• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Titlting at Windmill (Muzzle Rise 300 WM)

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Rather than rehash some of the good quality info on muzzle rise, am I asking the impossible to take my Stock Rem 700 BDL with no bipod (or brake) to shoot without vertical stringing (still sitting at about 1-1.5 MOA when I'm not pulling flyers--its hot, i'm fat and the cheek weld is a PITA while shooting off a bench, but at least I was outside). Hunting wise, its good. Not exactly a precision rig.

Maybe was just having a rough day at the range

I know there is a ton of info already on muzzle rise, but one of the main ones is loading the bipod (sort of reluctant to add a bipod to this hunting rifle) --is stock position enough to tame this nasty beast?

/feeling crappy but still gonna get better

Last edited:
Are you shooting off a Front rest? With a rear bag? Does the rifle have a muzzle brake? JP and APA and others have brake options with gas vents on top to counter muzzle rise.

Ive got a JP and I’m happy I have it. Cuts recoil but also decreases muzzle rise.

Your range buddies will hate you but an aggressive brake would sure help......

Are you using your grasping fingers (middle, ring, and pinkie) of your shooting hand to firmly pull the rifle butt into your shoulder pocket?

I'll be honest, i really don't want to brake this one (sentimental). I may just get a different 300WM that I can use MB and Supressor, along with bipod.

Recoild was pretty solid today, got a decelerator pad and was comfortable, so i feel like I had a good tight pull. I may be a little low and need to adjust

I will say that I had a hell of a time with the rear bag and the standard hunting stock. Recoil kept slaming the pistol grip into my support hand. I think maybe I should get a more precision orientied setup. Focus today was on getting data for handloads, trying to get more sqaure behind the rifle (benches have these cutouts that want to force you to one side) and managing recoil physically. (mission accomplished--50 rounds of 300 in a t-shirt and a 7lb rifle)

Next time we'll see if we can get ol flippy to behave.

Don’t use the bench cutouts. They’re a bad invention. They teach bad habits.

Move your stool around to the back of the bench. Move the rifle butt Back toward the rear edge of the bench. Square your shoulders to the rifle and to the target. This way you can use your upper body to counter the recoil like you would in the prone.

Use your shooting hand (graspers = middle ring and pinkie; not the pincers = thumb and fore finger) to snug the rifle into your shoulder pocket.

Use The thumb and fore finger of your support hand to stabilize any lateral movement of the butt stock and manipulate the rear bag for vertical control using only your middle, ring, and pinkie fingers.

Reactions: DocRDS