• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To All Marines !!

u.jpg

Happy birthday Devil Dogs, I used to tip a couple beers back on this wonderful, yet reflective day to all the Marines that can’t tip one back anymore. Fuck who am I kidding, I’m getting smashed. Probably be hammered right through Veterans Day as well. Dad was Army, Korea Combat Vet and my step dad was Army 82nd airborne WWII, those two deserve a toast every damn day ! But today is for my Marine brothers, salute!

Finally got a new hunting lease in Ohio. Hung some stands and the first hunt on the property was yesterday. Saw six or seven doe and had a rather good day hunting. We went out to eat and the waitress asked if the check was together or separate. My hunting bud spoke up and said that he would pay and I said that I would be celebrating the Marine birthday and drinking. So give me the bill because I don't think that he can afford to pay for the amount I was going to drink. (He can). She said that she thought it was tomorrow. I said you are correct but I plan on gutting deer and taking them to the processor tomorrow night and I might not get to celebrate properly. And if that falls through I will be back tomorrow after dark. She said, then it's true about y'all being drinkers. She smiled and said that she would be back in a minute with the large glass.
Semper Fi

Finally got a new hunting lease in Ohio. Hung some stands and the first hunt on the property was yesterday. Saw six or seven doe and had a rather good day hunting. We went out to eat and the waitress asked if the check was together or separate. My hunting bud spoke up and said that he would pay and I said that I would be celebrating the Marine birthday and drinking. So give me the bill because I don't think that he can afford to pay for the amount I was going to drink. (He can). She said that she thought it was tomorrow. I said you are correct but I plan on gutting deer and taking them to the processor tomorrow night and I might not get to celebrate properly. And if that falls through I will be back tomorrow after dark. She said, then it's true about y'all being drinkers. She smiled and said that she would be back in a minute with the large glass.
Semper Fi
And no pics of said lease? Sheesh man the Corps didn’t tech you anything.

Tidbits:

November 10, 1775 - Happy Birthday U.S. Marines. On this date, the Continental Congress passed a resolution to raise “two Battalions of Marines be raised” and they were to serve as landing forces for the United States Navy. The resolution was drafted by John Adams. The Continental Navy and the United States Marines were deactivated in 1783. The United States Congress established the United States Navy in 1789 and on July 11th of that year, the Marines were made a permanent part of the military. President John Adams signed the bill.

As part of the celebration of the birthday of the United States Marines, I want to talk about one of my favorite Marines, Staff Sargent Reckless. I know many of you know the story of Staff Sargent Reckless but for those who don’t, here is an abbreviated version.

On June 25th, 1950, the Korean War broke out. Korea isn’t the most pleasant place. The terrain is rough; when it rains, the mud is more like goo and soldiers and military vehicles have a terrible time. Winter is also lousy. One of the units sent to Korea was a Recoilless Rifle Platoon which was part of the 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. Recoilless Rifles are 105-millimeter (4 inch) guns. They are effective antitank guns lightweight and portable. The shell for the Recoilless Rifles weighs 24 pounds each so they are difficult to lug around.

The platoon decided they buy a horse to help with hauling the ammunition for the Recoilless Rifles. A horse was a much better suited for the conditions and could carry 8 rounds. The platoon found a Mongolian horse at a South Korean racetrack. The owner needed a prosthetic leg for his sister, so he reluctantly sold the horse for $250 to the platoon. He reportedly cried to see the horse go.

The Marines named the horse Reckless. They trained her and she learned quickly. She got used to the sounds of battle, the blast of artillery shells leaving and coming in. In fact, she ignored them. Reckless was smart and after a few times going to and from a position she could not only remember the way, but she would also go back and forth on her own. Soon she was promoted to Corporal Reckless. Reckless fit right in with her fellow Marines. The Marines loved her and she loved them. She was given free rein to run around the camp. She loved beer, Coca-Cola, and mashed potatoes. She would eat about anything and it didn’t bother her. She often slept inside the tents with the other Marines. She was protected from the weather. She was “one of the boys”. It was evident that Reckless was born to be a Marine.

She had many missions, but her finest hour came during the Battle of Vegas Outpost. Reckless distinguished herself above and beyond the call of duty. The Marines were greatly outnumbered and they needed ammunition for the Recoilless Rifle badly. Reckless learned the route quickly. Despite the fierce battle going on, Reckless made 51 trips back and forth between the front lines carrying 386 rounds of Recoilless Rifle Shells to the Marines and bring wounded Marines back to base for medical treatment. Reckless had carried between 4 and 5 tons of ammunition, supplies, and wound soldiers during the battle all on her own. Reckless was wounded twice from shrapnel but nothing deterred her from her mission. She received two Purple Hearts and was promoted to Corporal. Corporal Reckless was the first horse to be part of an amphibious landing. Corporal Reckless could string as much wire as 12 men on foot. She performed many duties in her Marine career.

When she arrived back in the United States, the Department of Agriculture gave her a rough time. She was tested for a sexually transmitted disease which the Marines considered an affront to her honor. The Marines were told if she didn’t pass, she would be destroyed which incensed the Marines. Despite all the trials and tribulations of getting Reckless home, she made it in time for the Marine Birthday celebration. She ate both her cake and the flower arrangements.

She was promoted to Sargent by the commander of the 1st Marine Division in 1954 before a reviewing stand. In 1959, Sargent Reckless was promoted to Staff Sargent, personally by the Commandant of the Marine Corps with 1700 Marines marching in review. In lieu of a pension, Reckless retired to Camp Pendleton. She had four folds. She died in 1968 at the age of 19 or 20. Staff Sargent Reckless was buried with full military honors. A statue of Staff Sargent Reckless was unveiled at the National Marine Corps Museum on July 26th, 2013. A lock of her tail hair is in the base of her statue. There is a quote from one of the Marines who served with her, Sargent Harold Wadley. “The spirit of her loneliness and her loyalty, in spite of the danger, was something to behold. Hurting. Determined. And alone. That’s the image I have imprinted on my mind and heart forever “.
Staff Sargent Reckless, America’s war horse.

Little known story from the founding...

So the Marine Recruiter set up at the Tun Tavern to bring in the first Marines.

About 8 in the morning, the first recruit arrives and signs up. Says to the recruiter "What should I do now?"

Recruiter says... "Just tell the barkeep what you want and folks will be along shortly to induct you into the Corps."

Recruit walks up to the bar and says "Gimme a hot buttered rum!!!"

About this time, the second recruit comes in. Signs up. Says to the recruiter "What should I do now?"

Recruiter says... "Just tell the barkeep what you want and folks will be along shortly to induct you into the Corps."

Recruit walks up to the bar and says "Give me a hot buttered rum!"

A few minutes later, a third recruit comes in. Signs up. Says to the recruiter "What should I do now?"
Recruiter says "Just tell the barkeep what you want and folks will be along shortly to induct you into the Corps."

Recruit walks up to the bar and says "Gimme a Mulled wine!!!"

First recruit turns to the second recruit and says... "Fuck, this isn't like the old Corps."

Happy birthday you Crayon-sucking deplorables. You all rock!

Sirhr

And no pics of said lease? Sheesh man the Corps didn’t tech you anything.
There's little to no phone signal from my stand and the pictures wouldn't load to post.
PXL_20221110_115322345.jpg

Just after sunset I had a button buck come down from the treeline behind the cedar. He hung out for a bit and entered the woods to the right. Then a young doe came from the left. She got a pass

Reactions: TheBigCountry