• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tired of awful Applied Ballistics products

Sorry for the late response, busy week end. Go to weather mode, select compass, set compass in True North mode. Back out to calibrate compass. When you do this it seems to work better if you hold the unit out in front of you and then turn in a circle. Turn should be about 3 seconds, if you go to slow or fast it will time out. Once it is calibrated back out and set compass back in Magnetic North mode, done. Back out and go back in ballistics mode.

I’ve put 1900 rounds through my current barrel sense Christmas...shit I’m slacking going to have to pick it up

You and me both! If nothing changes I'm only going to have about 5k rounds downrange this year, I knew the 'Rona was going to hurt my round count but I never realized how much time I wasted on my gadgets?! 🤯

You and me both! If nothing changes I'm only going to have about 5k rounds downrange this year, I knew the 'Rona was going to hurt my round count but I never realized how much time I wasted on my gadgets?! 🤯

Screenshot_20200622-084157_Brave.jpg

Yep. Checks out.

One other thing, now that I have read the entire thread. Do Not store your kestrel with anything Magnetic. Your electronic hearing protection, chamber chillers etc. Magnets wipe out the compass. Keep them separate.

I’m normally half way through barrel #2 by now

I’m not a match shooter but I think is safe to say I’ve shot more in the last 6 months than I usually do in a year.
:)

Social distancing is awesome!

Reactions: magtech
One other thing, now that I have read the entire thread. Do Not store your kestrel with anything Magnetic. Your electronic hearing protection, chamber chillers etc. Magnets wipe out the compass. Keep them separate.
Thank you I did not know that

Reactions: TACC
I typically shoot twice a week
Including tomorrow it will be three this week
:)
I’ve burned almost 18# of Powder So far this year.
I’ve put 1900 rounds through my current barrel sense Christmas...shit I’m slacking going to have to pick it up

I had so hoped to receive several “my cock is bigger” comments in reply to mine. Thank you kindly for not disappointing.

Your cock lengths notwithstanding, my reply is still valid for what I would guess is a MAJORITY of the readers of this forum: they’d make stronger gains by shooting the rifles than with more fucking with things EXCEPT actually triggering live rounds (or dry.)

I’ve had some experience with that kind of shooter on actual ranges. They come out, win the tailgate expo and have coffee, the shooting starts and stops, and 75% of them never come back. The 25% end up sucking up the fact that they don’t shoot as well as the internet says they should...and they usually go back to basics to become pretty good with a rifle.

But like I said: you do you.

I won’t look at yours, and you don’t look at mine.

• Haha
Reactions: Mk32784
Sorry for the late response, busy week end. Go to weather mode, select compass, set compass in True North mode. Back out to calibrate compass. When you do this it seems to work better if you hold the unit out in front of you and then turn in a circle. Turn should be about 3 seconds, if you go to slow or fast it will time out. Once it is calibrated back out and set compass back in Magnetic North mode, done. Back out and go back in ballistics mode.
Great deal

Thanks for the quick response and the info

I agree with the original post. As a software developer, i.e. programmer, most of the AB software is utter crap. If it was free software it would be sub par in the world of free software/open source. Given what it costs, it's crap. Every time a version of their software is released it takes me half a dozen downloads and screwing around to get the upgrade to install reliably. Last time I tried to upgrade a Fortrex 701, the link to the download on their site was gone. I messaged AB and they told me to check the Garmin site. No link...and so far no luck finding what I need.

Then there's the Applied Ballistics Analytics software. Again, major problems upgrading. Craptasticly bad install/upgrade software which requires very carefully following bad advice given in crap videos. The ability to save and retrieve different loads is horrible; anyone with any sense would expect there to be an ability for sub folders by caliber, then load within that caliber. With AB Anal-ytics it's all just one long list. And that list is text limited to very short titles which means you can't have names like "Ruger Range 5.56 - 58gr HPBT" I'm lucky to get in ones named "RRanch5.56pro" and "RRanch7.62pro"

This is hardly rocket science folks. I won't be buying anything more from them. There's other software around, and I still have my old Horus Vision software which runs on an ipaq.

