• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

To build or buy

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
Hi folks, while I am new to Sniper’s Hide, I’m not new to precision shooting. However, my shooting was with black powder rifles. Now, at the not so tender age of 70, it’s time for a new journey. In my reading of forums, I can see that in my price range of $1,200-$1,500, there are many advantages to building up a rifle from various fine components, or just buy a rifle based on suggestions and recommendations found here on the site. I will confess that I am leaning toward buying a good “starter” rifle that needs only a scope, bi-pod, ammunition, and lots of practice. I have lots of time to buy the other necessities as they arise. Further, while I made numerous modifications to my black powder rifles, I am not a armorer. However, I have read about great builds that might safe me money, and provide better product for PRS competition. Competitive shooting will be way down the road. I want to thank any contributors in advance for your wisdom and patience. I am told that 70 is the new 50!

Plenty of good starter rifles out there.

But from my experience I bought a nice long range rifle and very soon I began switching out parts one at a time for the pieces I wanted: better trigger, better chassis, etc.

I’d take that same money and get the pieces you want from the beginning.

I agree that building would be the most ideal, but yeah it would push your budget. As far as starter rifles though, I had a Bergara b14 hmr and it shot great with factory hornady match ammo. Eventually I sold it and started going the custom route though. Also a Tikka T3x could be had for a decent price and leave you with some options for upgrades (pre fits and different chassis options) if you decide to get more invested. Tikkas are great rifles in my opinion. One other factory rifle that has caught my attention is the Savage 110 Ultralight. I believe it retails in the $1,100 range and has a proof carbon barrel. Never touched one but it’s an attractive option at a decent price. Although for PRS you might want a heavier gun. The bergara seems like a good mix of being heavier but not super heavy... I’m probably ramble like I always do so I’ll stop there lol. Welcome to the site and good luck on this rabbit hole of a journey!

You can buy a decent "Starter" rifle but you will soon change out the trigger, buy better glass, change out the stock. So why not start with an action and build what you want the first time.

YMMV, but Good Luck!

I'm in the same place as the OP. I think I'd like to build a 7SAUM on a long action CADEX chasis. This probably means getting a barreled action custom made? There's a lot I don't know and would like to talk to an expert. Anyone recommend a good source to contact for some advice besides this forum?

IMO, getting good parts is only a part of the equation.

The builder matters, and suggest you be careful about the "smith" you choose for the work.

Specific parts may require some lead time (stock/chassis, specific barrel contour/length/twist, etc.) and the "smith" may have a backlog, so the wait time may be longer than you'd like/need.

Longest I've waited was a couple of years for a build. Others have taken about a year.

The shortest wait I've had was about 4 months, (Jon Beanland) and that rifle may be the most accurate one I've ever used.

If you procure a rifle that is ready to run, you'd avoid this stuff, buy the rifle, get it scoped, get ammo, and then practice, practice.

Lots of good information available on the forum, use the search feature.

IMO, getting good parts is only a part of the equation.

The builder matters, and suggest you be careful about the "smith" you choose for the work.

Specific parts may require some lead time (stock/chassis, specific barrel contour/length/twist, etc.) and the "smith" may have a backlog, so the wait time may be longer than you'd like/need.

Longest I've waited was a couple of years for a build. Others have taken about a year.

The shortest wait I've had was about 4 months, (Jon Beanland) and that rifle may be the most accurate one I've ever used.

If you procure a rifle that is ready to run, you'd avoid this stuff, buy the rifle, get it scoped, get ammo, and then practice, practice.

Lots of good information available on the forum, use the search feature.
Thank you Diablo, your comments reflects my thinking, I believe.

I want to send out huge thanks to all those who have given me thought provoking posts thus far. If the decision was easy, in my opinion, it would not be near as fun. I'm having a blast reading posts by folks far more experienced and infinitely wiser than myself. Thanks you folks. I look forward to more wisdom.

Every time I read the “assemble a custom gun” recommendations it makes me wonder if all these people only have one rifle? I recommend you buy something “off the shelf” from Bergara or Tikka or any other quality mfr for a first rifle. Add a quality optic. Then put hundreds or thousands of rounds through it seeing how well you can shoot and beginning to understand how far you want to go. Heck, begin to spec out and build a custom rifle then as your SECOND rifle. Bet it will be exactly what you need with no wasted spend and then you will have two great rifles. Just make sure you set your budget right - its tough to get something significantly better than “off the shelf” without spending at least $3k. Those folks at Bergara, Tikka, etc have quite an advantage with the scale they build at. Not like they don't have great folks working there either.

This is a tough call because all of us that have been through it and have bought an off the shelf rifle that we've dumped tons of money into and still weren't happy with are screaming BUILD! But at the same time we may have not built the same rifle we ended up with if we weren't so disappointed in that first rifle. The good thing about building is if you buy popular/desirable items new or even used off the PX, you can resell them for a very small loss if you don't like them.

It'll push the budget but... I hear this a lot in archery too. It's really easy to say when you're spending somebody else's money. But when your budget is just that, a budget, the advice should be most reasonably how to stay within it. So for those that are saying it'll push the budget some... Great, send the lp the difference in money spent.

Look in the classified sections to find your next rifle. You'll get a lot more rifle for the money and most likely have components that you would be replacing anyway.

But what about the barrel... It's consumable product and if you're not regularly standing on the podium in the competitions, it's not going to make any difference.