• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

To butthook or not to butthook. That is the question.

Sig33

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Southern Cal
I'm deciding on a stock for my next build, and I really like the Manners t4a, or McM a4. Both stocks obviously have butthooks which I have enjoyed using on prior rifles. But today I shot my buddy's manners t2a, which has no butthook. I really found it easy to use the slanted rear portion of the t2 to adjust for elevation instead of adjusting the rear bag. I just slid the bag forward or back, or pushed the rifle forward or back. It was really nice and simple.

So, my question is this: what are the benefits of having a butthook vs not having one (ie a slanted rear bottom end)? Is there any practical benefits for a field rifle for one or the other?

The rifle will be used for competition/field use. I may have my rear bag in some situations, I may not. No lead sleds or anything like that when I shoot.

Thanks guys.

I just enjoy squeezing my sack, I guess.. If I have a hook or not, I still shoot the same way.. Just squeeze... Simple.

IMHO the butt hook seems to ride a bag a little better during follow through due to a flatter surface, other than that its all preference. There is no good answer to your question, its all personal opinion. I have never loved the look of a rear butthook, but that's me. A standard stock will give you a greater and faster range of adjustment with a rear bag due to the consistent drop angle.

Haha!

Captain Kirk, I know in benchrest matches they say getting a stock to "ride the bag" is integral to accuracy. If the flat bottomed butthook rides the bag better than a standard stock would that imply that butthooks are more accurate than a standard stock?

It's not as easy as either squeezing the bag with a butt hook, or sliding the bag with no butt hook. I find that if I have multiple targets at significantly different ranges, or the terrain has lots of elevation, neither technique by itself is enough.

That said, I use a slanted-bottom buttstock. The reason is I find that both sliding AND squeezing my bag gives me more total elevation adjustment than either method used independently. To employ this method, a slant-bottom is required.

In addition, I've experienced my bag slipping off the butt hook under recoil. This doesn't happen with a slant-bottom design.

To each their own, but this is how I drive.

Last edited:
I am having the same dilemma right now. I am in the market for a new stock and I am wondering what the benefits to the butt hook are. I have no experience shooting a rifle with one, but it seems most people are leaning towards going with a standard slant bottom design. I would like to hear others opinions on this subject with what some of the positives or negatives may be with or without a butt hook other than just being a personal preference.

Take this from the perspective of a guy who shoots lots of KD stuff shooting F-TR.

I shot competition for about a yr and a half with a McM A5 before I switched to a more target shooting type stock. For target shooting off of a heavy rear bag, no hook, it limits your ability to get set up forward and back. For a shooting style where you may use your off hand to hold the stock in or if you carried a lighter weight bag that you squeeze, then the hook may be fine.

I've got two McM A5s, love them shooting in the field, but on targets where I have the time to get set up on a bag, no hook.

I would have thought that the slanted stock would be better for field use...can you elaborate XTR? Why do you find butthooks to be better for field use? Sometimes I won't be able to use my bag in the field so this concerns me.

I would think that you could move your support hand along the stock to adjust for elevation the same way you would a bag. I understand that the butthook gives you something to hold onto and push the rifle into your shoulder pocket but I would think adjusting for elevation quickly on the fly would be more difficult...but I could be very wrong...

May be just me being weird but I like the butt hook for offhand placement, otherwise it is a pain for getting hung up on stuff.
-JA