Reactions: LastShot300
I agree with the original post. As a software developer, i.e. programmer, most of the AB software is utter crap. If it was free software it would be sub par in the world of free software/open source. Given what it costs, it's crap. Every time a version of their software is released it takes me half a dozen downloads and screwing around to get the upgrade to install reliably. Last time I tried to upgrade a Fortrex 701, the link to the download on their site was gone. I messaged AB and they told me to check the Garmin site. No link...and so far no luck finding what I need.

Then there's the Applied Ballistics Analytics software. Again, major problems upgrading. Craptasticly bad install/upgrade software which requires very carefully following bad advice given in crap videos. The ability to save and retrieve different loads is horrible; anyone with any sense would expect there to be an ability for sub folders by caliber, then load within that caliber. With AB Anal-ytics it's all just one long list. And that list is text limited to very short titles which means you can't have names like "Ruger Range 5.56 - 58gr HPBT" I'm lucky to get in ones named "RRanch5.56pro" and "RRanch7.62pro"

This is hardly rocket science folks. I won't be buying anything more from them. There's other software around, and I still have my old Horus Vision software which runs on an ipaq.
You need to download garmin express. Find it here:

the rest is self explanatory.

ive definitely complained about the analytics software directly to AB. Not sure why they won’t move into the modern era.

Reactions: EternalNoob

Check out Coldbore, half the price, ten times better running on a proprietary engine, then compare it to Analytics. Worth a deep look. I agree, AB software reminds me of the dark DOS era and the way you put it is right on the money, even for free it is a joke, completely amateur programming.

ive definitely complained about the analytics software directly to AB. Not sure why they won’t move into the modern era.
my guess is because AB is a marketing driven company. They got a name, got some government contracts and they don't care about improving their products anymore.

I can appreciate that everybody has their own way...

..but damn. I sometimes wonder if some if you ever SHOOT the rifle with all the time spent on angst and widgets.

YOU post this^^^

i post this in a joking manner^^^

I had so hoped to receive several “my cock is bigger” comments in reply to mine. Thank you kindly for not disappointing.

Your cock lengths notwithstanding, my reply is still valid for what I would guess is a MAJORITY of the readers of this forum: they’d make stronger gains by shooting the rifles than with more fucking with things EXCEPT actually triggering live rounds (or dry.)

I’ve had some experience with that kind of shooter on actual ranges. They come out, win the tailgate expo and have coffee, the shooting starts and stops, and 75% of them never come back. The 25% end up sucking up the fact that they don’t shoot as well as the internet says they should...and they usually go back to basics to become pretty good with a rifle.

But like I said: you do you.

I won’t look at yours, and you don’t look at mine.

then YOU post this^^^

let me explain something to you.....first off my front door is 10mins from where i shoot and where i shoot is pretty much unlimited distance so yes i shoot...A LOT!!...not bragging(or swinging my dick around)its just a fact...i dont need to drive 1-2-3hrs to the range...im lucky!

i am probably one of the most helpful ppl you have ever met...i cant tell you how many ppl ive helped learn how to shoot...reload...work on their rifles...how to use a reticle ECT.

now as far as "fucking with things"(as you put it)i set my kesterl on a tripod turn it on set the target direction turn on the HUD...simple as that so im not sure what you mean "fucking with things"....its about as easy as putting on a wrist coach or having a dope card attached to the pic rail....its actually faster than when i have to hold my kestrel in my hand....now that said i DO NOT NEED a kestrel i shot for 15-16yrs without one.

Reactions: rockmyglock
hehehe.. 47, you’re doing a great job.

Have fun with this thing, and just ignore guys like me, if what you’re doing is working for you.

I only ever have to reCalibrate mine when I remove the battery
Same here. I have been running Kestrel 5700 Elite with Applied Ballistics for two years now. No issue whatsoever. No issues with Blue Tooth connectivity as well.

