• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TL3 with aw cut

cageli

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2014
WA
folks, my tl3 runs much smoother with aics than aw, did I do something wrong?

As good as the TL3 action is, and it is very good, AW Magazines were designed to run with 3 lug actions not two like the TL3. They can run in a two lugger, but not as smoothly and bobble free. AICS mags on the other hand present the cartridge rim at the ideal angle for a two lug action. IMHO and YMMV

If the rifle feeds and shoots well does it really matter?

As good as the TL3 action is, and it is very good, AW Magazines were designed to run with 3 lug actions not two like the TL3. They can run in a two lugger, but not as smoothly and bobble free. AICS mags on the other hand present the cartridge rim at the ideal angle for a two lug action. IMHO and YMMV

Makes sense, thanks. My main issue is the two lug and controlled feed bumps the ammo on the side and cause scratches and concentricity issues. It still feeds and shoot s reasonably well from AW, but just not as good when using AICS and I have tested couple times. Guess I'll stick with AICS here and save the AW hassle.

I had feeding problems with both of the TL3s I have using AW mags. Switched to ARC mags and everything has been dandy.

Tried AW mags, had issues, regular AICS run perfectly...why bother with anything else

This is basically where the arc mag comes in assuming they've ironed out all the issues. I run AW mags in my Tempest, but that's it. Have no intention of using it in our bighorns.

My TL-3 are AW cut but I run ARC mags in them. Filed the wings off the followers and polished the follower with steel wool afterwards. Runs like butter.

My TL-3 are AW cut but I run ARC mags in them. Filed the wings off the followers and polished the follower with steel wool afterwards. Runs like butter.

Why did you polish the follower and where did you do it? I have a surgeon action cut for aw mags and the ARC mags sort of work. Still have the problem of the round below another one getting drug forward and causing jams.

Why did you polish the follower and where did you do it? I have a surgeon action cut for aw mags and the ARC mags sort of work. Still have the problem of the round below another one getting drug forward and causing jams.

I didn't have much problem with them initially, but a couple times the rounds would nosedive and the follower would jam in the nose-down position. Confirmed that there was nothing in my action/chassis causing the rounds to nosedive (no interference or lip from mag transitioning to feed ramp) and after playing with the mag a bit I could see that the issue was with the little "wings" on the side of the follower towards the front getting caught any time the follower would be off axis. Basically you could make the nose of the follower get stuck in the down position just by pushing the front of the follower down into the mag.

I filed off the wings of the follower until they were inside the edge of the profile of the follower when viewed from above. I used a really rough rasp file at first, then a fine file, then some 000 steel wool. Goal was to minimize friction inside the mag between the follower and the walls of the mag. Wanted any rough spots to be completely gone and have it be super slick. Main areas I focused on were the top leading edges and corners on the front of the follower. I cleaned out the inside of the mag and then even did a light spritz of silicone lubricant on the follower and inside the mag walls, then completely wiped it dry with a clean cloth to remove any excess residue.

So far running like a champ, maybe 500 rounds and two matches with no issues and haven't gone back to clean the mags again.