?

Onewolf42

Peon
Minuteman
In a month or two, I will be moving to an apartment for 12-24 months while my new house is being built and I will be putting most of my 'stuff' into storage for that time period.

I have about 50 lbs of powder and about 15K primers that I need to pack/store.

Any advice for "do's" and "don'ts" for packing/storing powder and primers?

Thanks.

Just rent a climate controlled storage unit…

I _could_ store the stuff in my apartment. Not sure if that would violate any lease rules/regulations. :)
Thats what everyone else does.

Years old 4064 in the house that works the same as it did when pops originally got it.

Thats what everyone else does.

Years old 4064 in the house that works the same as it did when pops originally got it.
Yeah, my first taste of reloading was in the living room of a buddy's appt, using a RCBS rock chucker affixed to what can only be described as a TV tray...

you could just sell it and buy fresh in 2 years if your even allowed to own a gun then

Reactions: SniperBro
when I moved to TX I knew there was gonna be a wait until the new house was built. Mover didn’t want to deal with the guns and forbid moving powder and ammo. I moved all that myself and kept it in the apartment. Just used the cardboard boxes that 5000 primers come in. powder stayed in its plastic jug and they were then put into a medium moving box.Do not put primers or powder in metal ammo cans, their regular packaging is designed so they will burn off if in a fire.

Metal surplus can that have the latch and seal while great for storage are not great for flammable powder.

Yeah, ‘ammo cans’ were made for loaded ammo.

Metal surplus can that have the latch and seal while great for storage are not great for flammable powder.
Have worked for me for the last 40+ years or so.
The tall 20mm cans work great, I can fit 6x 1 lb containers (depending on shape) in one, sometimes 5 and as many as 8 if the IMR style.
The older Herco cardboard style containers I put into vacuum sealed "seal-a-meal' type bags if going for long term storage before putting into ammo cans. I don't think they make those any longer, but I still have a few.