• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

johngfoster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
NW MT
I need some advise. I have a custom Remington 700 308 with a 25" Bartlein barrel that shoots great. I get 2700fps out of it with FGMM 175 SMK, and 2760 fps with my handloads. I have decided to get a Surefire SOCOM 762 RC can that I want to use on it. The can will serve across multiple 308 platforms (LMT MWS, possible 300blk upper, etc) in the future. My Remington 700 will need to get the barrel threaded for the muzzle device, and I'm wondering if I should also have the barrel shortened to 22"-23" at the same time. I use this rifle for deer/elk hunting, and am wondering if I should opt for the muzzle brake or flash hider as the mounting device. Thanks.

I don't know what contour barrel you have, but even if you cut it down, most precision rifles are heavy as shit to carry around. That being said, I would definitely chop a 308 down if it were 25" to start. I shoot a 20", and it works just fine. Don't worry too much about loss of velocity. You may lose a few fps, but who cares? The pros of a more compact rifle contend with the loss of velocity.

A muzzle brake will help recoil when you don't have the can on. As far as the barrel shortening; ask yourself are you willing to give up the velocity for more portability and slightly less weight.

IMO, (after owning 18, 20's, 21.75 and 26's) 22"-23" is the perfect length for a 308 with a custom tube... but I am biased, LOL.

Cut it, it is only a barrel, they don't last forever anyway so if you don't like it shorter make the new one longer, it is like a haircut.
Non issue.
Cheers

Thanks for all the replies so far. I really like my rifle the way it is, with the 25" barrel. My concern about chopping the barrel is how it will affect the trans-sonic performance/range, as I want it to be able to reach out beyond 1000yd. Yes, I know a 308 is not ideal for those distances, but I still want it to be able to do so as best as it can. Currently, at 75* F, my system is able to stay trans-sonic beyond 1300yd. However, by chopping the barrel, I'm worried that this will be significantly reduced. Portability is not really an issue for me with this rifle. It is over 14# and I don't shoot it off-hand. I believe the barrel profile is an MTU taper.

At first glance I would say cut it. 20-22 inches is perfect for me. But then you brought up two factors than have me saying leave it. 1. 1000 yard distances (no deal breaker) may have less accuracy from a shorter barrel. 2. MTU contour - not really a barrel to cut for weight. It's purpose is to be heavy and in most cases long. Either factor alone is not enough to justify leaving it full length, but both factors combined I say leave it alone.
Buy a new gun and build up or buy a new barrel (if you are in a position to do so).

It sounds like you already have your mind made up to keep it, so I say keep it

Cut it down to 20" and it'll do anything and everything you want to do with a .308. I personally will not go over 18" Barrel on a .308 for surpressor use.

My handloads are quite warm with this rifle, bordering on hot. With the addition of the suppressor, will that increase the pressure enough to potentially cause problems? I'm guessing so. Will shortening the barrel change this in any way? I'm assuming I'm going to need to go back to the drawing board and work up another load for the rifle after I start using the suppressor?

most of us are always looking for a reason to buy a new rifle. Buying a new one specific to your hunting needs with a shorter barrel might be an option to consider.