This machine has taught me a lot about doping the wind. I use it for PRS practice and competition or anytime I'm taking a long range shot. I see many others at the matches using the same thing.

The AB library is great for selecting a new bullet for a new load. All fields are automatically populated with the correct data. The 10 Powder Temp fields in the program further fine tune your ballistic data and performance. I have never shot better in my life since adding the Kestrel to the bag.

All serious and successful long range shooters I know or observe on the range are using a Kestrel with AB.

Reactions: 338dude
Same here. I have been running Kestrel 5700 Elite with Applied Ballistics for two years now. No issue whatsoever. No issues with Blue Tooth connectivity as well.

This machine has taught me a lot about doping the wind. I use it for PRS practice and competition or anytime I'm taking a long range shot. I see many others at the matches using the same thing.

The AB library is great for selecting a new bullet for a new load. All fields are automatically populated with the correct data. The 10 Powder Temp fields in the program further fine tune your ballistic data and performance. I have never shot better in my life since adding the Kestrel to the bag.

All serious and successful long range shooters I know or observe on the range are using a Kestrel with AB.
Well connectivity would be my only issue and there’s nothing I can do about it as long as I have an iPhone if I had an android phone it would not be a problem at all

Well connectivity would be my only issue and there’s nothing I can do about it as long as I have an iPhone if I had an android phone it would not be a problem at all
I use iPhone. No problem with connectivity. I would send it back.

I use iPhone. No problem with connectivity. I would send it back.
Nothing I can do about it I’ve contacted them many times in the past I’m still running a 4500 with Applied Ballistics, LLC Bluetooth and night vision capability it works fine and really have no reason to replace it I don’t use it with all my phone apps and what not everything I need is right there I just use the Kestrel straight up

Nothing I can do about it I’ve contacted them many times in the past I’m still running a 4500 with Applied Ballistics, LLC Bluetooth and night vision capability it works fine and really have no reason to replace it I don’t use it with all my phone apps and what not everything I need is right there I just use the Kestrel straight up
Ah man, that sucks. Using the phone app makes it so much quicker and easier to add guns and loads. Also, the Powder Temp input is not available without the phone, at least with the 5700 anyway. The phone is also a good backup for your data.

Ah man, that sucks. Using the phone app makes it so much quicker and easier to add guns and loads. Also, the Powder Temp input is not available without the phone, at least with the 5700 anyway. The phone is also a good backup for your data.
It would be nice no doubt when I add a load or a rifle it’s not in the field so I’m never in a hurry maybe I’m just old school nearly 60 now and on a tight budget that is the main reason I have not upgraded yet I will in the future just not yet

Hahah. That’s the problem. The technology has advanced since the 4500. That uses an old Bluetooth protocol that is not compatible with modern mobile devices which use a more efficient protocol. id like my 5700 to connect to my nomad and be able to work with FFS but I know it can’t. So I just move on Like you did. At one point kestrel offered an upgrade and trade in program, you could have taken advantage of that as well.

Hahah. That’s the problem. The technology has advanced since the 4500. That uses an old Bluetooth protocol that is not compatible with modern mobile devices which use a more efficient protocol. id like my 5700 to connect to my nomad and be able to work with FFS but I know it can’t. So I just move on Like you did. At one point kestrel offered an upgrade and trade in program, you could have taken advantage of that as well.
I have not checked lately they did have an offer at one time to give me $100 to buy it for something I paid like 400 for if it would ever break I would do it immediately I just have a very limited budget and other things that I need before I upgrade my Kestrel like I said earlier it works just fine

I don't know anything about amazon prime, but I have a Samsung Galaxy with a compass in it that doesn't have to be re calibrated all the time. Doesn't seem like much to ask for from a $700 instrument.
Every time I try and use my compass the phone wants it recalibrated. Galaxy S9+ My Kestrel hasnt needed it yet.

Screenshot_20200628-215147_One UI Home.jpg