• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

To butthook or not to butthook. That is the question.

Sig33

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Southern Cal
I'm deciding on a stock for my next build, and I really like the Manners t4a, or McM a4. Both stocks obviously have butthooks which I have enjoyed using on prior rifles. But today I shot my buddy's manners t2a, which has no butthook. I really found it easy to use the slanted rear portion of the t2 to adjust for elevation instead of adjusting the rear bag. I just slid the bag forward or back, or pushed the rifle forward or back. It was really nice and simple.

So, my question is this: what are the benefits of having a butthook vs not having one (ie a slanted rear bottom end)? Is there any practical benefits for a field rifle for one or the other?

The rifle will be used for competition/field use. I may have my rear bag in some situations, I may not. No lead sleds or anything like that when I shoot.

Thanks guys.

I just enjoy squeezing my sack, I guess.. If I have a hook or not, I still shoot the same way.. Just squeeze... Simple.

IMHO the butt hook seems to ride a bag a little better during follow through due to a flatter surface, other than that its all preference. There is no good answer to your question, its all personal opinion. I have never loved the look of a rear butthook, but that's me. A standard stock will give you a greater and faster range of adjustment with a rear bag due to the consistent drop angle.

Haha!

Captain Kirk, I know in benchrest matches they say getting a stock to "ride the bag" is integral to accuracy. If the flat bottomed butthook rides the bag better than a standard stock would that imply that butthooks are more accurate than a standard stock?

It's not as easy as either squeezing the bag with a butt hook, or sliding the bag with no butt hook. I find that if I have multiple targets at significantly different ranges, or the terrain has lots of elevation, neither technique by itself is enough.

That said, I use a slanted-bottom buttstock. The reason is I find that both sliding AND squeezing my bag gives me more total elevation adjustment than either method used independently. To employ this method, a slant-bottom is required.

In addition, I've experienced my bag slipping off the butt hook under recoil. This doesn't happen with a slant-bottom design.

To each their own, but this is how I drive.

Last edited:
I am having the same dilemma right now. I am in the market for a new stock and I am wondering what the benefits to the butt hook are. I have no experience shooting a rifle with one, but it seems most people are leaning towards going with a standard slant bottom design. I would like to hear others opinions on this subject with what some of the positives or negatives may be with or without a butt hook other than just being a personal preference.

Take this from the perspective of a guy who shoots lots of KD stuff shooting F-TR.

I shot competition for about a yr and a half with a McM A5 before I switched to a more target shooting type stock. For target shooting off of a heavy rear bag, no hook, it limits your ability to get set up forward and back. For a shooting style where you may use your off hand to hold the stock in or if you carried a lighter weight bag that you squeeze, then the hook may be fine.

I've got two McM A5s, love them shooting in the field, but on targets where I have the time to get set up on a bag, no hook.

I would have thought that the slanted stock would be better for field use...can you elaborate XTR? Why do you find butthooks to be better for field use? Sometimes I won't be able to use my bag in the field so this concerns me.

I would think that you could move your support hand along the stock to adjust for elevation the same way you would a bag. I understand that the butthook gives you something to hold onto and push the rifle into your shoulder pocket but I would think adjusting for elevation quickly on the fly would be more difficult...but I could be very wrong...

May be just me being weird but I like the butt hook for offhand placement, otherwise it is a pain for getting hung up on stuff.
-JA